• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtr1023

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Best C Trumpet Reply with quote

Hey there!

I know this topic has been discussed a lot in years past, but I want to see if things have changed at all!

I’m looking for a used C trumpet that’s good for orchestral settings for about $2000 and I’m decided on either a Bach or a Yamaha.

I’m curious as to what models you suggest looking for!

Thank you!!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Best C trumpet Reply with quote

Hello,
For that money an older Bach 229/25A. Some will differ with a 229/25H. I have owned a 229/25A, Yamaha 6445 and currently have some Schilkes. My C5L is really nice, but more than your budget.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C playing and experience is quite limited but I would not limit myself to Bach and Yamaha. If you have a budget (as you stated) why not check out the marketplace for other horns as well?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach 180L239 25C leadpipe (std.) (many have a 25H-bigger) is the old "standard" .. not terribly hard to find a used one within your budget..

IMO This is the sound.. you may have to deal a little bit with some pitch tendencies (open E's and 2nd valve Eb's often pretty flat). I just bought an old used one for less than 2K. Played it in church yesterday - THE sound.

Mouthpiece selection is key, different throat and backbore than your Bb.
And there are aftermarket leadpipes (Blackburn, etc) that can help with some of the classic issues. But I think ultimately change the tone too much to be worth the swap.

There are some great new ones, but beyond your price point.
I'm a Bach guy but just played a friend's new Yamaha (newest C - can't remember the model #) - it is excellent.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: C trumpet Reply with quote

My opinion is Bach. Many available in your price range. The industry standard.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
My C playing and experience is quite limited but I would not limit myself to Bach and Yamaha. If you have a budget (as you stated) why not check out the marketplace for other horns as well?

In the USA, for orchestral C trumpets, you really shouldn't consider much more than Bach or Yamaha. There are many fine playing boutique instruments, but these two are the industry standards. Others would also likely be out of his price range.

For the OP: at $2k, you're looking mostly at Bach. 239/25A or 229/25H are common combos. Try try try before you buy. I'd also check out Yamaha 8335 as well as the previously mentioned 6445. Played one the other day that was surprisingly good!

Zaferis mentioned mouthpiece is important, it is very important. Get at least a 25 throat (if not 24) and for sure get a 24 backbore.
dankeater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Bach Models hold up really well and have really good build quality. I have a Bach 239 ML from the 80's and it plays like new. You should be able to find a similar model for your budget.

Although new specialty Yamaha models like the New York or Chicago are more popular, they are also much more expensive. Older Yamaha C trumpets do not play as well as older Bach models in my opinion.

If you can try out any C trumpet, maybe your teacher or colleague, do that first. $2000 is a lot of money to spend on an instrument, so make sure you like it before you buy.

Unlike what others are saying, I don't think mouthpiece will matter as much. If you already have the orchestral sound you want on your Bb trumpet mouthpiece, a good player will be able to make the same sound come from their C trumpet. They are different horns, but not as different as people treat them. Generally a more open backbore or throat will help, but don't expect a new mouthpiece to suddenly transform your sound (like how a lead mouthpiece won't suddenly make you play higher).
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Bach 180L239 25C leadpipe (std.) (many have a 25H-bigger) is the old "standard" .. not terribly hard to find a used one within your budget..IMO This is the sound..

I agree. I also think the Chicago and Philadelphia models (both have 229 bells) are nice horns.

As someone who likes the 229 bell, I also thought the Yamaha 9335 NYII model was a fine horn, though not one you'll likely find used in your price range (wasn't a big fan of the original NY model and haven't played a NYIII yet).

Edited to add:

Quote:
Zaferis mentioned mouthpiece is important, it is very important. Get at least a 25 throat (if not 24) and for sure get a 24 backbore.

I completely agree and note that my Bach C came with a Bach Symphonic mouthpiece with a 24 throat and a 24 backbore. It does make a big difference. It's not about whether you can successfully play a C trumpet with whatever you are playing on your Bb -- you can. It's about how you can bring out the best in you C trumpet in terms of intonation, sound, etc., to make it easier for you to play to the maximum extent of your ability.

Last edited by Dayton on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all the top orchestral trumpet players play Bach or Yamaha C trumpets. Also, so many classical trumpet soloists likewise use these two brands.

This is a pretty good recommendation, I would think. Or would taking the advice of posters you don’t know, and who may or may not be accomplished players, be a better way to select an instrument?

If you don’t have the money for a Bach or Yamaha professional instrument, the are other, less expensive brands to select from. Some these play pretty well. But the resale value will likely be less if you later decide on something different.

Good luck!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many other brands which can be played:

Schilke
Kanstul (including their Besson models) (I have 2)
B&S
Some older Courtois models
Shires
Thein (my go to)

to name a few. Of my 4 C trumpets, none are Bach/Yamaha.

cheers

Andy
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into Bach CML 239, or Schilke C7
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
There are many other brands which can be played:

Of these and under $2k, you COULD consider a B&S. Guess prices are cheaper down-under. Shires is also in the conversation (again), but I don't think you're finding one in the USA for under $2k. See below for schilke

david johnson wrote:
Look into Bach CML 239, or Schilke C7

I would not really consider a CML, it's just not too common, but if you are really in a pinch, sure. You don't really see to many Schilke Cs in the USA. But it is a trumpet pitched in C.

Dayton wrote:
I also think the Chicago and Philadelphia models (both have 229 bells) are nice horns.

Not bad. I'd stick to the Philly over the Chicago. Lots of people replace the front end on these horns.

dankeater wrote:
Unlike what others are saying, I don't think mouthpiece will matter as much.

Whenever I read this, I always wonder how much orchestral experience the person writing it has, especially when they are using an ML bore C. There are many orchestral players who use the same mouthpiece on Bb trumpet, but generally their mouthpiece is optimized for C trumpet. There are a rare few who play stock on their C. Most/everybody will benefit from a larger-than-stock throat and an orchestral style backbore.

Last edited by abontrumpet on Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a French Besson Classic (Kanstul) in the marketplace right now. Those were designed in conjunction with Dennis Najoom. A very good C trumpet for the money.
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kanstul has been working well for me for many years - you might want to add it to your list!
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of people have mentioned B & S already. I could not agree more. About a year ago I bought one second-hand for a very good price, intending to use it as a back-up to my Bach 229/25H.
I was amazed how good it was and found the sound and intonation better than the Bach so I sold the Bach and kept the B & S.
They cost about half the price of a Bach here in Germany.
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fides symphony BBG C trumpet.
Not expensive but a really nice C-trumpet
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptbenge wrote:
There is a French Besson Classic (Kanstul) in the marketplace right now. Those were designed in conjunction with Dennis Najoom. A very good C trumpet for the money.

Yes, this is what I have, a Kanstul made French Besson Classic C trumpet. According to Ron Meza of this forum (homebilly) who asked Jack Kanstul about mine:

hi louise

i have jack on the phone and he says yours has an A bell (229)
with .020 thickness

.462 bore

he said that your leadpipe is a C7 (7") pipe that dennis sent to them directly
and not a kanstul part

ron

So basically the Kanstul made F Besson Classic is Bach 229 like.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: