• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Well, I finally reached the elusive (for me) high E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC Horn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Well, I finally reached the elusive (for me) high E Reply with quote

High D was always my upper limit in high school and college. I set a goal of high E at the start of my comeback almost 16 months ago. (In other words, two half steps higher.)

It's been a rollercoaster ride, but today I finally nailed it — and held it.

I achieved it after buying a new mouthpiece, a Pickett 5D with a 10-2 backbore. It has really worked out well for me. It's not a lead piece at all, but it's extremely efficient for having a semi-large backbore and is perfect for big band section work.

Anyway, now my goal is to make the E consistent.

Long tones above the staff have really helped me.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, RC!

I've been on the comeback trail a lot longer and told myself to be very, very patient as I figured things out. I finally figured out that I had to do some rolling in of the lower lip (at least that what it feels like) to hit the E well.

And it's solidly there the vast majority of the time. I haven't made it a studied goal to go above that though I occasionally try the F. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it doesn't. But because I play mainly as a form of meditation for myself, and have to use a Harmon most the time given household logistics, going higher isn't a priority. I wasn't a high school hotshot, A was the top of my usable range.

You're right about long tones above the staff. I top mine out at G, maybe I'll take it up to A and see if there's a change higher up. The journey is the destination, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: