• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

University of Toronto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that this is a great school to go to and i was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the school and how is the trumpet teacher?
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie --

First of all, check out the website:

http://www.utoronto.ca/music/

The main teachers are Bart Woomert (associate principal, TSO, currently acting principal) and Jim Spragg (2nd in TSO). I don't have any personal experience with their teaching, but their students uniformly speak highly of both of them. I can personally attest that they are both fantastic players and great guys.

If you want to be a classical performer, you should definitely check out U of T. (Also McGill, although I assume you've considered that, too.) If you have any specific questions, send me a PM and I would be happy to try to respond.

Richard
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For jazz trumpet, there is Chase Sanborn. I have his "Jazz Tactics" book, which I highly recommend. Here is some information posted about him:
http://www.chasesanborn.com/chase.html

Janell Carter
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who teaches those who go into Music Education at UofT? Jeffery Renolds? Can you get any of the teachers even if you are a Mus.Ed. student?
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP_Dad --

I'm going to leap to the assumption that your daughter is interested in U of T and might want to get in with Bart or Jim. I can't imagine either of them reacting badly if she (or you) were simply to email them and ask them what the rules are. Even if there is a general policy of Jeff teaching the Ed majors, depending on your daughter's abilities and the schedules of the various teachers, it might be possible to make an exception.
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard for your response. I'll E-mail the university re: policy (closer to the time, still 2 years away from an audition), then Jim and Bart. When I attended UofT (+20 years ago). They seem to have default teachers depending on the course, but I was able to switch teachers in my second year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: