• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Price Negotiation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Evans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Price Negotiation? Reply with quote

Hello all -

Here's a question for y'all: when purchasing a high-end used trumpet from a reputable online reseller (e.g. a really nice shop in Kansas City or Miami, for example) is it customary to negotiate on price?

This is a little embarrassing for me to ask, because believe it or not, I was in the retail music-store business (pianos and keyboards) back in the '80s. Back then, only a very uninformed customer would pay asking price for ANYTHING, new or used. But that was decades ago, and maybe there are differences between the piano/keyboard market and the trumpet market.

If negotiation is SOP, are there general guidelines the buyer should try to adhere to? I'm not trying to hard-nose any reseller; I completely understand that they need to make a profit to stay in business. On the other hand, I don't want to be the schmuck that leaves hundreds of dollars on the table by paying way too much.

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you in advance!

KE
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a personal matter, I mean it will vary from person to person. IMHO, there is nothing wrong or distasteful in making an offer at less than the listed price. I do not generally buy from stores, rather do most of my buying or selling on Ebay or here in Marketplace. The only 2 horns I have bought from a store was my current B6b and a King Silver Flair. The B6b from Beverly Music right before they closed shop. I made an offer for it when it first listed. I then kept an eye on it for the 3-4 months it stayed on the site and we finally made a deal at less than what they first listed it for. The King Silver Flair was from another store, I think listed on Reverb. I made an offer and they accepted it right away.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try and negotiate almost any purchase, because at the end of the day, all the seller can do is say no. And if they agree, then obviously you still offered the seller a fair price and you've saved some money in the process.

If you're not comfortable with out and out price negotiations (some people aren't), then you can try the bundling approach. Ask the seller to throw in a mp or mute or something else and make it more of a package deal. Many sellers are more likely to negotiate that way.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
Keith Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
I always try and negotiate almost any purchase, because at the end of the day, all the seller can do is say no. And if they agree, then obviously you still offered the seller a fair price and you've saved some money in the process.

If you're not comfortable with out and out price negotiations (some people aren't), then you can try the bundling approach. Ask the seller to throw in a mp or mute or something else and make it more of a package deal. Many sellers are more likely to negotiate that way.

Thank you, Richard! I appreciate your response.

KE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: