• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

S.E. Shires Q&A: What do you want to know?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on our reverse pipes --

I was mistaken earlier, our Bb horns have a normal-style reverse setup like you would find on a Bach or Yamaha. We use the "hidden" reverse style for our C's.

Right now, only our Detwiler Artist model and one of our D bell models have the reverse leadpipe standard. However, we can set up any of our Bb or C trumpets with one as a custom order.
Existentialist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny@Shires wrote:
Existentialist wrote:
When will you have a ML bore version of the CVLA available to the public?

We're prototyping them now. I can see if I can find a relatively firm date for you this week.

That would be great, thank you! They look great in lacquer, and I am very interested.
Inderbinen Wood Flugelhorn
https://crciorba.com/
Zerbinatti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is really nice! I have recently got an Af Bb shires that has become the best horn I ever played. Never tried any Shires before. I just picked and played and never looked back! I know this is a variation from the A series, but I would like to know which are the changes or features that make this trumpet so unique. May this model be compare to any similar one in the mass market?
Thanks
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zerbinatti wrote:
This post is really nice! I have recently got an Af Bb shires that has become the best horn I ever played. Never tried any Shires before. I just picked and played and never looked back! I know this is a variation from the A series, but I would like to know which are the changes or features that make this trumpet so unique. May this model be compare to any similar one in the mass market?
Thanks

Great to hear!

So, the standard A -- bottom bell seam, round bead, and round bend. AF -- side seam, flat French bead, and square bend. You'll notice slightly more responsive articulations and clearer sound as a result.

A -- heavy leadpipe, larger venturi. AF -- lightweight pipe, slightly smaller venturi. You'll notice a more efficient (some may say tighter) blow and a more brilliant sound on the AF as a result.

The A models are my favorite. They're our "hammer' line -- all-purpose-do-everything-take-it-everywhere-sound-good-anywhere-make-it-work horns. Not quite apples to apples to the Bach 37, but the same idea. Our D bells are closer in profile to a Bach 37, but the A models are incredibly well balanced.
Existentialist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remain fascinated with the new CVLA horns. Would you be able to weigh in on which model has the closest blow and feel to the Benge 3X+ (.464 bore)?
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Existentialist wrote:
I remain fascinated with the new CVLA horns. Would you be able to weigh in on which model has the closest blow and feel to the Benge 3X+ (.464 bore)?

The ML IS now available. It'll be up on the website soon. We now offer a full M, ML, L, and XL bore lineup for our CVLA models.

I actually owned a Benge 3X for a time. The closest blow of the four for the regular 3X is the ML bore. I prefer the L and the XL bore, with the XL being my favorite. Results not typical -- everyone who has come in to play them has a different winner.

I will say though -- they are very efficient instruments; what you put into it more than doubles the sound result. They're meant to be Benge -- I don't want to say copies because that isn't accurate -- maybe custom tuned Benge horns? They retain the Shires playability, balance, intonation, and efficiency. They are what they are -- Commercial Vintage Los Angeles instruments. Different than anything we make, which is cool -- if you have the opportunity to try them, DO IT
Existentialist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny@Shires wrote:
Existentialist wrote:

The ML IS now available. It'll be up on the website soon. We now offer a full M, ML, L, and XL bore lineup for our CVLA models.

I actually owned a Benge 3X for a time. The closest blow of the four for the regular 3X is the ML bore. I prefer the L and the XL bore, with the XL being my favorite. Results not typical -- everyone who has come in to play them has a different winner.

I will say though -- they are very efficient instruments; what you put into it more than doubles the sound result. They're meant to be Benge -- I don't want to say copies because that isn't accurate -- maybe custom tuned Benge horns? They retain the Shires playability, balance, intonation, and efficiency. They are what they are -- Commercial Vintage Los Angeles instruments. Different than anything we make, which is cool -- if you have the opportunity to try them, DO IT

Sounds great! I'm close to Chuck Levin's, and I know the carry Shires. I must give them a try.
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still eager to hear your questions and thoughts! Ask me anything!

KP
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a standard weight bell with a steel bead with a standard weight leadpipe and tuning crook. So basically a 401 Standard weight everything. Every Shires horn is so nice, I would just love a lighter version.
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a model that's almost that, the 410. It's not up on our website right now, but is getting "rediscovered" by some of our artists and local pros. Standard weight 4 bell, steel bead, brass balusters and top caps, nickel bottom caps, flanged "Bach Style" W tuning slide. The only modification to put it to your spec is to make the leadpipe standard weight, and the 410 has a YEB leadpipe, the 401 has the 401 pipe. Tuning slide crooks, as with all our crooks only have one thickness.

The above 410 is actually my personal horn exactly, and is perfect for what is in my ear and what I do.

We are of course -- at our core -- a custom shop, so we can literally make you anything.
Eigentoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: S.E. Shires Q&A: What do you want to know? Reply with quote

Kenny —

What are the differences between the 401 and 401B trumpets?

Thank you!
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: S.E. Shires Q&A: What do you want to know? Reply with quote

Eigentoot wrote:
Kenny —

What are the differences between the 401 and 401B trumpets?

Thank you!

The 401B has a different leadpipe, slightly longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: