• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery Vintage Besson trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity got the better of me so I had a quick look into serial numbers and this trumpet appears to be from the mid 70s - contemporary with the high-end 'Besson International' brass band instruments discussed in the text Krax quoted. The parent company might have seen a marketing benefit in implying Besson was still a distinct 'maker' but the Besson factory in London was long closed by then - everything was very much made by Boosey & Hawkes!

Mike
Deanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, ideas, speculations AND research! I had tried to find out what I could but was hitting walls. 1970s.... hmm.. interesting. I have wondered also if it's better than just a student model given the slide triggers.

AND I just found this discussion and links to photos of the same one I was looking at by searching "1970 besson international trumpet" in Google! (thanks for the 1970s info!!)

https://trumpetboards.com/topic/1308/early-70-s-besson-info-wanted/6
The photos:
https://imgur.com/sSxUcM1
https://imgur.com/77A0U2B

It sounds from that discussion that it is/was a good horn.

Still the one I saw does have currently non-working valves, etc. Well, I'll be out and about tomorrow and will stop in to see if it's still there. Perhaps if it is, I'll see if they'll drop the price. I'd be surprised if they do but I'm game to ask! I won't pay what they are asking, tho.

I'll let you know one way or the other.

Cheers!
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Deanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Just curious -- what is it about this horn that appeals to you so much?

If it's playable after repairing and is an upper model, I'm curious about it's sound, for one thing. I have a friend who exposed me to a couple of other brands of trumpet (one was a Calicchio) and they were interesting/fun to play. So...musical curiosity.

Also, saving or bringing life back to a good instrument (but only if an upper level-pro instrument) is part of it. It looks interesting with the way they've done the triggers and water keys.

And, having/owing an older instrument though as I consider it now, it's not that old. Not like my Conn from the early 20s. And, my Benge is from the late 1970s I think, or early 1980s. I got it used in 1984.

I've been a Benge and Bach player (Yamaha for my picc) forever and now I'm exploring new sounds and equipment ....but only as it shows up in a display case in my local town! LOL.... I found my old Conn in an antique store in Kingston for $125 20 years ago. I had a suspicion it was a decent horn in its day as it had a good working 3rd valve slide! Plus the detailing on the silver (frosted all around except the moving parts, and the bell scroll/name, and inner bell are shiny silver).

Halflip wrote:
If at all possible, bring someone along who can tell if the valves are merely gummed up from being extremely dirty, or if they are seized due to a distortion of the valve block or pistons. The latter will cost you $600-$800 for a rebuild of all three valves.

Ah! Good point about the possible cause of the unmovable valves. I figured they were stuck due to lack of use but you're right. It could be other reasons. I'll look closely on the off chance they drop the price.

I probably could have simply answered: curiosity!

Funny thing is, I'm not really looking for a new (or new to me) trumpet. I'm interested in a getting a Flugel horn. Had it been a Besson Flugel, I may have just bought it! One thought that went through my head was if the Besson was a good horn, maybe it would be sellable/tradeable for a decent flugel. Or, even help with a down payment! ........ultimately, all kinds of speculation!

Anyway... long answer to a short question.

Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deanna wrote:

Actually, long answer to a deleted question.

After I posted it, I thought I might be getting unreasonably emotionally invested in trying to talk you out of that horn, so I deleted my post (but not quickly enough, it seems ). Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to answer.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Deanna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Deanna wrote:

Actually, long answer to a deleted question.

After I posted it, I thought I might be getting unreasonably emotionally invested in trying to talk you out of that horn, so I deleted my post (but not quickly enough, it seems ). Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to answer.

Oh! ....LOL.... It's okay and kinda funny.
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Deanna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sold! And, not to me.

I went by yesterday and the trumpet was not there. So, someone is thinking they can do something with it and likely for the price that it was advertised.

Ah well... even without getting this trumpet, I have learned some trumpet brand history and that's good.

Thanks for your interest and help about this trumpet!
Conn Bb (early 1920s)
Yamaha Piccolo
Jupiter Pocket trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: