• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ttrumpet bags for multiple horns - good or bad idea?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Ttrumpet bags for multiple horns - good or bad idea? Reply with quote

I recently bought a ProTec triple trumpet bag so that I could carry my trumpet, cornet, mps, horn stands, mutes, mute holder, stand light, and music all in one case. It works well, but seeing how tightly everything fits in there makes me wonder if that's the best/safest way to transport everything. I don't really want to carry separate bags (did that before, it's a PITA), but I also don't want to put my gear at risk.

For those of you professionals who have to lug your stuff all over the place, is that the best way? I know I could get a hard case with wheels, but then that really defeats the purpose of portability.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case should have some hooks to click a mutebag on.
Although a separate bag, you don't need to carry it separately.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It works well, but seeing how tightly everything fits in there....

If the fit is "snug," then that is fine. Nothing will move around too much in the bag. If the fit is truly "tight," then you may be putting excessive pressure on the horns and other items in the bag and could wind up damaging something.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

If the fit is "snug," then that is fine. Nothing will move around too much in the bag. If the fit is truly "tight," then you may be putting excessive pressure on the horns and other items in the bag and could wind up damaging something.

Okay, snug is probably a better description, as I don't have to force them in or anything.

So it's probably good to go.

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
The case should have some hooks to click a mutebag on.
Although a separate bag, you don't need to carry it separately.

It does have a separate mute bag and a strap to attach that to, but that ends up making the case even wider, so I've been putting the mutes inside in the third partition (since I'm only carrying two horns).

1958 Conn Director 14A
Nitrotech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, I got the same protec triple bag recently. I read in another thread that people were getting light scratches on their horn and suspected their cases. I suspect it could be rubbing the zippers when removing or inserting the horn. So I grabbed a couple of the silk trumpet bags from Austin custom brass to prevent that from happening.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ttrumpet bags for multiple horns - good or bad idea? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
I recently bought a ProTec triple trumpet bag so that I could carry my trumpet, cornet, mps, horn stands, mutes, mute holder, stand light, and music all in one case. It works well, but seeing how tightly everything fits in there makes me wonder if that's the best/safest way to transport everything. I don't really want to carry separate bags (did that before, it's a PITA), but I also don't want to put my gear at risk.

For those of you professionals who have to lug your stuff all over the place, is that the best way? I know I could get a hard case with wheels, but then that really defeats the purpose of portability.

It could be that you're maybe looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Do you often find yourself in a situation where your case takes a tumble? Does it routinely go for a bounce down a flight of stairs?

If not, and if you are pretty careful about moving your case around - picking it up, setting it down, putting it in a place where it's not likely to get bumped hard or kicked over by someone else, then I'm sure everything is fine, and being packed in snug (not tight, but snug) is actually a good thing.

I've always liked ProTec cases. I have always thought that although they may not be the smallest or most streamlined cases, they offer a great bang for the buck. My main gigging case when I was playing with the wedding band, and the gigging I do with the bar band, is the large ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case.

Regarding having a case with wheels, IMO, unless you routinely travel, find yourself in long walks while holding the case, or otherwise have a physical disability, wheels simply adds weight that you don't really need.

I have wheels on one end of my drum hardware bag, but only because it's nearly 100 lbs fully loaded. I don't have wheels on any of my trumpet cases because I've never felt I had a need, and although I wasn't a "professional" per se, I gigged on trumpet anywhere from 40-60 gigs/year for nearly 2 decades.

EDIT: I forgot to answer the first question - whether or not having a case that holds multiple horns is a good or bad idea.

Literally every trumpet player I know, without exception, who gigs regularly and has multiple horns (Bb, C, D/Eb, pic, flugel) uses multi-horn cases. And it's a myriad of selections - everything from ProTec, to Reunion Blues, to Gard, to Marcus Bona....

If it was a bad idea, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be using them.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ttrumpet bags for multiple horns - good or bad idea? Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
rhatheway wrote:

It could be that you're maybe looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Do you often find yourself in a situation where your case takes a tumble? Does it routinely go for a bounce down a flight of stairs?

If not, and if you are pretty careful about moving your case around - picking it up, setting it down, putting it in a place where it's not likely to get bumped hard or kicked over by someone else, then I'm sure everything is fine, and being packed in snug (not tight, but snug) is actually a good thing.

I've always liked ProTec cases. I have always thought that although they may not be the smallest or most streamlined cases, they offer a great bang for the buck. My main gigging case when I was playing with the wedding band, and the gigging I do with the bar band, is the large ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case.

Regarding having a case with wheels, IMO, unless you routinely travel, find yourself in long walks while holding the case, or otherwise have a physical disability, wheels simply adds weight that you don't really need.

I have wheels on one end of my drum hardware bag, but only because it's nearly 100 lbs fully loaded. I don't have wheels on any of my trumpet cases because I've never felt I had a need, and although I wasn't a "professional" per se, I gigged on trumpet anywhere from 40-60 gigs/year for nearly 2 decades.

EDIT: I forgot to answer the first question - whether or not having a case that holds multiple horns is a good or bad idea.

Literally every trumpet player I know, without exception, who gigs regularly and has multiple horns (Bb, C, D/Eb, pic, flugel) uses multi-horn cases. And it's a myriad of selections - everything from ProTec, to Reunion Blues, to Gard, to Marcus Bona....

If it was a bad idea, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be using them.

Good point. I don't have to walk that far to rehearsal, and the bag does seem to do a good job of protecting both horns and my gear, so...

This is all new to me though, because not having played for 35 years, a lot of things have changed in the past few decades, which is why I'm asking a lot of questions.

But hey, it's still a whole heck of a lot lighter than my bass guitar in a hard case, amp, speaker cabinet, pedals, cables, monitors and all the stuff that goes with being a bass player (which is what I've really been doing the past 25 or so years on a pretty regular basis), so I guess I should be thankful for that!

1958 Conn Director 14A
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trickg has a point. I too tend to treat my case as if it were the instrument itself, though I do understand the ‘better safe than sorry’ thinking when buying a case. If you’re looking for optimal protection, every case/bag seems to be lacking something but in practice most of them are more than adequate.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
TheWindStar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, I tend to agree that a snug fit is better, so long as the padding provided is adequately thick and firm.

In fact, I usually suggest carefully adding a bit of makeshift padding if the fit is not tight enough. You don't want your horns rattling around excessively in any case or gig bag!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have written.. snug but not tight. I have that same Protec triple case, it is very useful. I use a combination of hand towels and instrument bags to improve instrument protection. I mostly use this case for Bb and Flugel / mutes. (Big Band/Wedding Band gigs) When I have different needs I use other cases
I also limit what I fill the extra pockets with, I have an extra ditty bag that carries the heavier, clunkier things. Limiting the case to trumpets, mouthpieces, oil, glasses, and mutes. Even the "in-bell" stands I often carry in a separate bag-if they're not snug in the case, could cause damage.
I do have a couple Messina Covers, gig bags, that hold Cornets, and small trumpets better.
So, for me, it depends upon what instruments I'm carrying.

Of course, with any gig bag, you have to be a little more careful carrying it around vs. a hard case.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ttrumpet bags for multiple horns - good or bad idea? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
Good point. I don't have to walk that far to rehearsal, and the bag does seem to do a good job of protecting both horns and my gear, so...

This is all new to me though, because not having played for 35 years, a lot of things have changed in the past few decades, which is why I'm asking a lot of questions.

But hey, it's still a whole heck of a lot lighter than my bass guitar in a hard case, amp, speaker cabinet, pedals, cables, monitors and all the stuff that goes with being a bass player (which is what I've really been doing the past 25 or so years on a pretty regular basis), so I guess I should be thankful for that!

Ah - gotcha. We do tend to maybe overanalyze things when we hit this age bracket. I know I do, although I do it with other endeavors more than music, mostly because other than a couple of relatively short breaks - less than 2 years each - I've never really stopped playing music.

I'm also a pragmatist when it comes to my gear, and I try to boil things down to asking myself a few questions:

1. What do I really "need?"
2. What do I want?
3. Can I justify what I want even if I don't necessarily "need" it?

So with that in mind, I have a few different cases I use.

1. Single horn case - Torpedo Peacemaker. When all I need is a Bb and not much other gear, this is my go-to case - it has enough room in the side pocket for most of the things I'd need, including a few mutes, valve oil, etc, I can stow my K&M stand in the bell, and it has a zippered pocket for my mouthpieces in the lid.

2. Trumpet/Flugel - large ProTec combo case. This is my main case for amplified oir big band gigging. The side pocket holds sall of my main gear like my iPad, valve oil, my IEM system, my Shure Beta 98H/C clip on mic, etc.

3. Multiple trumpet case - Marcus Bona triple case. This case was actually given to me by a friend who had upgraded his case situation, and it was just sitting. The side pocket is useless for anything but a music folder, but it at least has one. Otherwise, I've had as many as 3 horns in it - Bb, C and my Eb/D. Or, I can have a Bb, C or Eb/D, and the 3rd slot can be used for accessories such as mutes, stand light, etc.

I have a use and justification for all three. At one point I had a Reunion Blues all-leather triple bag, but I ended up selling it because at the time I was only really gigging in a wedding band and Big Band, and simply put, I preferred the ProTec trumpet/flugel combo, and the Reunion Blues was just sitting on a shelf collecting dust, so I sold it and put the money towards another project.

I have a very nice single trumpet hard case that the Jupiter 1600i came in, and I have literally never used it even once. As soon as I got the horn, it went into one of the other cases. I also had an all-leather Reunion Blues single trumpet bag. BEAUTIFUL case. I sold it - I much preferred the protection of the Torpedo case.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: