• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The (Updated) Trumpet Mouthpiece Comparator

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
I would gladly loan my 3BBC to scan to add to the Curry scans for comparison, especially with the TC and VC, but I don't want to pay for it.

The project is at the mercy of the community’s donations (“community” broadly speaking). If you’d like to see an in-production mouthpiece size or line added to the comparator, you should contact the manufacturer directly and express your support for the trumpet.cloud comparator project. We can add their profiles in whatever quality they will provide us, and we don't charge for submissions.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
I would gladly loan my 3BBC to scan to add to the Curry scans for comparison, especially with the TC and VC, but I don't want to pay for it.

The project is at the mercy of the community’s donations (“community” broadly speaking). If you’d like to see an in-production mouthpiece size or line added to the comparator, you should contact the manufacturer directly and express your support for the trumpet.cloud comparator project. We can add their profiles in whatever quality they will provide us, and we don't charge for submissions.

OK. Thanks. If you will, you can please contact Mark Curry and see if he will loan you a 3BBC cornet mouthpiece to scan. If not, I will send you mine if you can find someone to pay for the scan.
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to see the Giddings Hickman rim on the comparator one day. Thanks Chadwick for the amazing job thus far!
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionx wrote:
Hoping to see the Giddings Hickman rim on the comparator one day. Thanks Chadwick for the amazing job thus far!

In the mean time, you can down load VennCad from Vennture mouthpiece. Last download I did, VennCad had the Hickman rim in it's library.

The Hickman personal rim measurements are in the comparator's XLSX download file. They are very similar to the Neill Sanders 17 series rims.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionx wrote:

Whoops, it looks like this one was left off for some reason. I think it was because we were unable to generate a 3D version of it at the time.

Here you go: https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VUA006420&mpc2id=VB006500

Cheers!
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
Bionx wrote:

Whoops, it looks like this one was left off for some reason. I think it was because we were unable to generate a 3D version of it at the time.

Here you go: https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VUA006420&mpc2id=VB006500

Cheers!

AWESOME, thanks Chadwick!
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year! Some quick updates to share with you all:

1. New "Share/Save" buttons to auto-create TrumpetHerald and Reddit links (Desktop and Mobile)
- These pre-populated links also include the exact alignment of the A/B selection as well as the background color
- PRO TIP: Want to have custom names instead of the defaults? Click or tap the "Switch to text input / autocomplete mode" button and edit/shorten the mouthpiece name(s) as desired. When ready, click or tap the respective URL generator button to copy the custom code to your clipboard.

2. Background color adjustment via URL.
Click one of the three buttons in the top left-hand corner to set the background color, which gets saved into the URL / Address bar.

3. New ⓘ info bubble options appear for many mouthpieces

The intended use of the ⓘ info bubble option is to link out to scientific/technical mouthpiece info and manufacturer spec sheets where possible. In the case of manufacturers that directly participate in the Project, it will probably link out to their OEM store listing.

If you have any links that would be appropriate to share in the ⓘ info bubble for a mouthpiece listing (or for a whole manufacturer), send that link in an email to the address listed on the trumpet.cloud site.

Check out the changes today! https://trumpet.cloud/mpc

Message me directly if you encounter a bug or other issue. Thanks!
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Thank you for this site Reply with quote

Chadwick, I wanted to thank you for your immense effort to provide this site.

Using your site, I was able to find a mouthpiece that is very similar to mine but a trace shallower to give me a slightly easier high range in big band without making any change in feel. I would not have been able to try this mouthpiece before buying, but I was confident in making the purchase based on your diagrams. It worked out beautifully.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words, Matt — glad you found a better mouthpiece because of the comparator project!

The project's library wouldn't be as expansive without the continued contributions from the trumpet-playing community at large. Vennture's working as a scanning / curation partner, and the site can take their scans quite easily if you or someone you know wants to contribute. Manufacturers can send in their profiles directly as well (multiple formats are accepted), and we can link out to their store listings directly — see the Wedge line as an example.

A recent contributor has amassed an intriguing collection of mouthpieces and catalogs from across the world, and has shared his scans with the community (read about Josh Hefner's collection here). The BachLoyalist crew sent over some rare Bach Aida mouthpieces, and a number collector finds have come through the project of late. The Giardinelli Miles Davis mouthpiece comes to mind as one of the more memorable contributions to the project.

Thanks again — enjoy!
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadwick wrote:
Thank you for the kind words, Matt — glad you found a better mouthpiece because of the comparator project!

The project's library wouldn't be as expansive without the continued contributions from the trumpet-playing community at large. Vennture's working as a scanning / curation partner, and the site can take their scans quite easily if you or someone you know wants to contribute. Manufacturers can send in their profiles directly as well (multiple formats are accepted), and we can link out to their store listings directly — see the Wedge line as an example.

A recent contributor has amassed an intriguing collection of mouthpieces and catalogs from across the world, and has shared his scans with the community (read about Josh Hefner's collection here). The BachLoyalist crew sent over some rare Bach Aida mouthpieces, and a number collector finds have come through the project of late. The Giardinelli Miles Davis mouthpiece comes to mind as one of the more memorable contributions to the project.

Thanks again — enjoy!

I have maybe a dozen pieces that are not currently in the database. Could I just send them somewhere to get scanned specifically for the comparator project (and not in order to make a copy)? If there's someone offering this, I'm happy to cover shipping.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeirvine wrote:

I have maybe a dozen pieces that are not currently in the database. Could I just send them somewhere to get scanned specifically for the comparator project (and not in order to make a copy)? If there's someone offering this, I'm happy to cover shipping.

You might want to try getting one or more of them scanned by Vennture Mouthpieces. You can use those files in their VennCAD software, which will give you lots more data and views of your mouthpieces. It's possible you could arrange a bulk scanning deal with that company (send them an email to inquire about that), especially if you've got some rare collector mouthpieces to share with the community.

There are some other scanning vendors that come to mind (like James R. New), but I think he and most others generally require a work order in order to bulk scan mouthpieces. The Project itself doesn't maintain scanning technology at the moment — our professional scanning partners are doing great work in this space today.

Send your VennCAD files or other scans to the email address listed on the comparator page. Depending on the scan source, we may need additional info to properly process it (e.g.,outer diameter, throat size, length). Thanks for your interest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: