• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Will a Bach 184ML cornet fit in a Protec PB-312 case

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
Hello Louise,

With my Bach 184 Cornet I found a Smith and Watkins flight case. It is easy to alter the inside foam to suit you and is very protective.

Thanks very much. Those are definitely very protective and I've very glad that you have found something that you really like, but I was looking for lightweight and easy to carry, with acceptable protection, as I'm going to be carrying it myself. I also like the idea of a shoulder strap.

For years, I've carried both my Yamaha Xeno II trumpet and either Yamaha Xeno or Yamaha Neo cornet in the below case, as I require both trumpet and cornet in my community orchestra and even my symphony orchestra at the moment:

https://johnpacker.co.uk/products/john-packer-jp851-pro-lightweight-double-trumpet-case

I love this case. I've however gone back to my original brass band who play a matched set of Bach 184ML cornets, and gotten my own Bach 184ML cornet back out.

I love my Yamaha Xeno/Neo cornets and was going to continue playing them in my community light orchestra and symphony orchestra, but the Bach 184ML is probably a better cornet for these applications, as the Yamaha Xeno and Neo are very much British Brass band cornets, and also I have rehearsals on consecutive days.

I find it easy to swap between trumpet and either cornet, but it has taken me a while to get used to swapping between both cornets. I think I just needed to familiarise myself with the Bach 184ML again. The Yamaha Xeno/Neo and Bach 184ML have a very different blow and feel, and slot differently, I don't mean in terms of slotting security, but literally where notes centre. Now I've become fully familiar with the Bach 184ML, I can comfortably swap between them, but I wonder how wise this is, when I have consecutive daily rehearsals and no home practise time in between.

For years, I have always thought that my Bach 184ML would be better for my orchestras but have left it at home, keeping to one cornet, the Yamaha Xeno and then the Yamaha Neo, as that was what I was using for my previous brass band.

Now that I have changed to a brass band that play the Bach 184ML, I could just put my Bach 184ML in my John Packer JPro case, retire my Yamaha cornets for now, and be done with it, but there are a couple of reasons that I want a separate case.

1. As I said previously, I now use a separate brass band accessory bag owing to now having a very heavy brass band folder that I don't want to carry everywhere unnecessarily. If I put my Bach 184ML cornet in my double case, after Tuesday's community orchestra rehearsal, I've got to remember to swap over my accessory bag, or I turn up at my brass band on Wednesday with no folder, hymns books and the wrong coloured stand for a gig. I previously used the same black fold up stand everywhere and carried all my folders in one accessory bag with one set of mutes and two K&M trumpet stands.

Keeping my Bach 184ML cornet case and brass band accessory bag together makes sense, as picking up the right case encourages me to then pick up the right accessory bag.

2. I've never liked the idea of having my trumpet with me unnecessarily on brass band gigs. Cases get piled up behind the band on outside gigs, and I've leaving my trumpet unattended. No one should fiddle with cases, especially since they are presumed to be empty and the band are nearby, but also someone could knock my case over or put something heavy on top of it. I do like the idea of a spare instrument in case a water key spring breaks or something, but I don't really want trumpet as a spare, although it would do in an emergency. I instead carry a Boosey and Hawkes Imperial cornet in the boot of my car to gigs.

3. Since I'm playing a Bach 184ML cornet, I thought that it would be time to get out my Bach 37 trumpet. I used to play all Bach, Bach 37 trumpet, Bach 184ML cornet and Bach 183 flugel, before swapping to Yamaha for my trumpet and cornet around eight years ago. I don't want the confusion of two identical double cases (the only one I've found that is designed to also carry a short model cornet in), and already having a Protec slimline pro pac trumpet case, I thought that I'd get the equivalent one for cornet, so I can either take my Bach trumpet and Bach cornet to orchestra rehearsals in two fairly small and lightweight single cases, or take my Yamaha trumpet in my double case and just carry my Bach 184ML singularly if I want to stick with the consistency of my Bach cornet that week, feel that it would be more suitable for the current repertoire etc.

If I'm trying to carry two single cases and an accessory bag, having something that I can put over my shoulder is advantageous I feel. I feel that something like the Smith Watkins flight case or Jacob Winter case would be great for my brass band, but impractical everywhere else, especially when my brass band use just one mute, the DW cup for everything (nothing to do with me lol), so I don't need the mute storage.

Sorry this was a bit wordy, but this was my logic for ordering the Protec PB-312 case. It is not the most protective, but it is small and easy to carry, and I feel that it is the best compromise.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that music stand and band folder type are influential in what type of case you chose.

US players seem to primarily use manhasset style music stands that have a carry bag that is the right shape for carrying a band folder.

When I first started playing, people tended to use K&M stands that folded up very small. These used to be all metal and very strong for their size. Nowadays fold-up music stands seem to contain more plastic, especially on the screws, and the cheaper brands are often made of a lightweight metal with an inner tube in which the screws screw into, which wears away leaving them no longer able to be tightened. Whether these cheaper stands or the better K&M versions, most modern fold up music stands fold fairly large nowadays, and often have their own carry case with handle.
How do you carry this? Separately in its own carry case, and it is another thing to have to remember to pick up, or in some very long bag, or open topped back in which it can poke out the top of?
Also what type of band folder do you have, a cardboard foolscap one containing just the current season's programme, or some massive heavy one with 300 pieces, that even if technically would fit to some extent in an outside case pocket, you wouldn't want the weight of it over your instrument when the case is laying down, and your case would probably topple over when stood upright?

I've lived with this minor dilemma for years lol as have no doubt most of us, and I think that unless you use a manhasset style music stand and carry your music folder in your music stand bag, you ultimately end up with an instrument case and accessory bag.  You then need to decide where to carry your mutes and trumpet/cornet stand(s).

There are three options how I see it, in a mute compartment in your case, in a clip on mute bag, or in your accessory bag.

I have a Protec M400 mute bag, but there are no fixings on my John Packer double case for a mute bag, and although there maybe (I haven't looked) on my slimline Protec trumpet case, I think that clip on mute bags are pretty cumbersome.

Swapping between different instruments in different cases, it makes sense to me to keep my mutes in my accessory bag.  This then makes mute spaces in cases redundant, hence me going for small, light and reasonably protective cases, since I only have to carry them to and from my car, not fly with them or travel with them in the luggage component of a coach.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I prefer to carry my mutes in a hard case with my instrument, I ended up buying 2 sets of mutes - one for the cornet case and one for the trumpet case. Not the most thrifty approach, but I don’t like carrying an extra bag of mutes around. It’s just personal preference, and we all have reasons for arranging/carrying our horn junk in certain ways.

For gigs where I need both trumpet and cornet, I bought a Protec triple case. The trumpet goes in the rear slot, a set of mutes and other paraphernalia go in the center slot, and the cornet goes in the front slot. It’s a little heavy, but that leaves a hand free for opening doors, etc.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Since I prefer to carry my mutes in a hard case with my instrument, I ended up buying 2 sets of mutes - one for the cornet case and one for the trumpet case. Not the most thrifty approach, but I don’t like carrying an extra bag of mutes around. It’s just personal preference, and we all have reasons for arranging/carrying our horn junk in certain ways.

I completely agree. Do you think that part of the reason for your preference, is that you use a manhasset music stand, and carry your band folder in your music stand bag? I just wondered for interests' sake whether if you used a fold-up music stand, that has a long, thin carry bag, so needed an accessory bag for your music folder, whether you would still prefer to carry your mutes in your case. Like you said, we all have our reasons for carrying our equipment in certain ways.

For gigs where I need both trumpet and cornet, I bought a Protec triple case. The trumpet goes in the rear slot, a set of mutes and other paraphernalia go in the center slot, and the cornet goes in the front slot. It’s a little heavy, but that leaves a hand free for opening doors, etc.

Sounds a very good option. Does your cornet fit in the Protec triple well? Any of my cornets fit well in my JP Pro double case, as it is designed to be able to hold a short model cornet, but the top will not close on any of my other double cases (Modern Yamaha double case supplied with my Xeno II trumpet, old fashioned hard Yamaha double case, Bach hard double case) with a cornet in one of the slots.

Many thanks

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

I completely agree. Do you think that part of the reason for your preference, is that you use a manhasset music stand, and carry your band folder in your music stand bag? I just wondered for interests' sake whether if you used a fold-up music stand, that has a long, thin carry bag, so needed an accessory bag for your music folder, whether you would still prefer to carry your mutes in your case. Like you said, we all have our reasons for carrying our equipment in certain ways.

Sounds a very good option. Does your cornet fit in the Protec triple well? Any of my cornets fit well in my JP Pro double case, as it is designed to be able to hold a short model cornet, but the top will not close on any of my other double cases (Modern Yamaha double case supplied with my Xeno II trumpet, old fashioned hard Yamaha double case, Bach hard double case) with a cornet in one of the slots.

Many thanks

Lou

Yes, the Manhasset stand bag is thin, but rectangular, since the full-size music shelf doesn’t collapse. A music folder will slide right in the bag with the stand, along with smaller items like a stand light. Much of my playing these days is in a location with a stage and stands, but I have to carry the stand and light when I sub in the brass band (I resigned my regular seat a number of years ago because I tired of playing show tunes and pop music) or sub in big bands around town.

The Protec iPac triple case is plenty deep enough for the Bach 184. I have a 1980s Bach double case that came with my C trumpet, and used to own a Bach quad case, and neither were deep enough for the Bach 184 (or any other short cornet, for that matter). Since the interior padding is modular, I can also carry my Bb and C trumpets in the Protec triple when both are required for a gig, or one instrument and a sack lunch…
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Many thanks

Lou

Yes, the Manhasset stand bag is thin, but rectangular, since the full-size music shelf doesn’t collapse. A music folder will slide right in the bag with the stand, along with smaller items like a stand light.

Thanks very much Dale.

Much of my playing these days is in a location with a stage and stands,

Already set up stands? That is nice.

but I have to carry the stand and light when I sub in the brass band (I resigned my regular seat a number of years ago because I tired of playing show tunes and pop music) or sub in big bands around town.

The Protec iPac triple case is plenty deep enough for the Bach 184. I have a 1980s Bach double case that came with my C trumpet, and used to own a Bach quad case, and neither were deep enough for the Bach 184 (or any other short cornet, for that matter).

Thanks very much. This is what I've found. Even the modern back pack style Yamaha double case will not hold a short model cornet:

https://www.bandsupplies.co.uk/products/yamaha-ytr8335rs-xeno-trumpet-silver-plate-product (case in this link).

Since the interior padding is modular, I can also carry my Bb and C trumpets in the Protec triple when both are required for a gig, or one instrument and a sack lunch…

I like the term sack lunch lol. I had to Google it. We say packed lunch here lol. Also as musicians in the UK, we dep. Sports people sub lol. The same language but loads of different terms.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: