• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve rebuild worth it for an early Conn 6B?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjdoyle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Valve rebuild worth it for an early Conn 6B? Reply with quote

Picked up a 1957 Conn 6B on a whim without seeing it in person and it turns out that the 3rd valve is pretty worn. Ouch. Thankfully I got it for pretty cheap. Any thoughts on whether a rebuild would even be worth it? Theoretically it's a great horn, but valve work isn't cheap. It's a 50/50 I want to keep the horn with a valve rebuild, and I definitely have no use for it without. I'm just wanting input on what others think the "financially responsible" thing to do would be. How much would it be worth to resell with the rebuild vs without?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking - you say that it appears worn - do you mean there is no compression when you push out the 3rd slide or that the valve sticks.
gjdoyle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimal compression, piston seems to wiggle in the casing.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last valve overhaul I had done was in 2022 and the cost was $750 for three valves. Even if that is the only work you have done on the horn it is a lot of money to "invest" in a horn you are only 50% sure you'll keep. On the other hand, it probably won't sell for much if a purchaser knows that they are going to have to pay for a valve overhaul....

If the other two valves are fine, and you really only need to have one valve replated, and there isn't any other work you need done, you could probably recoup that $200 or so if you sell it.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have no sentimental attachment to the horn, a valve rebuild is probably not justifiable. Assuming the horn is playable and otherwise in decent shape, it's probably worth $300 for the parts, maybe $400 if you find an enthusiastic buyer. A valve rebuild is going to run between $500 and $800 and take multiple months to complete. After getting the horn back, you've sunk quite a bit of time and money into it, and the upside isn't really there for a Conn 6B. I think you're better off selling for a small profit and moving onto the next horn.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few horns like yours. I got them because they are hard to find.

But I have one question. I've never found a horn with the third valve so worn. In my experience, they wear based on usage with the order being first through third. I have two or three horns that would totally work if I just had the first valve done.

Your description makes me wonder what happened with this horn. Were the first two valves rebuilt at some point?

Now on to another idea. I've done this in the past. I've traded horns that I didn't really want to a tech in exchange for work done on a horn I did want. They got horns they could use for parts, some of them impossible to find, for work they could do in house. Just a thought.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - check the 3rd valve slide by itself and be sure the water key is not leaking either from a bad cork or a weak spring adding to the problem.

I have one with poor compressing in all valves - it's playable with heavy valve oil. I've learned that I really don't like small bore trumpets - it was worth a try.

I plan to give it to a friend who has too much disposable income.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

But I have one question. I've never found a horn with the third valve so worn. In my experience, they wear based on usage with the order being first through third. I have two or three horns that would totally work if I just had the first valve done.

Your description makes me wonder what happened with this horn. Were the first two valves rebuilt at some point?

This was the first thought I had, too...

And makes me wonder whether it's not the valve that's lacking compression (could be leaking from the waterkey, for example) or whether it might even be modified to make the slide work easier (it's rare, but sometimes a hole is bored through the valve away from the ports so that the slide moves the same with the valve up as it does depressed).

Besides... Something about a horn with a third valve rebuilt but no record of any work on 1+2 would make me wonder about the horns history - and possibly make me think twice about buying it unless it was cheap.

It'd be a shame for it not to be saved, though - those 6B's are a real killer horn!
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1957 Conn 6b has Crysteel valves. I thought they were bulletproof. At least the valves on my 1947 22b seem to be. I would double check to make sure it's not the slide or the water key that's leaking. Try a thicker oil on just that valve, like Hetman's No. 3 or Yamaha Vintage oil. Rebuilding the valve is not worth it, IMO and I'm not sure what has to be done or how much it would cost to rebuild a stainless valve. I only paid $100 for my 22b because the lacquer looked really bad. It had great valves and slides and no dents. It just looked ugly. The lacquer came off easily so it's raw brass with a nice patina now. You should be able to find another vintage Conn that has good valves.
'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it really IS the valve — can you ask a tech if he/she has a spare good valve lying around and check if that improves things? The tuning slide on my 6B has red rotted out (I knew that before purchase) but by accident my tech had another one lying around. Sometimes techs that have been in business for awhile may just have the part you need. If another valve doesn’t improve things, maybe the issue is at some other place.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbosan wrote:
The 1957 Conn 6b has Crysteel valves. I thought they were bulletproof.

The pistons may be harder than usual, but that just means that the cylinder walls can wear out faster.

Jimbosan wrote:
. . . I'm not sure what has to be done or how much it would cost to rebuild a stainless valve.

The term "Crysteel" leads some to believe that Conn used stainless steel pistons, but this is not the case. Crysteel as a term ("smooth as crystal and hard as steel" was the accompanying slogan) was coined by a perhaps overly creative marketing team, the same team that came up with "Airfloat slides", "Cali-bore", "Connite", "Coprion", "Electro-D bell", "Lustre-Conn", "Vocabell", and so on.

Based on information from the Conn Loyalist website, Conn catalogs and marketing materials, and posts from TH members, it appears that the Crysteel process involved brazing pistons together using a Monel alloy, burnishing them via a mechanical process in order to harden them (since exposing Monel to high temperatures tends to soften it), and then nickel plating them.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
gjdoyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've also never seen a third valve worn and not the others. The compression on the other two is OK, definitely not rebuilt. I have no idea what would've happened. I did have my tech look at it though and he confirmed my suspicions on the valve as well -- "valve is shot, use Hetman, etc." Not convinced it wasn't bad work by a tech at some point. As far as I can tell, no visible signs of damage anywhere else.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the possibility that a previous owner tried to address a problem with the third valve through "do-it-yourself" means and bodged it up.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
There is always the possibility that a previous owner tried to address a problem with the third valve through "do-it-yourself" means and bodged it up.

Indeed...

A DIY lapping job with a bit too much enthusiasm, perhaps.

Or something silly like they dropped the original third piston and replaced with one from another horn... Maybe cynically just slapped any old piston in and didn't care so it could be sold, or maybe just didn't know any better.
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great replies here, but I wanted to add that I think it might be worth sending to a reputable tech and have then assess the potential issues/options for repair. Unless you’re a pro repair tech it will be very difficult to discern if what your horn has is a bigger structural problem or not.

It’s entirely possible a proper alignment (not rebuild) and thicker oil could do the trick to make it playable.

Lastly, in terms of if it’s worth to have the cost of the work done, I actually think if you want to play the horn enough it’s worth it. In addition, many older vintage Conns have seen a significant increase in value on the used market especially ones in playing condition. So it’s possible you could at worst recoup if you sell down the line.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s entirely possible a proper alignment (not rebuild) and thicker oil could do the trick to make it playable.

Everybody has different experience. Every horn I buy that I intend to keep goes through the same process. They all get ultra sound cleaning, valves aligned, any dents repaired and all corks and spacers converted to synthetic.

Then comes the issue with valve wear. I've heard the advice to use thicker oil. I've never had that work if the valves need a rebuild. Shy of needing a rebuild, no thicker oil has given me any benefit. Regular oil works just fine with worn valves that don't have significant air leakage.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jmullins356

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

It'd be a shame for it not to be saved, though - those 6B's are a real killer horn!

That is really good to hear. I recently picked up a 6B fairly cheaply, and it's now at Hornucopia in San Carlos for the repair of a dented tuning slide. I can't wait to see how it plays!
Leatherlip
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a old Conn 40B Vocabell years ago and thought the 3rd valve was worn with no real compression. I discovered that one of the soldered ports in the valve itself had a tiny crack or pin hole. Tech was able to just solder that pin hole which, in my case, fixed the leaky valve issue. I bought a Bach once that the previous owner had a relief hole drilled in the lower part on the valve so that there was no resistance in using the 3rd slide. And lastly, besides listening to the slide make a popping sound, I've also pulled the 1st valve slide, covered the top slide port with my thumb, pushed all 3 valves down and blew into the mouthpiece. If there are leaking valves, you might hear or feel air escaping around the bottom cap.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: