• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air compression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
David
Veteran Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been confused about comments around air compression. Maybe I've recently found something that may be it?

Should you FEEL a tight thread of air passing rapidly over the tip over the tip of your tongue (directly behind the point where it is in touch with your bottom lip) streaming into the cup of the mouthpiece?

And I mean my description very specifically - it really feels like a thread being pulled across my tongue.

If this isn't it - could someone please elaborate on what it really is?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-17 21:33
Good question. ..... Lemme give it a try. I think that Callet describes a wide and thickening tongue that curls forward, pushing against the inside of the upper lip which is compressing back against the top of the tongue as an isometric. Probably no single "thread" should be felt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,more a sensation of air pushing it's way past the above set-up all across the lip and tongue. Guys?

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-18 10:18
In the book "Trumpet Secrets", Trumpet Secret #5 (pages 20-22) details the Super High Note Embouchure. The wording is pretty much verbatim.

1) Top lip is to be held by your thick and curled tongue all the way to the corners of your mouth.

2) The jaw should be forward so the top of your tongue can press upward against the sharp edges of the top teeth. For articulation, your tongue should drop approximately 1/8 of an inch to allow the super compressed air to energize your lip vibration.

3) When doing this tongue control action properly, the air opening between tongue and teeth will become smaller and narrower. This will intensify all the air being blown to the lips. Do not move your lips. Allow this tongue action to control all changes in registers. (At this point, an illustration (E) shows a small opening between the top teeth edges and tongue.)

4) Even when you are articulating, the sides of the tongue will grip the inside edges of the top teeth. Do not press your lips together or stretch them tightly against your teeth.

5) When your tongue has built up full strength to resist your blown air for the top tones, the lips will easily vibrate. As you now play higher, both lips will be pushing forward toward your mouthpiece enabling you to play in all registers without strain.

6) Your lips must be full and thick and free to vibrate freely with a full rich tone.

And I believe those descriptions are what sound attractive about this methodology...the ability for one (with time and patience) to be able to feel that his/her trumpet playing has finally reached a level that might not have been experienced perviously.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham

[ This Message was edited by: Lex Grantham on 2003-06-18 10:35 ]

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-20 10:30
3) When doing this tongue control action properly, the air opening between tongue and teeth will become smaller and narrower. This will intensify all the air being blown to the lips. Do not move your lips. Allow this tongue action to control all changes in registers. (At this point, an illustration (E) shows a small opening between the top teeth edges and tongue.)

What is the purpose for the tongue-upper lip compression then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: