• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double & Triple tonguing w TCE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Young

Posted: 2003-08-10 22:23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyle, would you share with us how to get correctly started with double and triple tounging within the TCE methodology? A few years ago I asked Mr. Callet on the phone about this and he said to use a cough instead of a "k" syllable. What is your current understanding and best explanation of this technique?

Thanks!

Jeff Young

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-08-11 00:06
Jeff, I don't think I can be of much help with this. My double and triple tonguing were going alright before SC so I didn't investigate it with Mr. C. The TCE makes all of my speed tonguings much crisper and cleaner, but as I say, I already had the basics behind me. I used the standard Arban's technique of ever increasing the speed of the standard syllables. I was taught da-da-ka and da-ka and they seemed to work better than tu-ku. Yes, like Jerry says, the ka is kinda like a cough. The big thing I found was that as you keep doing and accelerating the syllables you reach a point where you start to fall all over yourself. At that point you just let yourself go and AHA you have it! Once you reach that AHA moment it's pretty much downhill from there. Hope this helps a bit. Best regards, Kyle

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-08-11 05:21
Jeff,

Like Kyle, my multi-tonguing was pretty good before, so it's just been an adjustment (and a really good one) to keep the tongue forward, TCE style. With TCE there really is no actual syllable sound for single or multi-tongue............just the famous "pop." However, I'm totally convinced that what helped me get the tongue forward initially and has aided ever since, was being taught (many years ago) to articulate with a "thu.........thu...........thu" for single, "thu.......guu.............thu..............guu" for double, and "thu........thu.........guu" for triple (the "u" sound as in "up"). This keeps the tongue between the teeth. It also helps in keeping the air moving throughout and the air helps move the tongue..................kinda a snowball or cumulative effect. Transferring to the TCE articulation just required the tongue to be more forward and wedged.

I think Kyle's really on to something here, in that the double and triple tonguing helps strenghen the TCE embouchure and tongue if done properly and slowly at first. Might really speed up the TCE conversion. Dunno. Hope this helps. Dave

Jeff Young

Posted: 2003-08-11 19:18
Kyle, Dave, thanks for the input. Since the movement of the tongue in TCE is shorter and crisper, all articulations become easier, including multiple tonguing. With the tongue in its correct position, it seems to me that the "k" syllable might be felt a little deeper in the throat. I'm sure that Mr. Callet had to help students who were used to arching the back of their tongues and therefore would instruct them to feel the "k" as more of a cough.

Now, back to the woodshed,
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Callet taught me to make the "K" sound "hard, like a cough".

Tom
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the spit cough, spit cough double tonguing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: