• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music you don't want to play

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
ramado24@clarkston.k12.mi wrote:
west side story, I simply did not. Who the heck decided that a double sharp was necessary and not confusing?

Correct spelling of accidentals is appropriate. It's only confusing until you learn to read music with all the possible accidentals, which is a very good thing to learn, and can avoid confusion.

The audience doesn’t care how the accidentals are notated - they just want the piece played correctly. I see no reason for double sharps, double flats, and notes such as Cb and B# that make the music more “thought provoking” for the performer just because they are correct because of musical convention.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the heck decided that a double sharp was necessary ...

Leonard Bernstein.
Quote:
... and not confusing?

Who the heck decided that double-sharps are confusing? And who the heck decided that a musician who is confused by an ordinary double-sharp should be playing West Side Story?

If it's confusing, someone needs more time in the shed. Double sharps are not weird, esoteric, or complicated. They are not confusing unless you choose to be confused rather than simply learning how to read music. Even less so, E-sharps and C-flats. They are all an essential core part of tonal music notation and theory. They indicate the tonal context of a note in a key or chord, rather than just representing each pitch in isolation.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
mm55 wrote:
west side story, I simply did not. Who the heck decided that a double sharp was necessary and not confusing?

Correct spelling of accidentals is appropriate. It's only confusing until you learn to read music with all the possible accidentals, which is a very good thing to learn, and can avoid confusion.

The audience doesn’t care how the accidentals are notated - they just want the piece played correctly. I see no reason for double sharps, double flats, and notes such as Cb and B# that make the music more “thought provoking” for the performer just because they are correct because of musical convention.

I agree.
Sometimes, I truly believe the composer's primary instrument is the didgeridoo ... and the arranger gets off on little "cutesy" crap.
tptLad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltkije1966 wrote:
I never want to play LeRoy Anderson's Sleigh Ride again in my life! It's not horrible, it's just painful.

Very surprised to see only one sleigh ride on here!

That's one I'd actually like to play at some point just to see how bad/painful it is.
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes those things come our way, though it's rare. The best example I could think of was "The Barry White Experience" several years ago.
The music came in too late for the library to go through it properly. The string parts did not match the horn parts, and neither matched what the band was actually doing.
Aside from that, the band wasn't very good, and the lead singer shared little with Barry White aside from a very tangential physical resemblance.
People were demanding refunds by intermission.
And yes, I played it, because it was part of my job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: