• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pitch Generator with Harmonics?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Pitch Generator with Harmonics? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a program that will generate pitches, and also let you adjust the presence and strength of different overtones? The Tonal Energy tuner app has a display mode that shows different harmonics, as you can see here:

https://youtu.be/i0vLl5jlsbg?si=ZcAJsOWz5U3Q0beW&t=377

But, what I'm wondering about is if there's an app that can let me create a fundamental pitch and vary the overall harmonic content of the sound so as to hear/demonstrate sounds with more or less harmonic content.

Thanks!
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Anyone?
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Tonal Energy app will do what you're asking, if I undertand your question. You build chords by designating a tonic, and then adding harmonies. Then you can tell it to sound your chord in various tunings, such as even-tempered or just intonation. I don't think there's a way to adjust the volume of individual pitches in the chord, but you might consider leaving some voices out entirely, to focus on the remaining harmonies.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizB wrote:
I think the Tonal Energy app will do what you're asking, if I undertand your question. You build chords by designating a tonic, and then adding harmonies. Then you can tell it to sound your chord in various tunings, such as even-tempered or just intonation. I don't think there's a way to adjust the volume of individual pitches in the chord, but you might consider leaving some voices out entirely, to focus on the remaining harmonies.

That is a good feature, for sure, but what I'm thinking of is for the overtones in a single note, not a chord. In a sense, it would be like a mixer for one note, but with the frequencies altered being very specific.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I did misunderstand your question. Sorry about that.

I've been researching stem splitters for transcription purposes, and have been amazed at what can be done with them. RipX uses AI in its software to separate stems, and the website examples are remarkable. With all the manipulation that can be done, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an AI answer to your question.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, wyou seem to be after is an old fashioned synthesiser. Like a Moog, where you select the waveform, attack decay and also the MODULATION of the sound. It’s the modulator that sets the different harmonics, but I suspect you’ll need to dig deeper if you want to split out various harmonics, such as higher partials…

Cheers

Andy
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I occasionally use https://mynoise.net, which is exactly what you are asking for. they have a wide variety of drone sounds and styles, with precise overtone tweaking.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an Indian drone instrument, emulated electronically, that sort of does what you want. It's called a shruti box or tanpura. Mine is made by Radel. Search the app store for your device and you might find an emulator, or there's online sites as well, for example:
https://humtools.com/app/tanpura/#
https://www.spardhaschoolofmusic.com/tanpura

A Hammond or pipe organ emulator might work too, those have stops for harmonics.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of possible solutions

https://onlinetonegenerator.com/multiple-tone-generator.html

https://meettechniek.info/additional/additive-synthesis.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: