• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two really good TCE exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-08-02 01:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With Mr. C's guidance, I've found two exercises that really help TCE development with minimum time and effort:

1) In "Trumpet Secrets", p. 44, the first exercise on top of page. Rather than one attack on each pitch, do two attacks. Then, expand to 3 and 4 per pitch as strength allows. Once you have the idea, vary the attacks as you like.

2)In E.F. Goldman, "Practical Studies", p. 40, the first exercise on top of page, the Yankee Doodle tonguing. At first, do single tongue, then move to the double tongue as indicated.

Both of these exercises are great for development as well as warm-up and acid test for progress. If you find them easy then you aren't using your tongue enough.

Check 'em out and let us know what you think. Best regards, Kyle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-08-02 05:46
Thanks,Kyle.............................we're "all over it like a fat lady on a bicycle." I have found it easier to maintain proper tongue position while triple tonguing than with double tonguing. Weird. Dave

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-08-02 12:12
<<If you find them easy then you aren't using your tongue enough. >>

I feel as though my tongue is like the cork in a bottle of champagne...that is...I am attempting to keep the cork in the bottle even though the carbonation/gas of the champagne usually forces the cork out with a violent propulsion.

By holding the tongue forward and trying to build up air pressure (which is certainly NOT all that easy), a certain feeling of quality seems to be "on the way". Jerry talks about tongue strength, but "whew".

Now, shouldn't things start to become easier with all these excessive maneuvers?

Thank you,

Lex Grantham

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-08-02 18:51
Lex,

<<shouldn't things start to become easier with all these excessive maneuvers? >>

If things are going correctly then it should all become much easier than ever before and in very short order. As you know, that's the whole point. If it's not getting much easier inside a week, certainly 2, then things aren't going right.

Best regards, Kyle

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-08-03 17:56
Kyle, in the event one (me) cannot locate one's (my) Goldman book, are there any other similar exercises (from maybe Arban's, Clark, etc.) that might substitute for the exercise you describe on the pg. 40 of Goldman's? Dave

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-08-05 22:38
Dave, The Goldman "Yankee Doodle" is fun and easy to memorize. But exercises such as Arban's Double Tonguing #81 - 86 (pp-175-6 in Carl Fisher) would certainly work just as well. Single tongue them first then move to double. As long as you use the TCE techniques you should see quite rapid progress with any exercises like these. Best regards, Kyle
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry liked a lot of the exercises in the Goldman book. When I studied with him, he especially liked me to do #1 and #3. Really work on "popping" the notes. Play the exercises very slowly, try to play with "lots of center", and "really POP the notes" (as Jerry said).

Play all these exercises very slowly. When Jerry and I would play them together at lessons (Jerry always playing an octave or two above me LOL), we would play them at about sixteenth note = 72 beats per minute. Obviously, rest when necessary. No way you're going to get through the entire exercise in one setting at that slow speed. Play sections of the exercises down an octave (it's important to build your chops from the bottom up, as Jerry so often says), and when you're advanced enough, play sections up an octave.

He also was a big fan of Schlossberg, exercise #97 on page 34, the first 3 lines (the part that's in the key of C). Again, play it very slowly with lots of center, and really "POP" the notes. When you're advanced enough, you can continue the pattern to the top of your range. Play # 98 also. Play VERY slowly, there is no need to try to increase the speed. Play VERY staccato, and VERY loud. Really "POP" the notes.

Tom

[ This Message was edited by: tomba51 on 2004-02-18 10:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tomba51 on 2004-02-18 10:40 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: