• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Improvisation - is there more to it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing improvising reminds of an experience I had when trying to overcome writer's block. Years ago I wanted to write a short piece of fiction for fun. I hadn't written anything for years and didn't have any ideas so I just sat there staring at a blank piece of paper. So I decided to break the ice by just writing any gibberish that popped into my head. After writing a few sentences of random nonsense an idea popped into my head and I ended up writing a short story I really liked.

I've had the same experience with music. Sometimes I won't be sure what key I should be in or won't have any ideas. But if I just stop worrying about it and just playing anything for a while eventually things start to flow and I can make a decent solo.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to find a local jazz trumpet instructor.

Some great comments so far, but yes, there's a LOT more to jazz than just hearing your way through tunes or playing whatever comes to mind. Sometimes it can be simple, but like any art form, it can be developed indefinitely.

johnlakejazz.com
JoeP5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found Mike Steinel's "Running the Changes" to be helpful. It has a nice mix of jazz theory and examples for practice. Play-along tracks are available for download.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: