• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A little more progress.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-07-27 07:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a couple of "Ah-Ha's" recently and thought I'd share 'em. Lex posted about a phone lesson with Callet where he was advised to tuck the top lip in front of the top teeth, appartently insuring tonguing contact with the top tooth edge. This has helped me increase compression, thereby decreasing all effort. Seems like a good "lick."

Also, I discovered that my spit-buzz embouchure was not feeling quite like my playing embouchure, and that top lip swelling was always the terminator of my playing day. Now, I know what you're thinking..................tooo much arm pressure..............right? Wrong. I can tell. What I did was to lower the horn angle, creating a more even distribution of weight on the top and botton lips (tongue). Endurance has doubled and range stays with me the whole day. Now, my playing chops feel almost identical to my spit-buzz, and the tongue has become more of a factor as I ascend. Gonna try a bent mpc. to see how it effects things.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for critique. Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-07-27 12:05
Dave:

It is gratifying to hear of your advancements with SC/TCE. Here are some nice beneits that go along with the attempts:

Intonation
Tonal qualities (more consistent)
Endurance
Range (hopefully eventually).

BUT the most important thing that Jerry Callet has told me is the proper "spit" buzz. He told me recently that it is the main problem that students have with attempting his methodology. He also said that a player should work on compressing the air in his/her mouth and not be concerned about pushing from the abdominal muscles.

You said that you tried the upper lip tuck and it seemed to aid in your compression. Exactly what are you doing for the spit buzz and for compressing the air?

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham

[ This Message was edited by: Lex Grantham on 2003-07-27 19:03 ]

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-07-27 20:25
Lex, I think you're right about most of us getting the spit-buzz wrong. What helped me get it on the right track was Kyle's advice about starting with just a simple spatter, kinda like a tamer version of the old "rasberry" we used to do as kids. Gets the top lip used to buzzing on top of the tongue rather than on the botton lip. Raise the pitch by pushing the tip of the tongue down on the bottom lip, causing the tongue to arch up against the top lip which is in the isometric act of pushing back down on the top of the arch. (I know we're not supposed to use the "A" word, but I think it's OK as long as we're talking about in front of the teeth}

As the tongue gets stronger and the top lip gets stronger (Mmmmm), the spit and buzz happen without moving the tongue, just forcing the air through the isometric battle described above. Go ahead and force it in rather explosive fashion............don't be bashful. You'll begin to notice the tongue's tendency to strike the top front teeth edge, without losing the compression with the lip. It's a bit violent.........not a pretty thing. (have you heard Jerry do it?)

These "harsh" attacks are used to spit-buzz scales, arpeggios, or tunes..........for me, mostly from low C to C2 at first. When I gained enough strength to control the pitches properly, I started on the next octave up (something neither Kyle nor Jerry endorse, but has turned out to be of help to me in strengthening the "isometric" thing). I can spit-buzz either on top of the tongue or with closed embouchure supported by the tongue. The key is that isometric in front of the teeth.

Now, this upper register is where I discovered the top lip tuck. When I do it, the spit-buzz pitch wants to jump up about an octave. Just have to be careful not to let the corners spread back and tighten, or let the tongue fall back and release tip pressure on the bottom lip. The sensation is more from the SC days (more chin bunch), just more forward tongue. When you reported that Callet had you tuck that top lip, well, it rang a familiar note with me.

As for air support, Jerry never discussed it with me (relating to the spit-buzz). But judging from the sound he makes, that I try to duplicate, he's pumping pretty good from the gut. I know I am. Like I said...........it's not a pretty thing to behold. I hope all this makes some sense, cause I'm not exactly happy with the way it reads. Let me know if I've just added to the confusion. If so, maybe we can get together by phone sometime. Dave

[ This Message was edited by: Dave Converse on 2003-07-28 05:43 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: