• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Resource for auditioners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Resource for auditioners Reply with quote

Hi Trumpet Herald,

Thank you to everyone who purchased my 4-Week Arban Routine. I am hearing positive changes from people who are working through it, and I'm glad it is proving useful.

I have finished my latest project. This one is a little more niche, admittedly, but I wanted to also share how it can be adapted by anyone who has a love of classical music and classical trumpet.

You should know, I created this for deeply selfish reasons. It started with some committee feedback I got from advanced rounds of one of the best orchestras out there (hint: I didn't win). This was an orchestra that performs at a level that, frankly, I have not experienced often, and miraculously got through a couple of rounds. But here's the interesting part... when they came into my room after we played finals and told me they picked the other person, I *thought* I knew why. I missed a note or two, some things could have been better centered, etc. Then I got the feedback, and it was none of those things. Needless to say, I was initially perplexed! All the things I practiced didn't matter? Uh oh. So I got to work metabolizing that information, and this is what I've come up with. The question I arrived at was, how do you sound like you play with a better group... when you, you know, don't? How do you sound like you make thousands per week when you are lucky to get mileage? I think it is a very, very normal problem to have, and probably a big issue for many that otherwise possess the skills to do well.

I know a lot of you are like, but Andy, I'm not taking auditions, why do I care? I would retort, because the things that make a winner are also the things that drive us to love our work, love classical music, and love practicing our trumpet. My favorite part of this resources is the listening journal. So if you have ever wanted to take a little curated tour through the important orchestral repertoire for trumpet, this is a great way to do it. In short, I think there is something here for everyone who loves orchestral trumpet. I have made it available because I think it has value and can help people (and my college loves when I make stuff with their name on it). Plus, it's cheap, the price of a solo trip to Chipotle, so you really can't lose.

In my Etsy store you can also find a packaged deal to purchase both the 4-Week Arban Routine and Operation Canopy at a slight discount, if you so desire.

Here is the link to Operation Canopy: https://square.link/u/yAz1P39W

Here is the link to the "educator's bundle":
https://square.link/u/9BQGhCmJ

Thank you, and as always, don't hesitate to PM me with questions!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are on to something here, but it runs deeper than auditions. It should infect every note we play. Getting that across to some is a challenge, and they play in a corresponding way.

I was talking about this to a retired contrabassoonist just today. The art of playing the repertoire in an ensemble and making it greater than the sum of the parts is not something you can easily show in an audition, unless you can play outside of the audition in your mind.

Not many can do this!
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I work on this every day. I’ve got a couple of other things in the pipeline that I hope will continue to help move the needle, as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: