• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Typical insertion amount for a Bach Strad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
going back and forth between the two, different styles, volumes, covering my full range etc., playing the same on each.

In my opinion, this is a good way to get "impressions" of horns, but until you play just 1 horn for a while (a week or more) and spend a long session or two on them, you won't know how the horn actually plays.

Yes, I agree, but in my opinion you need to start off with something that plays well for you and that you like. At least I am in this position now.

I cannot possibly play just one horn for a while, as I have to double trumpet and cornet. I could play orchestral cornets parts on a trumpet, but I cannot play trumpet in my brass band.

When it comes down to it, I don't need or really want to play two similar Bb trumpets. Either my Xeno II or Bach 37 would work for my orchestras. I wouldn't eventually mind something a bit more commerically orientated for my big band.

So what do I do? Choose one? I love my Xeno II and don't really want to stop playing it. Alternate the two? Even though I could do my home practice on the one that I'm playing that week, I don't really want the inconsistency of playing one trumpet one week, and the other trumpet the other week. Also, which do I pick for the performance?

I bought my Xeno II originally as a replacement for my Bach 37, when it had valve problems that I was struggling to get solved. As I said a fair few times, I had no money at the time, only an as new Besson 928 Sovereign to trade in. I contacted all the local music stores, and one retailer had an ex-demo Xeno II that they were prepared to trade for my Sovereign cornet, with only a little extra for me to pay. To be honest, a straight swap would have been more fair financially, but the retailer obviously wanted to make something out of the deal, and since I never played the Besson 928 Sovereign cornet, playing a little for something I'd use, seemed a good idea, and this Xeno II has served me very well. In a nutshell, I don't need a Xeno II and Bach 37.

I think I have two choices, use my Bach 37 (I honestly think that this Bach 37 is a better commercial choice out of my two Bbs) for my big band only, and don't rehearse on it at all, since my big band rehearsal is on a Friday after a week of orchestra/brass band rehearsals, and I can get back on my Xeno II over the weekend (at least until the brass band season starts at the end of next month) ready for Monday, or keep my Bach 37 only as a good spare.

At the moment, I'm just happy to have set up my Bach 37 to my liking. Maybe one day, I'll decide to go back to playing all Bach, since I'm back on my Bach 184ML cornet and play a Bach 183 flugel. I honestly don't think that it will make any difference. But that would mean not playing my Xeno II. As I said above, in all honesty I don't need a Xeno II and a Bach 37. I don't think anyone does lol.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

As I predicted. Please, get a new leadpipe. ...

----------------------
Are you certain that there is trouble with the leadpipe itself that warrants complete replacement? Why not remove the receiver and do a detailed examination of the leadpipe? Perhaps there is a problem with the receiver itself.

I'm mentioning this as a general thought for others (not directed at Louise) who encounter a similar situation.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

As I predicted. Please, get a new leadpipe. ...

----------------------
Are you certain that there is trouble with the leadpipe itself that warrants complete replacement? Why not remove the receiver and do a detailed examination of the leadpipe? Perhaps there is a problem with the receiver itself.

I'm mentioning this as a general thought for others (not directed at Louise) who encounter a similar situation.

Although this general thought wasn't directed as me, to follow is my opinion regarding my trumpet. My trumpet is 24ct scratch gold plated with shiny gold plated highlights. The price of gold plate is very high at the moment, and I ideally don't want a leadpipe that does not match the rest of the trumpet. Therefore, I would only replace the leadpipe if necessary.

There is absolutely no red rot in my leadpipe. It was replaced by Leigh at Eclipse Trumpets, a very renowned UK trumpet builder and repairer. Leigh has offered to look at my leadpipe, but I haven't yet had a chance to go and visit him and may not bother if I don't want anything done, as visiting will require complicated childcare arrangements for my older daughter with learning difficulties.

I'm not sure that there really is anything wrong with my leadpipe anyhow. I've looked down the leadpipes of my Bach 184ML cornet, and my colleagues Bach 37*, and neither of them have such an obvious ledge at the top of the leadpipe as my Xeno II. I wasn't going to go sticking anything down the mouthpiece receiver of my colleague's trumpet, especially since he has some red rot in his leadpipe, but I can feel the top of the ledge of the leadpipe of my Bach 184ML. I cannot my Bach 37. Lipshurt of this forum (a mouthpiece maker who clearly knows his stuff about leadpipes) looked at the best photos I could get, and said that it appears that my leadpipe has been properly and professionally bevelled before installation, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. It just makes the trumpet blow bigger and open, I believe he said. I
originally chose my Bach for big band playing, and quite a few players who have played it have felt that it is lends itself more for big band/jazz than orchestral playing. My amateur tech colleague (Ian) said that compared to his 37*, my Bach is more of a "jazz trumpet".

I actually overall prefer my Bach 37 to my colleague's 37* and another colleague's 1982 Bach 37, which both have their original Bach 25 leadpipes, and since I may use it for big band playing, I don't really think that the leadpipe is a problem for me. I have my Xeno II, which personally I find to be a very good trumpet for both my symphony orchestra and community orchestra. A Yamaha 9335 NY may be better for my symphony orchestra, but probably not for my community orchestra in which we play a variety of styles not just orchestral, and my 8335 Xeno II has an appropriate sound for symphony orchestra playing anyhow, at least in my opinion. A slightly more jazz orientated Bach 37 may actually be a good thing, as I don't need another trumpet for orchestral playing, other than as a spare, and this way, I may actually find a more regular use for my Bach 37. I played my Bach 37 in my big band yesterday, and it worked very well. This isn't quite a big band. It is almost in terms of instrumentation, but it is called the American Songbook Band, and we play American Songbook repertoire, and light jazz and latin standards. I play lead, but not lead like Wayne Bergeron. Just 1st trumpet, doubling, well tripling trumpet, flugel and flute. I'm not playing above D over high C, and in the stave as often as above. I play a lot of ballads and melodies on trumpet/flugel, and obligatos on flute.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m married to a very good modern jazz saxophonist, who runs the jazz band (Well we run it together, but I do more the library side of things), and talking to him about my plans, he says that he has always liked my Bach 37 for jazz, so the jazz band it is for my Bach 37.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Valid question. The short answer is: life is too short to salvage (--in my estimation -- defective) parts that aren't that expensive. A leadpipe costs less than some mouthpieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: