• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Imperial Flugelhorn 1956 value?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Martin Imperial Flugelhorn 1956 value? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 1956 Martin Imperial flugelhorn.My tech cleaned it and removed some minor dents. The compression is quite good. The lacquer is missing in places. The case is clean and comes with a Bach 3 no letter MV cornet mouthpiece in excellent condition.
These instruments seem to be quite rare. Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to a realistic asking price? Thanks so much.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple/three (? one or two are "project horns").

Generally, you should expect something in the range of $750 ~ $1200. The higher figure would be dependent upon presence of the proper, original case (in good/decent shape), and the horn itself in very-good / excellent condition.
Although; somewhat "rare", as you mentioned, they are not the easiest horns to
play (intonation somewhat "sketchy"). VERY (!) mouthpiece sensitive.
These Imperial model version were typically high-school band instruments.
The more desirable models are the Magna, and the rarer Committee. I have each.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I concur with your experience. I have a bunch of cornet mouthpieces in the 3C range. I have not found the one that really works yet. The intonation is a little wonky.
The sound is interesting but overall I would prefer the Imperial cornet model. I had an RMC era in excellent condition. Had to sell because of divorce. No regrets about the ex but I really loved that cornet.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
I have a bunch of cornet mouthpieces in the 3C range. I have not found the one that really works yet. The intonation is a little wonky.

I have the Reynolds Emperor stencil of your Martin flugelhorn. It came with a Martin mouthpiece marked "1F". The "F" may stand for "flugelhorn", but it has a shank unlike any of the modern flugel mouthpiece shank variations.

The horn plays pretty well with that mouthpiece. If you can find one, you might try that with your horn. Unfortunately, they are rather rare.

By the way, I paid $600 for mine (eBay auction). However, that was 20 years ago. There is a Martin Imperial flugel on eBay right now for $3,850, but in my opinion that is wishful thinking of an absurd variety.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Halflip"]
Uberopa wrote:

... There is a Martin Imperial flugel on eBay right now for $3,850, but in my opinion that is wishful thinking of an absurd variety.

As Clement Clarke Moore ... (or, was it Henry Livingston, Jr.?) wrote, in the poem, The Night Before Christmas

...visions of sugar plums danc'd in their heads.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: