• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Process of challenging a Player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: The Process of challenging a Player Reply with quote

Hello. I'm a high school trumpet player as a junior, and this is my 7th year as a trumpet player. I had to miss Marching Band camp due to a surprise trip my parents pulled, sending me to the carribeans for two weeks. Just last Friday my professor has told me I would need to challenge the player in front of me to get my Chair back, and gave me a challenge form. Here are my Questions:

1: What's the process when challenging a player?
2: what can I do or say if the player I want to challenge attempts to decline it?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question for your director, not us, since it will vary.

But...

1. Whatever your director has decided. I would expect it to be on the form you were given. If not ask the director. (I would ask the director either way to find out what the challenge music is)

2. Typically the person, or persons, being challenged are given the option of accepting or forfeiting. No declining.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Process of challenging a Player Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:
Hello. I'm a high school trumpet player as a junior, and this is my 7th year as a trumpet player. I had to miss Marching Band camp due to a surprise trip my parents pulled, sending me to the carribeans for two weeks.

Yeah, that must have been a total bummer... Years from now I think you'll appreciate the trip, and the effort and expense your parents made for it.

Quote:
Just last Friday my professor has told me I would need to challenge the player in front of me to get my Chair back, and gave me a challenge form. Here are my Questions:

2: what can I do or say if the player I want to challenge attempts to decline it?

What does the form say? It has been ages, but when I last did such a thing the protocol was to let the BD and player know, agree on the time and music (mine included sight reading as well well excerpts from pieces we were playing), and then play your best. And as said above the challenged player may have choice of time and day but it was either accept or forfeit the chair.

Last edited by Don Herman rev2 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a "BD"?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dog

band director

main chingón
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
big dog
band director
main chingón

So, Band Director. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high school used a system where the two individuals went into a hallway and played the challenge music. The students then voted on who was better.

The high school was fed by two different middle schools and the one I did not attend had more students in the band.

Once when I challenged for position the other person made sure to speak in the hallway so his friends knew who to vote for.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Process of challenging a Player Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:

As always, the Horn players have distilled this process to its essence. Watch and learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB0QlxyguJY
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always tried to play as well as possible on whatever part I'm given. Having a most musical upper register (in tune, few if any cracked tones etc)

Eventually the word gets around. If Ive done my job in the practice room? Most civil minded trumpet players will concede the upper part to me. And if this doesnt happen? And the director refuses to acknowledge my legitimate claim?

I find another band. Unfortunately this did happen to me back in high school. Problem was? I could play trombone pretty well. That and there were already enough trumpets. Essentially I was being punished for my ability to play the trombone.

No arguing helped. I either played trombone or could choose to quit the band. So I truly feel for the O/P. Ass zive known a number of truly irrational music directors...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I challenged for first chair, I asked the director to choose the music. It was very close, but I got it.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: