• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Oiling Valves through opened slides

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

For those that are complaining about grease gumming things up, use a slide oil for 1st and 3rd. .

Did you mean to say valve oil?

Fwiw, I use Schilke slide grease on the slides and for awhile now Ultra Pure Heavy on the reverse leadpipe connection to tuning slide. 1st valve issue has been there to one degree or another regardless of what’s been used on the leadpipe.

No no, slide oil: https://hornguys.com/products/monster-ecopro-slide-oil (this is what I use)

Schilke slide grease is fine, if you cut it with valve oil for first and third. That being said, I did not mean to imply that grease was the cause of your specific issue, just that in the thread a lot of people were concerned about grease and valves.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good to know anyway.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try slide 'oil', I've had good results with plain drug store Mineral Oil (not Baby Oil). Mineral Oil is a high quality petroleum-based oil that is clear and not scented.
It is useful for many general 'household' oiling purposes where you want to avoid 'oil smell' or stains.

Used on valves, it would be very slow - but by placing drop-by-drop of regular valve oil on the pistons good valve action can be obtained. Used that way it can 'fix' sticking valves problems due to a too thin oil not staying on the metal surfaces.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Schilke slide grease is fine, if you cut it with valve oil for first and third. That being said, I did not mean to imply that grease was the cause of your specific issue, just that in the thread a lot of people were concerned about grease and valves.

Recently got a used vintage cornet with worn valves that were rather sticky. As it was cheap student model, a valve repair wasn't an option, but in a moment of inspriation figured I'd try the same trick often used with slides: grease + oil. I first added a bit of (thin) slide gel, slowly moved the valve in the casing for a bit, and after that added some valve oil. Surprisingly enough the valves worked well after that, with reasonable compression too. Not something I'd do on any instrument I'd care about obviously, but still it was a good trick to know.

Stutrumpet wrote:
When I was a 'lad' I remember the Solo Cornet in our top level brass band would not use oil at all. He would remove a valve at a time roll it in his heavily Brylcreemed (hair cream) hair then spit on the valve!

That sounds...interesting.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stutrumpet wrote:
When I was a 'lad' I remember the Solo Cornet in our top level brass band would not use oil at all. He would remove a valve at a time roll it in his heavily Brylcreemed (hair cream) hair then spit on the valve!

That is the same approach as trombone players use with the trombone slide - a super-thin layer of Trombotine or cold cream, sprayed with water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: