• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who makes the best Bach Mt. Vernon 6C replica?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sadly, I don't sound like Chet Baker or Lee Morgan with it.

I didn't know that they both used the same mouthpiece.... Very different results!

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpjerele wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, I don't sound like Chet Baker or Lee Morgan with it.

I didn't know that they both used the same mouthpiece.... Very different results!

Indeed. Don Goldie played one also. I'm surprised it fell out of popularity. It's a very nice piece. Feels great on the chops and gives a nice snappy sound. The current Bach 6C has a somewhat different rim.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
But, the hole is around a 28 (3.6mm), so that would be one size smaller than the normal Bach hole.

Interesting. I didn't know that.
Jacko1235

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there unfortunately appears to be a dearth of Mt Vernon 6C mouthpieces, I went the bespoke route and Mark Curry is making me a mouthpiece. I initially wanted a slightly bigger ID MtV 6C with a brighter cup but after chatting we agreed on a number of changes.

The price is extremely reasonable at $158 to the US but for me it's $189 to Aus. Definitely an option worth considering.
Aj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry Custom would be a great option. Let us know how it goes.

Here's my recent explorations tested on both a Strad AB190 and a 1946 Committee and comparing to my Bach Corp or large letter 6Cs I own, :

Reeves Classical Series 6C Standard Shank
I love my standard Reeves pieces so I was excited to try this one. The size/feel of this rim is nice. Rounder with some bite to it. It is efficient to play. My only issue was intonation was compressed and top C was very flat for me. This was the case with both horns. Overall it had a robust sound and was still very efficient compared to a Corp.6C. The standard shank on these is a Reeves #5 sleeve (I asked), so I was surprised with the intonation as I like #5 for my Bach with all my 42 sized pieces. The overall shank length is as long as a Schilke, if not a hair longer. I would like to sleeve this piece or try on some more horns.

James R New NY6 / MV 1 1/2 Cup (27) [Top]
I acquired this with a few backbores from a generous TH member. This rim is very comfortable with a good width. I like it better than the Reeves rim. The ID felt smaller, perhaps due to the high point. This was flatter however, not nearly as flat as a Curry 6C. Cup was more voluminous compared to Reeves 6C but it is a 1 1/2C cup. Being able to experiment with backbores is a bonus as I was looking for that versatility. Efficiency if playing Jazz or bigger sound if playing Concert Band / Legit. All done with the backbore change. JRN Studio Backbore worked well for Jazz. No problems with intonation with JRN Backbores - standard is the same as a #4.5 sleeve (thanks to Jim for the quick reply on this).

Pickett 6C/27 Top #3/27 Backbore c/s
This is a nice piece. Rim is similar in comfort and shape to the JRN NY6 though ID feels slightly smaller again. (could be in my head tho). This feels like the best all-round piece for sound vs efficiency. Being sleeved I had no problems dialing in for each horn.

Why am I exploring 6C? I like the sound a good Bach 6C makes, the way the articulation pops for Jazz is nice and does make it easier to achieve the sound I am looking for. However, I find the Bach 6C a little in-efficient over a long gig, so hence why I a looking for the "Holy Grail' of 6C. I may never find it, but its the journey that counts, right? I am going to work with what I have for now and will be perhaps tempted to try some things with Jim New. Maybe a standard NY6 with a few more sleeved backbores for versatility.

Hope that helps someone.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aj wrote:
JRN Studio Backbore worked well for Jazz. No problems with intonation with JRN Backbores - standard is the same as a #4.5 sleeve (thanks to Jim for the quick reply on this).

I am thinking of getting a Jim New MV6C top and his Studio "S" backbore. Do you find his Studio backbore to be fairly open?
MisterBighorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see a thread on the Mt. Vernon 6C, a forgotten mouthpiece. A Martin Committee paired with a Mt. Vernon 6C is a classic jazz combo.

http://gamonbrass.com/en/offer/trumpet/Bb/1723
Aj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreakFromTheHerd wrote:
Aj wrote:
JRN Studio Backbore worked well for Jazz. No problems with intonation with JRN Backbores - standard is the same as a #4.5 sleeve (thanks to Jim for the quick reply on this).

I am thinking of getting a Jim New MV6C top and his Studio "S" backbore. Do you find his Studio backbore to be fairly open?

I liked it straight away. Doesn't feel tight or bright but still more efficient than the standard bach. That's for me anyway who likes a Reeves #2 backbore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: