• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's so special about shepherds crook cornets?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Thank you!

I see here a grand-grand-father of the leadpipe wrap of Getzen Eterna (and prior to that, King Master) cornets.

The Allen rotary valves have oval / compressed circular cross-section, possibly leading to increased stuffiness of the horn. More details on p.116 in this document:
https://www.historicbrass.org/edocman/hbj-2003/HBSJ_2003_JL01_004_UtleyKlaus_Part2.pdf

I didn’t see any critique of Allen valves in your link other than the comment that their small diameter allows them to have faster action, which is true. I played this cornet in a Civil War reenactment brass band for around 25 years and noticed no significant stuffiness. On the contrary, it’s one of the better playing cornets from that era that I’ve played, on par with contemporary Boston instruments. Interesting reading, though…thanks!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
etc-etc wrote:
Thank you!

I see here a grand-grand-father of the leadpipe wrap of Getzen Eterna (and prior to that, King Master) cornets.

The Allen rotary valves have oval / compressed circular cross-section, possibly leading to increased stuffiness of the horn. More details on p.116 in this document:
https://www.historicbrass.org/edocman/hbj-2003/HBSJ_2003_JL01_004_UtleyKlaus_Part2.pdf

I didn’t see any critique of Allen valves in your link other than the comment that their small diameter allows them to have faster action, which is true. I played this cornet in a Civil War reenactment brass band for around 25 years and noticed no significant stuffiness. On the contrary, it’s one of the better playing cornets from that era that I’ve played, on par with contemporary Boston instruments. Interesting reading, though…thanks!

Dale,

Indeed the reference above does not say anything about stuffiness of Allen valves - that it is a possibility is entirely my conjecture.

I looked up Allen valves in context of other instruments and found this information from TubeNet, posted in 2004:

Quote:
Thu May 13, 2004 9:39 pm

Chuck,
In the late 1800's horns were made with Allen valves, which were a rotary version of ovalized valves. I have seen these on Hall & Quinby, and Allen & Hall over the shoulder tubas, as well as a Lehnert centennial model tuba.
On the tubas I have played, they were far more ovalized than on the piston ovalized valve structures. While visually this gives the impression that they would induce resistance and stuffiness to the horns, all three such horns I have played have been exceptionally nice blowing horns.
It gives a very small diameter valve, perhaps a 5/8" diameter rotor for a fairly small bore over the shoulder E-flat tuba.
I'm pretty certain these are the subject of an early U.S. patent. When I locate it, I'll post a scan.

This confirms your observation that rotary Allen valves, using a "depressed circle" cross-section, can be superior in performance to other models.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
the shepherd crook is not contributing much to the sound. Unless, of course, you listen with your eyes

Sometimes that makes all the difference though. The senses and the mind are strongly connected. There have been studies that indicate people even taste with their eyes. So even if it's purely mental it still contributes to the sound.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info - nice research! The Allen valves on the Lehnert cornet are pretty tiny. I also had occasion to play a Henry Lehnert Eb cornet with the same valves, and it was a very good instrument, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: