• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cut Down a 10 1/2c to 3c?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Cut Down a 10 1/2c to 3c? Reply with quote

With mouthpiece makers now commonly scanning and copying pieces, has anyone cut down an existing say 7c or 10 1/2c to a 3c rim/cup? It would appear there's plenty of brass to work with. Use an existing scan to cut down the rim and cup, leave the throat and backbore, and you'd have an ersatz Mt Vernon 3c.

I've got a half dozen Mt Vernon Bach pieces that are smaller than I play, and don't fetch much on the used market. Maybe they could be re-purposed? Here's a 10 1/2c and 3c overlay from the comparator.

1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass is cheap, and it's much easier to work with fresh stock rather than machine an old mouthpiece. Many old mouthpieces have throats and backbores that are drilled off center, and then you can factor in wear to the shank, pre-existing modifications, dealing with old plating, and variances in the Bach blank over time, and recutting an old mouthpiece now involves hours of prep work by a machinist before you can even start cutting. Compare that process to loading up a bar of brass stock and hitting "start" on a pre-existing CNC tool path. Some people swear that NY Bach mouthpieces are made out of a special alloy of brass and that it has a tremendous effect on the sound, but I think this is more based in superstition than fact.

It's also worth noting that the value of a Mt. Vernon 3C is almost exclusively due to the collector market rather than any merits of the actual mouthpiece. There are at least 10 different companies offering some sort of Mt. Vernon 3C replica, and none of them even come close to the price of an authentic Mt.V 3C on the secondary market. If you modified an old 10.5C, you'd have a mouthpiece that might share the same geometry with a 3C, but has none of the collector value of the real thing.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can certainly be done but it would cost more to have the lathe work done and plate it than to buy a new mouthpiece unfortunately.

I have bags full of 10 1/2 to 7C size mouthpieces in various condition that I need to recycle or donate as well.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompette229 wrote:
It can certainly be done but it would cost more to have the lathe work done and plate it than to buy a new mouthpiece unfortunately.

I have bags full of 10 1/2 to 7C size mouthpieces in various condition that I need to recycle or donate as well.

Exactly. Plus, a 10 1/2C would need to be accommodated in order to fit into a 3C rim, which would mean modifying the cup. You don't really know what you will get or how the mouthpiece will play until you actually play it. There is at least a 50% chance that it will go straight to the junk pile. Better to spend on something that you can either try out first or return.
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly confident that this process does already take place and the "holy grail" scammy Mt Vernon/NY 3C/1.5C/1Cs that float around on ebay in "pristine+polished condition" for $500-$700 are often times a result of this process. Seems like someone buys a bunch of Mt. Vernon pieces for cheap, cuts out the interior to approximate a larger size, buffs off and re-stamps the # on the outside, then replates the entire thing and calls it "great condition" for $400-$700 on ebay
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insensato wrote:
I am fairly confident that this process does already take place and the "holy grail" scammy Mt Vernon/NY 3C/1.5C/1Cs that float around on ebay in "pristine+polished condition" for $500-$700 are often times a result of this process. Seems like someone buys a bunch of Mt. Vernon pieces for cheap, cuts out the interior to approximate a larger size, buffs off and re-stamps the # on the outside, then replates the entire thing and calls it "great condition" for $400-$700 on ebay

I suspect that's probably the case.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ktcustommouthpiece.com/custom-work/
So $45 to $50 plus $10 shipping to plus $10 shipping from - so $65 to $70.

Compared to $65 new with free shipping.

Now it makes sense if you wanted a custom size like a Bach 4 1/2 or an 8 1/3.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insensato wrote:

I'm not trying to be contrary or mansplain (there are definitely scams out there) but recutting the interior and buffing the exterior (would actually require cutting due to the depth of the stamp) and then re stamping and plating would be more labor and cost than just producing the fake and the exterior would end up a noticeably smaller diameter. Plus, if you're buffing off the engraving, what would be the advantage to using an old Mt Vernon in the first place?

Most of the scams are just reproduced copies. Take a look at all of the no brand Monette type copies on amazon where you get a 3 pack for $20. It's far easier and looks better to just make a copy from scratch unfortunately.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just contact one of several excellent mouthpiece makers/falterers and tell them what you want? I recently had a Frankenstein combination mpc. made by one maker and a completely, designed from scratch. mpc. made by another and in each case, I didn't pay more than $200.00. Or did I miss that?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insensato wrote:

These mouthpieces have some interesting stampings on the particular size, for sure.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some benefit to recutting a larger cup on earlier Bach mouthpieces, but only inasmuch as the early mouthpieces (I think only in NYNY, and maybe not even the later ones of those - but I can’t remember when the change occurred) are made with a different brass mixture (more lead) and they can produce a slightly different sound. Once they changed over to the standard free machining brass, there is generally no magic or benefit to reusing an old piece (until you get to the newest mouthpieces made with lead-free brass…)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: