• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ability to Focus and Work Ethic Towards Practice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Ability to Focus and Work Ethic Towards Practice Reply with quote

I was pondering some things today regarding my skill level at various things I choose to do, and why I've been able to be somewhat successful in my endeavors. I wonder if it's simply a matter of being able to focus, my abilities for self-analysis and correction, and having a strong work ethic towards practice and improving.

For those who may not be familiar with me - I don't post much anymore - I'll be 54 years old this year, and I've been a working trumpet player since I was 17 years old. I spent 22 years of service in the military band program in one capacity or another, and have freelanced as a trumpet player doing all kinds of things - brass quintet, big band, rock band, Latin Band...

I also dive headfirst into a lot of other things and have managed to achieve a decent level of success.

I'm also a drummer - been doing that for over 20 years at this point, and for what I do, I'm pretty solid.

However, I also shoot - most recently I've taken up shooting trap - and I'm also succeeding there as well, in spite of the fact that it had been decades since previously shooting a shotgun.

One of the observations I've made at the trap field is that trap shooters are not unlike trumpet players. They'll throw all kinds of money at the endeavor in an effort to shoot better - high priced shotguns, custom fitted stocks, adjustable stocks, all kinds of choke tubes, all the way down to trying to find the right ammo - there's always a dispute between #7.5 shot and #8 shot, and there's disparity between brands, velocity, etc.

When I decided I wanted to get more involved in Janauary, I bought a decent shotgun - not a cheap one, and not a high priced one, but I bought something that was going to be high enough quality that it would hold up over time.

At this point I'm tied for 3rd in the trap league my wife and I joined, (I'm within striking distance of 1st or 2nd) and I'm outshooting guys who have been doing this for years. Why? What's different?

I'm not younger with better reflexes. I'm not more experienced. (to be fair, I'm not unfamiliar with shooting - I shoot rifles and pistols fairly regularly - just not shotguns) My eyesight certainly isn't better! My distance vision is worse than it has ever been!

I think it's possible that because I've been a lifelong musician, I simply have the ability to focus on what I'm doing, I'm good at self-analysis, and I practice - I'm at the trap field 2-3x a week to dial in what I'm doing, focusing on reinforcing what I'm doing well, and working on the things that need to improve.

Anyway, those are some random thoughts for the day.

As trumpet players, we spend so much time talking about equipment and how to approach fundamentals, that we tend to forget that the ability to focus, and the ability for self-analysis and correction are also skills we need to work on, and it might be just as important as the mechanics.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most likely a long term working musician AND developing your trap shooting skills at a pace due to being able to self analyse and focus.

There's always a reason one can't do 'something'. I know my weaknesses and how I didn't address them early on. What some may say are my strengths, I did focus on way back and are second nature.

The other facet you haven't mentioned is honesty: being honest with one's self and having the guts to take the next step in addressing the issue at hand.

Great thought bubble for the morning!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I've struggled with over the years on this board has been the fact that I have always taken issue with the threads where some younger, or less experienced player comes on, and the knee-jerk response of so many has always been:

"get a teacher!"

I struggle with that idea because I've had very little in the way of formal training, and very little in the way of private instruction, and yet, I consistently hold my own with players with pedigrees much higher than mine. An example would be the last orchestra concert I played. Granted, I'm not the section principle, but of the four of us, I was the only one without a degree in music, and two of them have masters degrees, and yet, I'm not out of place at all in that section.

With that said, it has been pointed out by several here on the board that when I say that the average players issues can be worked out by themselves in the practice room with some good method books, that not everyone has the ability to do that, hence the "get a teacher!" comment that arises so often.

People have also said that the average trumpet student doesn't have the ability that you and I have - to focus in, assess their performance, and dial in on the things that need to be worked on, but I submit that in the earlier stages, just simply practicing to try to make things sound correct and musical is enough, provided the student can honestly self-asses.

Touching back on the subject of shooting trap, I may come to a point where if I ever want to get over the hump to where I can break 50-100 straight (and competition shooters can - I know a guy who didn't win a competition because he broke 199 out of 200, and lost to a guy who hit all 200) I may have to get some lessons, or possibly do some work so that my gun fits a bit better.

With that said, I'm not doing poorly - I'm consistently hitting 20+ out of 25, and managed a 23 and 24 yesterday. (To be fair, my low round was a 20) For the moment I'm just going to keep working on what I'm doing. My Achilles heel seems to be hard right crosses from position 5 - I'm about 50/50 on those when I'm presented with them, and I don't think I'm leading them quite enough.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the need or value of -
trickg wrote:
"get a teacher!"

The real issue is 'get some knowledge', 'get some guidance', 'acquire the skill' - it can come from a person (e.g. a teacher), books, videos, websites, TH, or maybe even 'self-discovered'.

Going in the 'right direction' is the important part - not so much what specifically points or leads you.

The big problem is identifying that 'direction'. Many appealing paths lead to the swamp.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reasons most people need a teacher - a good teacher - are many.

I think with the trumpet, SO much has been said, written, taught etc about the mechanics of how to play. Much of it is flat out contradictory. So much of one's time trying to improve is spent trying to work out which pieces of information are relevant (1) right at one's current level of ability (2) that actually works for the student (3) that will work long term, and not just provide a temporary benefit that disappears.

A teacher is someone who is able to observe in real time, notice what's not working and can try and help you work out why and what to do about it. I don't think this is easy to do for most people because whatever their problem, the possible solutions are many, and most are probably not actually the right solution.

I also think that many/most students, especially before about the age of about 16, don't *really* have the ability to self-analyse very well. I do a lot of music teaching across a bunch of different areas/instruments, and I remember when I first started teaching I had this idea that, by and large, kids were pretty much equal in their abilities. But I pretty quickly realised it wasn't true.
I encountered 8 year olds who could cover twice or three times as much content in 30 minutes and still remember it perfectly a week later. And I had some 15 year olds that you'd go over the same content week after week, explaining it in different ways, creating mnemonics etc to try to get the information to stick. You'd start to make some headway, then they have a couple of weeks away during school holidays, and it be back to square one.

Unfortunately, we aren't all born equal in skills or ability. I think those with some aptitude often think "Well, I worked hard. I did x,y,z. If others just did the same, they'd be doing as well as I would."

In terms of shooting, I have zero knowledge or experience, but I'd wager that as an experienced drumer, your timing and co-ordination across your entire body is pretty significantly better than many of those you're comparing yourself with. You also have an entire lifetime of Practising How to Practice. There are a lot of skills and ways of thinking that at this stage will be pretty deeply wired in to your brain. Other folks are unlikely to have that.

For example, this type of brain exercise has been going around social media a fair bit recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVp9-fw17A

And it's something that most people will probably struggle to do immediately. However, I woulde wager that most musicians would be able to get the knack for it much, much quicker because they're going to go: "This is tricky. I better slow it down and practise it." And 5 minutes later, they've got it.
Where as most non-musicians people will just keep trying to do it, and fail to do it, and never actually get all that much better unless they instinctively slow down and really work on it. Many people when they have that instinct to slow down will do it, slow it down once, get it, then speed it back up, it wont work and they go "stuff it, this is too hard."

So you're not wrong, but also, it's probably not quite as easy for non-musicians to focus and self-analyse the way you're describing.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"get a teacher!" I struggle with that idea because I've had very little in the way of formal training, and very little in the way of private instruction, and yet, I consistently hold my own with players with pedigrees much higher than mine.

Whether or not someone works with a teacher, much of their success is going to come from their own efforts, their own insights, their own drive, etc. A good teacher is an accelerant, sometimes a very powerful one.

A recommendation to get a teacher doesn't imply that the player is doomed without one. I suspect most respondents who recommend a teacher are simply pointing out that working with a teacher increases the likelihood of better results faster. This is especially true of in-person instruction, where the teacher can see/hear what is going on.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people that are very good at self-teaching and self-learning. There are others that are not. One size does not fit all. There are skills that some people naturally self teach better than others. Even within the same person and even if that person is good at self teaching one thing, he/she might not be good at self teaching another thing.
Others have had bad experiences with teachers, and that puts them off of finding instruction.
Even if you are a good independent learner and self-teach well, you can often benefit from having a teacher or mentor or learning companion that shares knowledge with and observes you in ways you can't do yourself.
You may be a very accomplished trumpet player or skeet shooter from teaching yourself, but one honest question to ask yourself is "would I be even better or have gotten there faster if I had a teacher." The answer may not be a simple yes or no. How one benefits from a teacher depends a lot on how one meshes with that teacher and how well that teacher can change according to the individual student. But there are almost always benefits.
I too am very much inclined toward self-teaching, partially from some bad experiences with teachers. It served me well in my profession (in the days when there was little in the way of formal education for what I did). It served me well in trumpet playing, but accidentally getting a mentor also helped. I am a driven learner, willing to look carefully at what I do. That does not mean I can see everything, and I certainly learned that after years of self-teaching trumpet and then working with someone.
Other things, I do not think I could teach myself. For example, I am not a good kinesthetic learner, so when I agreed with my wife to learn social dancing, I felt a teacher was the best route. When I learned Japanese, I started our with classes but they moved too slowly for me, so I got the materials I needed and went to work on my own. Of course, living in Japan made that possible.
Other things, auto and tractor mechanics, copper plumbing (no longer useful), electrical work, etc. have been easy to self teach to the extent I need them.
So I can see a real justification for people suggesting getting a teacher. It is a great short-cut for most people, and it is the easiest answer to many questions for new or comeback players. In the end it is complicated, but it is a good place to start.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to comment on this but most of my thoughts/experiences have already been voiced by others.

I've been working on things on my own for a few years, but during that time I occasionally sought out a teacher for the reasons mentioned by other posters. I found it quite hard to adjust, as often they chose to focus on aspects of my playing that I experienced to be unhelpful or even harmful to my overall progress at the time. The main issue was, as it has been in the past, communication. The ideas, goals, focus and dedication of the teacher may not match the student's; which makes for unproductive lessons if that occurs. And being an introverted individual, I struggled to create productive student-teacher relationship.

Describing a teacher as a 'cheat code' is very accurate imho. A teacher allows a student to skip researching/experimenting and get straight to what's important. It also helps to avoid setting up poor habits that become major roadblocks later on (overblowing & mouthpiece pressure for example). However, using a 'cheat code' that simply tells a person what to do also risks berefting the student of the experience gained by failing, and learning how to overcome obstacles on their own. That's not neccesarily a bad thing, especially early on for younger students. And the thing with cheat codes is that games are usually designed to be beatable without them, but it can take a lot longer, with a lot more frustration, and to some, the game is impossible to finish without them. Sounds a lot like trumpet playing to me.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you all brought some great points to the conversation with a lot of great responses here, and I wanted to touch on a couple of other ideas that have been pointed out.

Destructo wrote:
I think with the trumpet, SO much has been said, written, taught etc about the mechanics of how to play. Much of it is flat out contradictory. So much of one's time trying to improve is spent trying to work out which pieces of information are relevant (1) right at one's current level of ability (2) that actually works for the student (3) that will work long term, and not just provide a temporary benefit that disappears.

Ok - you've said a mouthful here! Bringing this back around to trap shooting, there's this gal who is coming out, I think mostly because her son spends so much time at the range (he's 42 - not young) and she has tried to take up shooting trap with less than satisfactory results. Her top score to date is an 11 out of 25, but just as often she's hitting 2-5 out of 25. Dare I say, her "hits" are so infrequent, they are quite likely a situation where her pattern and the clay just happen to accidentally intersect.

I bring this up because there are so many guys there who are trying to help her:

"Do/don't do this!"
"Think/don't think about that."
"Point your barrel..."
etc.

Aside from the fact that she has very little prior experience with firearms and doesn't seem to have much innate ability, she's somewhat flummoxed by the scads of "tips" from well-meaning people that she's just not sure what she's supposed to be doing.

Destructo wrote:
In terms of shooting, I have zero knowledge or experience, but I'd wager that as an experienced drummer, your timing and co-ordination across your entire body is pretty significantly better than many of those you're comparing yourself with. You also have an entire lifetime of Practicing How to Practice. There are a lot of skills and ways of thinking that at this stage will be pretty deeply wired in to your brain. Other folks are unlikely to have that.

It's highly possible that some of my other skills and past experiences also come into play. Even though I never focused on athletics in school, I was always naturally athletic. I played baseball some, and as an outfielder I had to be able to track and predict where the ball was going, and hitting a pitch going up to 80 mph by swinging a bat presents it's own hand/eye coordination challenges.

Drumming is about timing, so no doubt that plays a positive role in shooting trap as well, as does the fact that I'm very familiar with guns in general - even if I wasn't a shotgunner for the longest time, I'm well versed in using both a pistol and a rifle.

Dayton wrote:
Whether or not someone works with a teacher, much of their success is going to come from their own efforts, their own insights, their own drive, etc. A good teacher is an accelerant, sometimes a very powerful one.

A bad teacher can be equally detrimental, if not more so - I've heard all kinds of horror stories about trumpet players who were decent, but got all screwed up by instructors who tried to fundamentally change how they played, sometimes resulting in a long road of repairing the damage that was done, even if the teacher meant well and believed in what they were trying to convey.

I'll touch again on this gal at the range - somewhere she was told something about how to track and shoot a clay that just isn't working, but she's sticking so hard to whatever it is she learned incorrectly, that it has halted and possibly reversed her progress.

cgaiii wrote:
You may be a very accomplished trumpet player or trap (FIFY - I shoot trap, not skeet. ) shooter from teaching yourself, but one honest question to ask yourself is "would I be even better or have gotten there faster if I had a teacher." The answer may not be a simple yes or no. How one benefits from a teacher depends a lot on how one meshes with that teacher and how well that teacher can change according to the individual student.

You raise a good point, and it's not something I can really say one way or another. One of the guys I shoot with has had a couple of lessons because he was consistently shooting under 10, couldn't really seem to "get it," and the lessons seem to have helped him - he's consistently shooting double digits and into mid-teens now.

I've always been good at extrapolating "lessons" from my environment. Either I'll observe what someone else is doing, (or in the case of music, I'll listen) or I'll ask someone who does it better than me a question about what they are doing, and then I can usually find a way to incorporate it, test it, and see if I benefit from it. I'll keep what works, discard the rest.

I posted once on here about the fact that I'd always claimed to be self-taught, but on further reflection realized that by playing alongside of players better than me, and specifically being in a brass quintet with a guy who mentored me, I got A LOT of lessons, even if they weren't the formal studio-type lesson we tend to think of, and it happened in a very organic way.

Regarding the idea that I'd get there faster with a teacher, I really don't know - I think more than anything, the fact that my wife and I go shoot so much is part of why we're succeeding. It's hard to get good at something if you don't put in the work to refine techniques and build on your ability.

Apparently some of the folks in the trap league are joking that my wife and I are "the Dynamic Duo." As I posted above, we're both pretty new at the whole thing, but I'm currently tied for 3rd in the league, and she's beating half of everyone else.

Anyway, those are a few other random thoughts I wanted to add into the mix - again, I think that you all brought some great points to the conversation.
- ACB Doubler

Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always been good at extrapolating "lessons" from my environment. Either I'll observe what someone else is doing, (or in the case of music, I'll listen) or I'll ask someone who does it better than me a question about what they are doing, and then I can usually find a way to incorporate it, test it, and see if I benefit from it. I'll keep what works, discard the rest.

Personality match is important with a teacher. I'm just reading between the lines so might be completely wrong, but I suspect you either don't enjoy situations with heirarchial relationships, or you don't likely handing over some of your autonomy to a teacher. (N .B. I'm not saying either is a problem/bad/something you should change.)

I could imagine that for you, a good lesson might look more like you know someone whose playing you admire and when you are stuck with something, you go "Hey, can we hang and work on some X together?". While doing that, it comes up "Yeah, I'm really not getting how to do Y. What are you doing/thinking there?"
They give you some tips, you try it, apply what works and move on.
Informal and you're still fully responsible for whatever you manage to take from it.

Whereas a lot of students go to lessons like: "Here I am. Make me into a virtuoso."
Lessons are more like having a personal trainer that evaluates them, keeps them moving in the right direction, motivates them to keep going through the tough spots, helps share the burden of learning the instrument, helps them know what to do next etc.

I think there's a lot of value in the latter, because a lot of people need that sort of support to reach their goals. But it doesn't mean everyone needs that. But I also think that there is a LOT to be said for simply doing things around others who are much better than you and observing that, really becoming aware what your deficiencies are, going home with what "good" sounds and looks like in your head, and practising towards that.

I think everyone needs help along the way, which I think is what you're saying as well. But that help might not be a formal teacher-student / master-apprentice sort of relationship.

To each their own... Although, often it's easier to go take lessons with someone than to sit next to them for months in rehearsals and concerts. I think the latter would be super effective in forcing you to level up your playing, but it's a harder situation to manufacture. Perhaps there should be more training ensembles where students get to sit next to professionals in-situ more. That would definitely be pretty awesome for students.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, first short answer. I don’t think the focus thing and practice slow things is a musicians thing. It’s a personality thing.

There are people who are good at many things exactly because they can focus, regardless of the field. One can (self) train to focus and to have a smart approach, but there are people who will always fail because they get side tracked and try to short cut things.

A friend of ours was among the last 200 candidates (starting out from over 20k initial applicants) to qualify for astronaut training a few years back. This is focus, discipline, and the ability to question your skills at a level that few people ever achieve.

Of course, some fields attract a certain personality and you will find similar characters in certain fields. I’m a natural scientist and while there is the flashy type as well, most people are hard working, dedicated, and approachable — they would not have gotten to their positions if they did not deliver results.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I have been monitoring Google AI development over the last year re the Horn. A year ago every question (to for example "How do I form Embouchure" ) had "Get a Teacher" in the Answer. Now the AI expertise has evolved (surprise surprise!)
In answer to the question "Should I get a Teacher to learn the Trumpet?" you get a balanced answer with a conclusion:

AI says
Quote:
No matter which route you choose, consistent practice is key to learning the trumpet. Be patient, have fun, and don't get discouraged if it takes time to see results.

Not bad advice I thought!

cheers Steve
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
One of the things I've struggled with over the years on this board has been the fact that I have always taken issue with the threads where some younger, or less experienced player comes on, and the knee-jerk response of so many has always been:

"get a teacher!"

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. As one who "had teachers" on the trumpet - which did not prevent crash and burn multiple times over - and went into a science career - where I also see the exact same issues with non-existent teaching. Basically, the so-called elite institutions I've spent time in are mostly about disciplining the kids.

For what?! It's like there's a built-in institutional assumption that the students are naughty and need to be controlled by doing arbitrary time-consuming tasks that are graded by bored disciplinarians. Learn page X of Arban for next week.

Instead of "get a teacher!" I would recommend "get an idea of what you think a teacher should be, then identify people like that and ask them about things you are struggling with and if they are mean or not into it, stop asking them and keep your eyes open for the next person! Don't assume anyone labeled 'teacher' has anything worth teaching you!". How's that for a knee-jerk response
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, there has been some awesome discussion out of this, and the conclusion I take from it is that a dedicated person will usually find a way - even if it means doing a lot of self-reflection, going through a slew of teachers to find someone who can reach them for what they need out of it, or even a combination of the two.

My wife has a saying that I have always enjoyed, and it pertains to both students, and some of the parents of students she had during her career as an educator:

If you think it's important, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

It's kind of funny in a way - this thread comes at a point in my life where I'm considering hanging up the horn for good. I'm not sure why this is - I enjoy playing, but anymore I don't enjoy the work I have to put into it in order to remain at a playing level I'm happy with. That, and there are a bevy of other things where I'd rather spend my time.

Oh - for what it's worth, I've also embarked upon creating a business for myself as a voiceover artist - yet one more thing where I seem to have a bit of a natural affinity, as well as the ability to focus and learn what I need to in order to be successful.

With that in mind, I DO have a coach for my VO endeavors. I don't talk to him a lot though. We had the initial discussion and assessment to see if I had the voice-tone, talent, ability, etc, we did some light coaching to learn certain techniques - target words, inflections, tempo, style, etc...

And then I built a recording booth, obtained the requisite hardware and software, and started booking jobs. My coach is available to me if I need him, but the more I do it, the more I learn about how to do it. My coach told me when we were recording the demos that one of my biggest assets is that I'm easy to direct. I attribute that 100% to my career as a musician where being directed was part of it all along the way.

Good stuff everyone! Keep it coming!
- ACB Doubler

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the point of not having fun anymore comes up at a certain age I’m only a little younger than you, Patrick, and have had the same thoughts sneaking up on me: I have 15 years to go and there are certain things in my work that just tell me, for a few years now, I should look for something else.

There are other things, however, that I really like (most people around me, for one) and that make me want to continue. The job is ultra-diverse, challenging, and if I get to the bottom of it, very interesting. The problem being, I get stuck in nonsense side-track jobs most of the time.

So, rather than leaving, I have started to push those side jobs at other people who pushed them at me for the last 20 years . It’s amazing how much time and energy I can suddenly invest in the actual heart of my job — but it’s not a physical job like trumpeting. As long as my brain works I should be able to do it (or find something else …).

On the trumpet side of things, I feel like I have never played better than just now. Reason being I in fact have a teacher, but also I have a MUCH better practice routine and a much better understanding of trumpet mechanics. Plus, see above, pushing away crap jobs to those who caused the initial problem has freed up significant time slots to actually practice. I’m still an amateur but feel like I am actually an asset to the orchestra rather than a challenge.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I’m still an amateur but feel like I am actually an asset to the orchestra rather than a challenge.

That right there speaks to part of the reason I have been thinking about hanging it up. My skills and abilities on the horn have really backslid, simply because I don't put the time towards it. When I'm in the practice room regularly my chops are close to as good as they ever were. The problem is that I'm only in the practice room when I have to be in there - like when I have a gig coming up.

I wish I loved it like I used to. I think back to when I was in high school, and how there wasn't anything else I'd rather do, but I'm not that kid anymore. I've experienced a fair bit of loss, and I've changed tremendously as a person. I still have the skill, just not the fire and desire, and I'm not sure what I could do to get it back.

I don't even enjoy playing drums as much as I used to. There came a point where I stopped pushing the learning, and just focused on maintaining and prep for gigs.

Singing is the same way. When I was still with the wedding band and called upon to sing regularly, I worked on it. My vocal chops aren't what they once were either.

All of this is kind of tied in - the ability that I've had to learn to do multiple things and to do them well - but the fact that I want to hang up most of my musical endeavors is another subject for another thread.
- ACB Doubler

abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
trickg wrote:
I have always taken issue with the threads where some younger, or less experienced player comes on, and the knee-jerk response of so many has always been:

"get a teacher!"

Instead of "get a teacher!" I would recommend "get an idea of what you think a teacher should be, then identify people like that and ask them about things you are struggling with and if they are mean or not into it, stop asking them and keep your eyes open for the next person! Don't assume anyone labeled 'teacher' has anything worth teaching you!". How's that for a knee-jerk response

The only way to "get an idea of what you think a teacher should be. . . " is to first "get a teacher." I agree with epoustoufle that you should be incredibly critical of the teacher (if you are putting in the work they demand) and ask yourself all the relevant questions. However, the notion that a teacher is not necessary is an INCREDIBLY silly one. I do agree that not every "teacher" is qualified to help 100% of what you need or even qualified to teach anything at all.

trickg wrote:
just not the fire and desire, and I'm not sure what I could do to get it back.

I do not have the "fire and desire" to brush and floss everyday, but I haven't missed a day since 5th grade.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
trickg wrote:
...just not the fire and desire, and I'm not sure what I could do to get it back.

I do not have the "fire and desire" to brush and floss everyday, but I haven't missed a day since 5th grade.

This is possibly one of the worst analogies I've ever seen posted. Comparing a lifetime of playing trumpet and making music to basic oral hygiene - something that we do every day on autopilot? That's akin to saying that you wipe your butt every time you take a poo, and you haven't missed a day since the day you were potty trained.
- ACB Doubler

abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
This is possibly one of the worst analogies I've ever seen posted. Comparing a lifetime of playing trumpet and making music to basic oral hygiene - something that we do every day on autopilot? That's akin to saying that you wipe your butt every time you take a poo, and you haven't missed a day since the day you were potty trained.

We can agree to disagree! I personally think that "having fire and desire" is a fickle way to approach mastery. Yes, initial fire and desire will get you into whatever it is that you want to do, but mastery requires showing up, daily. It is very similar to flossing and brushing: it is part of your daily life, part of the routine, and is an indispensable part of your day. For all the times that I have hated or loved trumpet, I showed up and continue to show up for it everyday; athletes, musicians, dancers, painters, writers, actors, it's what you've got to do. I can guarantee there have been points in the elite's lives where they wanted to hang it up*, but kept showing up, and eventually the feeling passed. So, again, agree to disagree.

*I'm reminded of a recent Tiny Desk with Joshua Redman where he says: "with the saxophone today, I don't know, it's an on-again off-again relationship, haha, rocky, 'friends with benefits.'"

P.S. I personally bring great care and mindfulness to my oral hygiene, no autopilot here. Same with wiping my butt! I'm meticulous. Perhaps we just have different outlooks on life.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
We can agree to disagree! I personally think that "having fire and desire" is a fickle way to approach mastery. Yes, initial fire and desire will get you into whatever it is that you want to do, but mastery requires showing up, daily. It is very similar to flossing and brushing: it is part of your daily life, part of the routine, and is an indispensable part of your day. For all the times that I have hated or loved trumpet, I showed up and continue to show up for it everyday; athletes, musicians, dancers, painters, writers, actors, it's what you've got to do. I can guarantee there have been points in the elite's lives where they wanted to hang it up*, but kept showing up, and eventually the feeling passed. So, again, agree to disagree.

*I'm reminded of a recent Tiny Desk with Joshua Redman where he says: "with the saxophone today, I don't know, it's an on-again off-again relationship, haha, rocky, 'friends with benefits.'"

P.S. I personally bring great care and mindfulness to my oral hygiene, no autopilot here. Same with wiping my butt! I'm meticulous. Perhaps we just have different outlooks on life.

Or perhaps I'm 54 years old, I've been playing for 43 years, most of which has been at an upper level, and I've simply moved into a new season of life. I've done thousands and thousands of gigs over the course of my life, and I don't feel like I have anything left to prove. And it isn't like I don't have other artistic outlets. I'm also a drummer, and that's something I gig fairly frequently. I'm also a voiceover artist - that's it's own outlet, and a fairly lucrative one. I'm currently making more money doing voice work than I do playing trumpet.

If my livelihood depended on it, I might have a different approach, but it doesn't, and I have other things that I truly enjoy that take my time.

You make it sound like playing trumpet is something I HAVE to continue to do, regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, so yeah - I'd say we have different approaches and outlooks on life.

And it's still an awful analogy.

At this point this thread has taken a turn though - the main idea of this thread is to talk about why some people have the ability to succeed and excel due to their innate abilities for self-analysis and focus, and others don't.
- ACB Doubler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: