• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pressure Headaches

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
... I found when I backed off on body tension and not trying to push as much air as is humanly possible trough the horn, I had no more headaches. ...

-----------------------------------------
I'm curious where you learned (or got the idea) that using air in that manner was a goal, or 'proper technique'.

I'm interested to learn about the pedagogy (whatever the source) guided you in that direction.

I certainly agree with the need for having adequate air available, and being able to control and adjust the pressure and flow, but 'as much air as is humanly possible' is not something I recall anyone recommending.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
What is "over breathing"?

Also known as hyperventilation or overventilation, that is, inhaling more air than necessary under normal conditions.

Already in 1957 it was discovered that overventilation results in partial analgesic effect, namely, the threshold for pain would become higher:

"It seems that overventilation will cause some degree of general analgesia which could presumably potentiate the effect of an anaesthetic agent. The mechanism whereby this happens must next be investigated."

The ingenious method by which this was determined was this:

" ... it seemed that comparing the pain threshold under normal conditions and in the hyperventilated subject might be of value. Such a comparison has been made on myself and on others using the following technique.

The pan on the top of a household spring balance reading' 0 to 20 lb (0 to 9 kg) was removed and replaced by a roundheaded screw. It was found that applying the head of the screw with increasing pressure to the anterior surface of the tibia of a conscious subject would cause a sense of pressure which would suddenly change to one of pain. When this change occurred the pressure being applied was read off the scale. A reading, constant to within about a pound, was obtained over the length of the tibia, provided
that the extremities in the region of the knee and ankle were avoided. Presumably this was because of the greater amount of subcutaneous fat in these areas.

The psychogalvanic reflex (i.e. the change in skin resistance that occurs with certain stimuli) was recorded during one of these experiments and was found to be initiated at the same moment as the pain reading on the spring scale, which suggests that this may be an accurate method of measuring the pain threshold. It is simple and can give moment-to-moment readings."

But wait, there is more!

Fig. 1 of the paper can be summarized as:

Before hyperventilation, the baseline threshold of pain was measured by above method at 7 lbs. After 1.5 minutes of overventilation, the threshold of pain it would increase in a nearly linear fashion and would reach a peak of value of 14 lbs. In the next 3.5 minutes of hyperventilation, the threshold of pain would, however, decrease to about 9.5 lbs - higher than the baseline but lower than the peak.

Quoting the conclusions from the paper:

"It is interesting to reflect that overventilation causes analgesia and that pain causes overventilation."

In other words, there is a positive feedback loop.

Brit. J. Anaesth. (1957), 29, 111
THE CEREBRAL EFFECTS OF OVERVENTILATION
(Preliminary Communication), by John Clutton-Brock
Department of Anaesthetics, University of Bristol
https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/29.3.111
WinxonN44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, ok overall thank you everyone for the help. I appreciate all of it. I think the efficiency is probably very key, and the problem was and still kind of is a mix of everyone's advice and diagnosis.

Trying to build my register past high c I really relied on brute air power so now I definitely have to start to focus on playing efficiently now, especially since the top notes aren't useable most of the time in musical context.

Thank you all again
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that, and good health. Hopefully you’ll be able to sort things out.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:14 am    Post subject: air pressure Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think you might be playing with too much compression on your high E.

Somehow you might think this is your highest note and then compress the embouchure and maximize the air pressure.

So basically you are pushing against yourself.

Perhaps some excercise that may help:

* articulate the high E with SOFT or MEDIUM volume/dynamics
* play the notes with a more OPEN APERTURE
* RAISE the tongue arch to change the airflow
* try slotting the high E to F#, G and back to F#, E, D and high C
* try to slot the partials from high C to E or high C to D to E
* take MEDIUM DEEP BREATH and articulate the high C and high E (no valves)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: