• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral Scores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a website or catolog that sells full orchestral scores. It's about time I start studying them and I would appreciate any info on where y'all have bought scores in the past. Cheap is also good! Thanks guys.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For inexpensive study scores you can't beat Dover. They have published scores to much of the standard repertoire and are readily available at most Border's or Barnes & Noble stores. If you like combing used book stores they can often be found for even less.

John Urness
jstrpt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dover scores try Patelson's Music in NY or Luck's Music. Many of the Dover scores will also contain more than one piece by the composer.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. One final question. Are the miniature scores good enough for study or should I invest the extra money and get the larger versions? Also, does anyone know where I can get a score of Symphonic Metamorphasis? I couldn't find a Dover published edition. It is my audition piece for orchestra next fall. Thanks!

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 08:01 ]
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I also recommend the Dovers for readability, or any other full-page score. It is very annoying with pocket scores when on some pages, due to too many instruments playing, you have to turn the book by 90 degrees and try to figure out who's who.

I strongly recommend taking the time to read as much of the score as you can, this will be a great sight-read and transposition exercise, figuring out the different clefs etc. It will help you place your part in context.

Way back, when I was more patient and enthusiastic, I would go to a music library, get scores and read them without hearing the music. I would read once through, concentrating on the strings and trying to hear melody, harmony and to some extent make sense of counterpoint. I would then re-read the score, looking at woodwind and then brass, trying to remember what the others were supposed to play. I ran through all the Bruckner, Mahler, Beethoven, Strauss, Tchaikovsky and many more scores and have built quite a collection at home. Then, when hearing a CD or getting to play a work, you are much more intimate with it and the way the composer achieves the sound effects.

FWIW,
Pierre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: