• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon exercise help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdavis

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Claude Gordon exercise help Reply with quote

Claude gordons 'systematic approach to daily practice" has a series of lessons, 52 in all i think, that are designed to make you a better player....for those of you who are familiar with the material, is it the general consensus that you should spend as long as you need to master each lesson, then move on? Im having trouble with the first lesson, so basically im asking if this book can be aimed towards a begginer?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Systematic Approach" is not for a beginner or intermediate player. If you don't already have a decent High C and a fair amount of playing ability in general, the book is too advanced for you.

You should get Claude's book "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing". It contains about 28 lessons, each to be done for a week or two. By the time you get all the way through it, you'll have a range up to a good strong High C and you'll be ready to start "Systematic Approach".

"Physical Approach" assigns material out of the Saint Jacomes book as well. Buy both at:

http://www.claudegordonmusic.com/index.htm

Best wishes,

John Mohan
http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Andiroo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should get Claude's book "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing". It contains about 28 lessons, each to be done for a week or two. By the time you get all the way through it, you'll have a range up to a good strong High C and you'll be ready to start "Systematic Approach".

I've been playing for about 7years (although only got really into playing/practising about 2 years ago). I don't have a high C (one above the stave?) yet! Are you sure that in only 28lessons/weeks this is attainable with this material? It seems I’ve been playing for soo long and can’t do it. Just recently I started on the James Stamp method although don’t notice any improvement if anything my tone has gotten worse, on the quiet notes they aren’t as clear as they used to be(may just be a temporary thing) I think there is an element of double buzzing (basically there’s a weird spittle sound). As for James Stamps free buzzing idea all it’s doing is introducing more tension…
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andiroo wrote:
Quote:

I've been playing for about 7years (although only got really into playing/practising about 2 years ago). I don't have a high C (one above the stave?) yet! Are you sure that in only 28lessons/weeks this is attainable with this material? It seems I’ve been playing for soo long and can’t do it. Just recently I started on the James Stamp method although don’t notice any improvement if anything my tone has gotten worse, on the quiet notes they aren’t as clear as they used to be(may just be a temporary thing) I think there is an element of double buzzing (basically there’s a weird spittle sound). As for James Stamps free buzzing idea all it’s doing is introducing more tension…

This will absolutely work, if you stick with it!

Since you've been playing for a while, start out on Lesson 6 in "Physical Approach" and do each lesson for one week, exactly as written.

You'll have your strong High C by the time you get to the final lesson, and probably before that.

Cheers,

John
grooveduke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your avatars John!
shagnscooob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey john id like to ask how you think CG works as a supplemental material?

i realize that if i stick wtih his stuff eventually im going to be so swamped by all the stuff he recommends, but if im started on lesson 6 of PA...

and if i do use it as a supplemental material, how should it fit in to the rest of the stuff im playing out of?
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shagnscooob wrote:

i realize that if i stick wtih his stuff eventually im going to be so swamped by all the stuff he recommends, but if im started on lesson 6 of PA...

and if i do use it as a supplemental material, how should it fit in to the rest of the stuff im playing out of?

To ask this question is to misunderstand CG. CG couldn't be supplemental because it in itself is complete. CG is a lot more than the range studies. In fact, most of the CG approach to development could be done without doing the range studies at all. It's all that other stuff, what you call the stuff CG "recommends," that form the main structure of CG. Clarke, Arban, Irons, Gatti, St. Jacome, Smith, Harris, etc. aren't just a few suggestions CG recommends you do after doing the CG method. They are the very essence of it, done as he prescribes.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Bryant wrote:
shagnscooob wrote:

To ask this question is to misunderstand CG. CG couldn't be supplemental because it in itself is complete. CG is a lot more than the range studies. In fact, most of the CG approach to development could be done without doing the range studies at all. It's all that other stuff, what you call the stuff CG "recommends," that form the main structure of CG. Clarke, Arban, Irons, Gatti, St. Jacome, Smith, Harris, etc. aren't just a few suggestions CG recommends you do after doing the CG method. They are the very essence of it, done as he prescribes.

Exactly!
bandman

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need some direction with how to use the various Claude Gordon practice books. I've read the comments in this thread and can see that following the CG method takes more than buying the books. Anyway, here's my situation and question(s):

I'm a comeback player having played now for about 6 years after a 30 year layoff. I play in a community wind ensemble that gives 10 concerts a year, and performs material from marches to large concert pieces. I play for the joy of playing trumpet. My playable range is from low F# to D above what we usually call high C. I'm not so interested in increasing my range above the F, since what I play never calls for anything more. At present I am working on using the modified K tonguing to improve single and double tonguing. Other present goals are improving breath control, remaining relaxed as I play, endurance, phrasing. While I have made good progress the last few years, I lack an overall approach or plan to improving.

The core of my daily practice routine includes Arban (scales, tonguing, intervals), Clarke Techinal Studies (exercises #1 and #2 warm-up, fingering, range by taking some of them up an octave), Goldman (tonguing, endurance) Colin Lip Flexibilies, and CG Daily Trumpet Routines (tonguing, breath control) and Tongue Level Exercises (tonguing and intevals). So, my question(s) are:

1. How do I know the best way to practice to improve my playing?

2. Do I start at the first exercise in both CG books or do I start on the exercise I can't play well?

3. Do I need the CG Daily Practice book?

4. Where could I find a teacher who would develop a lesson plan for me?

Any advice, direction is appreciated.

Rick
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I hope these answers will help you to get started. If you practice CG's routines as a comprehensive system, you can expect all aspects of your playing to improve substantially. All the books represent parts of the total routine. I, and most others, will recommend using the Earl Irons book in place of the Colin flexibilities, especially as you begin.

1. How do I know the best way to practice to improve my playing?

Focused, systematic, and purpose-driven repetition is best. A comprehensive approach, such as Claude Gordon's will give you a thorough and balanced preparation that will prepare your independent skills in an integrated way. Finally "How, What, and When to practice" makes all the difference. As you progress, pay attention to your progress, and adjust your routines so that the material that makes up your routines remains vital and appropriate to your current needs. Rest often and regularly.

2. Do I start at the first exercise in both CG books or do I start on the exercise I can't play well?

If you can play the pedal tones, begin the systematic approach on Lesson Two. The pedals don't have to be perfect... they will develop over time, but you need to be able to play them so you can practice to improve them. Similarly, the Daily Trumpet Routines should begin on Lesson Three, unless you cannot play lesson One and Two. Since everything after this point requires you to perform the exercises with a number of articulation models, you need the basic level of slurring represented in the first two lessons. If this is difficult, play the exercises hundreds of times slowly and softly, resting regularly, until you develop the knack.

3. Do I need the CG Daily Practice book?

I assume this is the Daily Trumpet Routines? Definitely, yes! It is a terrific opportunity to develop a solid foundation of fundamental skills through focused repetition.

4. Where could I find a teacher who would develop a lesson plan for me?

If you PM me, I would be very happy to help you put together a carefully considered sequence of CG routines. Alternatively, there are a number of former Gordon students who frequent the TH..... successful performers and teachers... of whom John Mohan (Chicago), Jeff Purtle (SC), Eric Bolvin (SFO) and Matt Graves (NY) are probably the best known to TH members... who would also be quite happy to help you.

Hope you find this information helpful, and best of luck!

Regards

Dave
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
"Systematic Approach" is not for a beginner or intermediate player. If you don't already have a decent High C and a fair amount of playing ability in general, the book is too advanced for you.

"Physical Approach" assigns material out of the Saint Jacomes book as well. Buy both at:

http://www.claudegordonmusic.com/index.htm

Best wishes,

John Mohan
http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm

Hi I know this is an old post but I was looking up the Physical approach method. Should you do the daily routines as well with it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: