• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mystery of Edwin Drood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Mystery of Edwin Drood Reply with quote

I start run of Drood in two weeks. I did a short run of it about 40 years ago, before I started taking any kind of show notes about particulars.

I would imagine there's an updated version since that time for me last century. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about any updated editions, but I do recall from a run of this show that I did about 10 years ago that the "audience vote determining one of several possible endings" was in play when I did it.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insensato wrote:
Not sure about any updated editions, but I do recall from a run of this show that I did about 10 years ago that the "audience vote determining one of several possible endings" was in play when I did it.

I know. That's the entire "hook" to Drood.

Was hoping to know about do I need flugel or picc - that kind of stuff.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the first trombone book in a production of "Drood" around 35 years ago. I distinctly remember the first trumpet player borrowed my picc for the show. I don't remember if the trumpets played flugel, though the second trombone player did play euphonium (might have been a part written for the tuba player that he covered), and it seems like if euph was called for flugel would be too.

It also seems likely that given that the original orchestration called for tuba and euphonium, it has probably since been re-orchestrated.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.concordtheatricals.com/p/92679/the-mystery-of-edwin-drood-broadway-revival-version

here it says flugel double
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Drood book in the mail today. It is the Concorde Theatricals rental, and typical of Concorde, the information on their website is not accurate. It calls for Bb trumpet, flugel, and piccolo trumpet. Picc is not mentioned on Concord’s website...and there is quite a bit of picc in the show. Possibly the most picc I’ve played on any previous show.

It’s also the Broadway revival version from 2012, which has only one trumpet.

Three mutes - straight, cup & Harmon. It does not indicate if it's Harmon with or without stem. I have first rehearsal a week from today and I’m going to start off with using stem, simply because of the time period of the story. If it fits I’ll stick with that if not I’ll take the stem out.

Range: C, C#s, Ds, Ebs, E, F, G & Ab (the last three are on picc).

There is actually quite a bit of flugel and picc in the show. All of the picc is written for picc in Bb, but with the amount of sharps in those segments, I’ll be doing this all picc in A.

I’ve done just a quick perusal, and horn switching management seems very doable. There are a couple of sections where going between straight mute and open happen rather quickly.

Typical of Concord, the notation font is small. Not as small as some, but it’s definitely not full size like it should be. But the good thing with a Concorde rental is you don’t have to worry about erasing any marks you put in the book.

It’s been 35 years since I last played this show, but just from looking through it it looks like there are some fun things to play. Also a couple of things I’m going to have to take a closer look at just to get them in my fingers.

brandon14020

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim!!

I am playing this show in a couple months, and your insight is extremely helpful in preparation.

Thanks for all the information you help to provide for us all.

Good luck on the show!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time listening to the OBCR (2012 revival) to get an idea tempos and a few things like that.

My question about Harmon mute with or without stem was answered in that on the recording, the trumpet player played it without stem. And in hearing it in context with the entire song, absolutely that's the right way to go.

Also means less schleppage.

trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish the run of the show yesterday. This is a wonderful musical. I would happily play it again anytime I get called to do it.

Below are my show notes, which include some mistake corrections:

The Mystery of Edwin Drood / 2012 Broadway revival version (Concord Theatricals)
Bb, flugel, Bb piccolo trumpet. Every picc cue lays nicely for picc in A.

Straight, Cup & Harmon no stem.
A few fast St. to Open sections, otherwise easy mute management.

Range: C, C#s, Ds, Ebs, E, F, G & Ab (the last three are on picc).

Quite a bit of flugel and picc in the show.
All written for picc in Bb, but all in sharp keys. Easier for picc in A.

Typical of Concord, the notation font is small.
No need to erase any markings.
A lot of group rests have not been split to indicate phrases.

And a couple of things to look at more closely. Those things include:
No.9 “Both Sides of the Coin.” If the tempo is brisk ms 73 - 83 are a bitch.
No. 11b “Dog Hunt” bugle call.
No. 13 “Off to the Races” ms 81 - 108.
No. 14 Entr-acte “An English Music Hall” ms 1.

Stuff:
No. 3a “The Nun’s House (Underscore)”
It’s a tacet for the trumpet. The tune is 6 bars long, comprised of three sets of two-bar repeats. However, as soon as the tune is done it’s an attacca to #3b, which we play.

There are a lot of very fast, quick ques in both Acts, but especially in Act I. A bunch with very little time in between, like from 5 to 20 seconds or so. That happens on many of them. Some of those also have horn and or mute changes. Be prepared, don't get caught off guard.

There are no extended dialogues in Act I. The longest is maybe two minutes. Act II has several extended dialogues, and those are towards the end of the Act.

It is a very quick-paced show.

There is some fun stuff to play and there is some real trumpet stuff to play.
Also some very beautiful melodies with very lush underscores.

MISTAKES:
No. 17e: “Voting Underscore & Don’t Quit Reprise”
ms 82 should be a whole rest. ms 83 1st beat should be a Bb qtr note (from previous ms)

No. 19b: “Vaudeville Drum Kick.
There is written music for the trumpet to play. However, that’s actually No. 19c “Fanfare: Nick Cricker”
We do not play on No. 19b.

No. 21: “Jasper’s Confession”
From ms 23 to 55, there are a bunch of double sharps. They is wrong. They should all be single sharp.
WHY are they double sharped? Yet another mystery in Edwin Drood.

No. 23: “Perfect Strangers Reprise”
The 2-ms repeat at the beginning is actually a safety w/ vocals in on the last X.

There are several other tunes in the show that also have double sharps, and those are correct . Question comes up “Why, Lawd....WHY???”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: