• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Problems with sound increase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Problems with sound increase Reply with quote

Hello everyone, my first post on this forum, I have been following this forum for some time now and it has been a great learning experience. I'm from Brazil, in my country there are no professors specializing in Claude Gordon, so this forum is my only resource for answering questions.

I started the Systematic approach to daily practice, I'm in the first lesson, and I'm having a problem with noise in the sound when I increase the sound volume, it seems to be from the lip, as if it wasn't handling the pressure and started to vibrate in the wrong way and produced a noise, I'm not squeezing them, in fact the more I separate them, the more noise appears, I don't know what to do, has anyone here experienced this? If yes, how did you solve this problem? Any tips or knowledge will be welcome. Thanks
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open lip setting versus closed and touching lip setting… (one way to see this)
Yes many trumpeters have experienced this.

You will get many suggestions to try on this site…..

Soft playing helps the lips learn to stay close.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the mouthpiece slightly to one side of your usual embouchure.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been playing the trumpet?
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was off for 10 years and came back 3 months ago, I don't remember if this happened 10 years ago.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't microanalyse it. Just practice long tones quietly then long tones going from PP to FF, stopping when the sound starts breaking up. Be patient.

Don't change your embouchure setting, learn to adjust as you play.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo,

One of my students is Brazil named Paulo Silva. Contact me privately for his contact info. He teaches at a university there.

Regarding long tones and open and closed aperture I would say ignore that. It doesn't agree with the CG or Herbert L. Clarke concepts. You are likely not resting enough or playing the pedals too loud or missing that on Part II it is only a brief 3 count crescendo and not the same as the long holds in Part I that are more of an isometric exercise for developing the muscles for blowing.

You also can't just do that book by itself. Too many people think they are going to use that one book and accomplish everything. It is about how you put various books together as part of a smart routine.

I see you are new. I would suggest listening to the 200+ hours of free Claude Gordon audio on my site. Just create a free account and click the link in your email you when you are logged in you can listen to everything in the "Claude Gordon Archives" area. Otherwise, you can only listen to the 4 featured items on the home page under "Editor's Picks."

There are also a bunch of free YouTube videos I posted from my brass conferences that have demos and more complete info about various topics. That's also free.

I'm available for masterclasses in person or with streamed 4k video and I have taught private lessons online now for 20 years and in person for 40 years. I don't mind a brief video chat for free either to see if we are a good fit and to answer a couple questions.

All my contact info is below and easy to find.
Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: