• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Emo World trumpet, ever heard of it??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spankeythecat

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Emo World trumpet, ever heard of it?? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I work in a music shop in Auckland, New Zealand.

Recently we had a trumpet under the branding of emo world come in for some servicing. after having a laugh at the name, i had a blow on it, and it blew me away! The trumpet is in amazing condition, its a matte silver finish, with the inner bell as a lacquer. All the stays and joints look to be from a really well made trumpet. Unfortunalty, I havnt been able to find anything on the web about them, and no one ive spoken to has ever come across one before.

So, im hoping someone out there can help me out. Its about 40 - 50 years old, and has the name 'Emo World' on the bell, the serial number is in the 3000's.

Do you know where there made? the history of them or anything???

Im seriously concidering asking the player (who is just learning) if they want to sell it. Im thinking about offering them a trade with my current horn (bach strad, 180/72 silver plated).

It is the most amazing horn ive ever played. on a standard mouthpiece, it hits the C above the stave effortlessly, and im no 'squealer'.

what do you think??

cheers, Tim
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'emo'? with my students that's a term for the continuously over-distraught person rather than a trumpet brand.

dj
spankeythecat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

hah, my thoughts exactly, but its a really nice horn!
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Emo a brand of mute?

B
tim.jones
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for info on a Buffet Crampon trumpet I used to own and a THer (seouljourner) told me about two EMO trumpets that he has whose manufacture may or may not have been involved in the evolution of my Buffet. EMO is a derivation of Ernst Modl of Germany. I too was frustrated by the internet response to my query using EMO; a bunch of crap about a recent genre of (allegedly) music. You might have more luck checking out Ernst Modl - though I didn't have much luck trying here in the States. If your search turns up info on Buffet Crampon during the 60's please don't hesitate to let me know; I still want to know about the origins of my stolen trumpet. Regards,

Tim Jones
Seouljourner

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, EMO made trumpets. Don't know much about the company (other than I think the same manufacterer also made Buffet). In addition to the "World" model, they made the "World De Luxe," the "World De Luxe Color," the "Champion" and "Professional."
Spankey, I'm curious whether your "World" model is balanced (valves closer to the bell than a typical B flat tpt) or not.

Tim
spankeythecat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

hey there. thanks for the info. Its hard to tell, comparing it too a standard trumpet, its slightly smaller all round, but when playing it, the valves do feel further away, so i guess the answer is yes, but im not too sure, i havnt seen that many 'vintage' trumpets so i dont have a comparison. any idea how much you would want to pay for one of these in very very good condition? (no brass rot, all the valves, slides and finish are in top notch condition)

cheers, Tim
Seouljourner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spankey, ah, yes, the million dollar (give or take a few) question. Probably the value is in the ear or eye of the beholder. I have 2 (a Champion and a World De Luxe Color) and am reluctant to part with either, partly because I paid so little for them. I have no idea what the market is in your part of the world. They are good horns (mine are not in perfect shape) and I suspect the price you could command for yours would go up if folks were given a chance to try it out, seeing as precious little information is available about them. Maybe you could include a portion for shipping since (if they originate in or near Holland - which is my best guess) they have had to travel a wee bit.
All the best,
Tim
johnb0257

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY!!! I've found someone else who has a World De Luxe Color EMO Trumpet! Just out of curiosity, does your's have these same features as mine? It has three colors, rose-gold, laquer and nickel. There is a really neat spring trigger on the third valve tuning slide. Inside the valve casing on the valves there are corks the same diameter as the valve and about 3/4" long. The valve buttons and tuning slide bumpers have inlaid mother of pearl. The back part of the bell (the part you're looking at while playing) has a ring of nickel. The valves and tuning slides are nickel plated. Finally, it has beautiful ornamental engraving with the name of the trumpet. Someone told me they thought it was identical to the Olds Super Model Trumpet and that the Super Model may have been a copy of this EMO. It does play great in every way and it would be hard for me to part with it.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bit of history over on TM:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/huller-bb-c-peashooter-40514.html
poprishchin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biber wrote:
Wasn't Emo a brand of mute?

I have a decent Emo "harmon" mute.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trompetenforum.de/TF/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8935&start=0
Seouljourner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnb0257,
First of all welcome to the forum! Lot's of information and good folks here.
Second, welcome to the "World De Luxe Color" club, which has officially now doubled in size. I suspect there are a few others out there, but not many. To answer all your questions, I simply say "yes." I would appreciate some photos if you are able to post or send them (thru a PM) especially since the trigger on mine is missing. A photo of mine (and some other horns) is found here: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/balanced-portfolio-53255.html

As to the comparisons with the Olds Super, I don't think they are related, other than the tone ring. I have 2 Supers, and they play differently. Besides, I think the Supers were developed way before this particular EMO model. All good instruments though!

Enjoy!

Tim
TerryD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: EMO Trumpet. Reply with quote

My father bought me a beautiful EMO World trumpet from a second hand shop in Wanganui. My brother took it to the Papakura Camp during military service in the late 70s without my permission and had it stolen. Silver with a gold bell. Such a shame. I hope it is still around being played somewhere. Lois Armstrong famously played an EMO trumpet so it must be a quality instrument.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Louis Armstrong thing comes up every time EMOs are discussed. If my brain is right, there are images of him holding one and also evidence that he was gifted (at least) one but there is a fairly large disagreement between trumpet-internet people if he actually used it.

I just follow the discussion and have no hard (or soft) evidence either way but agree that they do look pretty
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
The Louis Armstrong thing comes up every time EMOs are discussed. If my brain is right, there are images of him holding one and also evidence that he was gifted (at least) one but there is a fairly large disagreement between trumpet-internet people if he actually used it.

I just follow the discussion and have no hard (or soft) evidence either way but agree that they do look pretty

If the ephemera included with this eBay auction EMO horn is authentic there must exist other copies of the print ad with Armstrong and EMO:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195823619818?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bjRr7duAQfW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=y5M0qr43Q0a&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good info here:

https://www.brasshistory.net/EMO%20History.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: