• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Great deals from Getzen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to save myself some emails, the X-13 from yesterday is already on its way to a new home.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for my regular sneak preview update.

Just yesterday, we were lucky enough to have discovered a, yet to be diagnosed, issue with X-13 bells. Somewhere between the bells being made and the trumpets being mounted, the rims were damaged. By damaged, I mean there is a flat spot on the outer edge of the rim right where it wraps around the bead. We have some theories as to the cause, but the fact remains they are there and not up to standards.

The actual lucky part is that we caught it before the entire batch was mounted so we just have to scrap some bells. The sarcastic lucky part is that a few of them made it all the way to the lacquer room before being caught.

So, I will soon have two satin lacquer X-13 B Stock trumpets available. As anyone who has emailed me in the past about these knows, they don't last long. So if anyone reading this is interested, shoot me an email and you'll get first dibs. Also, if anyone out there has any tips on stressing the importance of material handling, I'm all ears.

Follow Getzen on:

harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Material handling:
1) YOU own it, it's YOUR responsibility to ensure it EXCEEDS your standards.
2) YOUR REPUTATION as a CRAFSTMAN is at stake. That's far more important than meeting a deadline, real or artificial.
3) If you disagree with the above two statements you should be putting mustard on hotdogs for a living.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible solution is to flatten the rim all-around and call it the "new custom".
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
Material handling:
1) YOU own it, it's YOUR responsibility to ensure it EXCEEDS your standards.
2) YOUR REPUTATION as a CRAFSTMAN is at stake. That's far more important than meeting a deadline, real or artificial.
3) If you disagree with the above two statements you should be putting mustard on hotdogs for a living.

I hope I'm misinterpreting this comment, because it sure reads like the sort of thing that drives companies that participate on this forum away.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
I hope I'm misinterpreting this comment, because it sure reads like the sort of thing that drives companies that participate on this forum away.

I think the intent of that post would have been clearer had the poster first quoted Brett Getzen, like this:

Getzen wrote:
Also, if anyone out there has any tips on stressing the importance of material handling, I'm all ears.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Mon May 27, 2024 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
ellie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Also, if anyone out there has any tips on stressing the importance of material handling, I'm all ears.

I don't want to speak for harryjames but I assumed that he was giving these 'tips', directed at the workers who caused this incident.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a response to Brett's question about what to say to the wayward worker(s) and not an attack on Brett or the Getzen company as a whole. For now we are running with that interpretation.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
It appears to be a response to Brett's question about what to say to the wayward worker(s) and not an attack on Brett or the Getzen company as a whole. For now we are running with that interpretation.

I completely agree with the above interpretation. I didn't take any offense at the comment. I took it as a somewhat tongue in cheek response to my sarcastic post.

I do appreciate the concern, but honestly it takes a lot to offend me and even more to drive me off of Trumpet Herald. If I stuck around during the Capt.Kirk days I can take this. And no, that's not a challenge.

BTW, one of the two X-13's is already spoken for.

Follow Getzen on:

DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for participating. Getzen is my favorite brand. The valves are crazy good. For many of us, B stock, open box, or used are the only possibilities of owning the best. So thanks again for doing this.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sales are great opportunities. I got a superb Capri cornet at a very reasonable price.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Selmer K-Modified Light Trumpet (for sale)
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dawns on me that we have been selling these B Stock horns directly for a while now and many of you may not have read or remember why we are doing it.

It boils down to one thing. Saving time and resources. In the past, whenever an instrument like this would come through, we would rerun it to correct the blemish. This would almost always involve stripping off the finish (lacquer or silver), re-buffing the instrument, and re-applying the finish. Not to mention fixing any dents, scratches, excess solder, etc... Buffing, lacquering, and plating eat up a ton of labor time, electricity, and produce chemical waste that we are always trying to reduce. To make matters worse, we would take an instrument that play tested perfectly and change it for the sake of cosmetics. Unfortunately, the visually perfect horn would play differently once it was done. So we would create a larger environmental footprint and waste time to make an instrument look pretty without regard to how it plays (you know, the most important part).

This only applies to the most minor of cosmetic blemishes. Things that have no appreciable impact on performance or durability of the instrument. A light scratch in silver plating? Sure. Bubbling silver plating? No. A small bit of lint in the lacquer? Yes. Missing lacquer? No.

An added bonus is it creates a record of the blemishes. Previously, horns would just get run back through blindly without any real accountability. Now that they are being held on to, each one becomes a teaching opportunity... like the recent batch of X-13's. When there is one, it's an accident. When there are multiples with the same problem, someone is doing something wrong so let's figure it out and fix it.

Why do we opt to sell them direct? That is an issue of transparency. By selling them ourselves, we know for certain that every buyer is aware of the issues. It prevents the possibility of a B Stock being sold as a first run by someone else... either mistakenly or intentionally. It happens. Also, in the case of discontinued models or show horns, most dealers were not interested in buying them. Prior to our Reverb shop, we would just sit on them for years waiting for someone to take them.

So there you have it. A quick refresher on why we are doing this. Believe me, I would much rather every horn came through flawlessly, but that just isn't going to happen. These are handmade, artisanal pieces. Even the best baker burns a loaf of bread now and again.

Follow Getzen on:

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last post took about two hours to write thanks to interruptions. After clicking "Submit" I realized I forgot the whole reason I went to the thread this mornings.

I have a brand new 800S Eterna Bb cornet on my desk with a ding in the mouthpipe tube almost inline with the second valve. It should be going up tomorrow. Just giving you the heads up.

Follow Getzen on:

scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
I have a brand new 800S Eterna Bb cornet on my desk with a ding in the mouthpipe tube almost inline with the second valve. It should be going up tomorrow. Just giving you the heads up.

Thanks for all you do, Brett! If you ever happen upon a B stock or dinged 810S Eterna C cornet you need to sell, I would be highly interested (for my solo work behind our church cantor every Sunday). Thank you!
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 810 C cornet has been discontinued for quite some time now so I doubt we will have one pop up. Then again, we are always finding things tucked away so I guess it isn't impossible.

We do have the 3810 Custom Series C cornet, but I have yet to see a B Stock of one of those yet.

Follow Getzen on:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: