• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IIIB mouthpiece recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
random_abstract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: IIIB mouthpiece recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi all, I’m new to Reinhardt, doing a deep dive of late and pretty sure I’ve found the answer to years of frustration with symptoms that seem to be common to IIIB players, which I’m 99% sure I am. I plan to find a teacher soon to explore this further, but I’m curious if anyone can school me on the prevailing wisdom about mouthpiece choice for IIIB. I’ve seen a few bits and pieces on the forums: mostly recommendations to stay away from larger diameters and deeper cups. Is that true in general? Just curious if some of my mouthpiece frustration can also be connected to not properly understanding how my embouchure needs to pivot in order to function at its best.

Thanks in advance.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. If you really are a IIIB. Don't be so sure, most players misdiagnose themselves
random_abstract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I’m definitely downstream, receded jaw, have always had a big pretty sound up to high C but range tops out around D/Eb most days unless I’m in great shape and really working hard to keep my bottom jaw out. I’ve always loved my sound on 1/1.5 range mouthpieces but always seem to play so much better on a 3C. Problem is, if I go any smaller than that my tone gets airy and weak.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your range tops out at D/Eb then you're most likely playing too loud in the mid range and spreading your chops too open to have the necessary compression required for the upper register. This can happen with any type, it's not always a IIIB "thing" so, I'd suggest you have Dave Sheetz, Rich Willey, Doug Elliot or Chris LaBarbera diagnose you first to be absolutely sure. There's many variables involved.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest you book a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott.

You fit the description of the E-flat trumpet player Doc used to talk about. Most of them drop their jaw for the lower register, many of them tongue between their teeth, many have “multiple embouchures” (i.e. switch gears to go from tonguing to slurring or from low to high or from loud to soft, etc.), many are hitting themselves in the chops every time they take a mid-phrase inhalation, and a few other unfortunate habits perpetuated by teachers who swear by traditional styles of teaching.

Doug got me on a new path after years of being a Doc-diagnosed IIIB with continual chop problems. I strongly suggest contacting him and maybe he can start you down a better path, also.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:
... really working hard to keep my bottom jaw out. ...

------------------------------
Just a question, in addition to the physical position of your jaw, do you do anything about the rim pressure distribution between upper and lower lips?
Do you do anything about 'directing' the air stream?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I don't feel comfortable giving advice in a Reinhardt Forum without having had very specific and personal Reinhardt instruction. I know just enough about Reinhardt to know I know little about Reinhardt.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: