• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Flumpet cups on a cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Monette Flumpet cups on a cornet Reply with quote

Anybody tried the Flumpet cups on a cornet piece?
How efficient are they to play?
Sound? Response?

Ps what's the deal with the lack of slap cups on cornet/flugelhorn Mpcs?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, B2 and B4 at different times. I was playing Monette trumpets at the time but not their cornet.

The cup on these is a straight V shape and very deep. Most cornet mouthpieces have a relaxed S profile to the cup with a partial second cup. This means that the Monette sounds mellow, but without the compressed edge you normally get in the upper register or at loud dynamics on a cornet. To me, this meant it did not work for brass band and it did not really have enough edge for jazz either. It was somewhere in the middle.

I note that Monette have developed a new type of mouthpiece for their Cornette instrument and I assume this will be a relaxed S shape. It is a different fitting though.

My advice would be to work out what kind of playing you are planning to do and find a mouthpiece appropriate and you will probably get better results. If you live in the US then Curry might be your solution.

I am currently playing:

Flip Oakes X3X for brass band
Custom mouthpiece made from top of a Wick 3 trumpet (deep bowl shaped) and backbore from a Bach 6 for jazz.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I play on his 3 series mouthpieces, including cornet. I have a flu pet cup on my only cornet mpc, and use it on both Bb and C instruments. It works superbly,band I've used it in a brass band, as well as many times in orchestras... I find it gives a rich, full sound. Maybe more of a French sound then British, but I can't fault them.

We all have different tastes and preferences, of course...

Cheers

Andy

edit: I should have added that it maintains its sound, unlike some mouthpieces which feel dead, and may not line up with some cases, where a 'Clydesdale teste-ground' tone is mandatory in the upper register... (think about it) Plus, his soprano cornet mpc is quite stunning. Not a flumpet cup at all, and really sings without that torsion in the sound!

Last edited by Andy Del on Fri May 13, 2016 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those flumpet mouthpieces scare me. I've seen a few and am pretty sure I could fit my finger through the throat if I really tried...
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller than a Wick 2 though. Throats are smaller too if i remember correctly (unless its the prana version).
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
jenglish
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on what Gordon said. My B2FL from ~2006 had (I lost it) a straight V shape, and extremely mellow sound. The high range is there - it didn't have that "dead" feel that I associate with a straight wick.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Ron Miles started playing cornets more often than trumpets, Dave came up with a redesign for the FLUMPET, deep "V" shaped cups which were already great-playing cornet mouthpieces. The one I play is a 1-1FL R6, where we can imagine the "R" standing either for "Ron" or "Round" since there is something a bit more bowl-shaped as the cup approaches the throat. It's still a very deep "V" shape, but this is likely related to the 'Slap' design for bowl-shaped cups, only now for the deep "V"s.

They work great, are very forgiving to play (if you don't contort yourself into a pretzel, or do anything crazy as you approach the high register --- remember that high notes feed on AIR!), and have a beautiful sound.
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpieces are for long cornet by default right?

Can the upper register cut in a concert band? Small group jazz?

Andy del, what did you mean by that Clydesdale line?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:

OK... I'll don the flame retardant suit. To me a LOT of British cornet playing sounds like a clydesdale stomping on your nuts. Tight, thin, in a word, shrill... partly due to the love affair with mouthpieces that have a four letter word as a brand, I suspect. Of course, this will be changing as other makers are forging inroads to the mother country.

I use my FL cup on Schilke short model Bb and C cornets and an Olds recording. Never a complaint about sound, usually the opposite.

I shall now duck for the cover of my natural trumpet and go plays some Bach!

cheers

Andy
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:

Resurrecting an old thread, as I realize I never responded to this last question:

No. They work equally-well on any design cornet that accepts a conventional shank.
(Actually, that said, I once went through a few Soldier's Tale rehearsals with one of my conducting students, playing a turn of the century Courtois Arban model with both a historic ('short-shank') mpc and my (normal-shanked) Prana 1-1FL R6. The student and I both preferred the pitch and articulation of the Monette, even though it was not making the contact it should have in the mouthpipe...That story is only intended to advocate for the improvement these mouthpieces offer on a wide-range of horns, not to advocate for playing short-shanked horns with a modern mouthpiece as regular routine!)

Before getting my Monette Cornette, I played that prana mouthpiece on historic instruments by Courtois, Mahillon and Conn, plus more modern instruments by Holton (long model), the Conn Director model...which doesn't fit neatly into the 'long' -or- 'shepherd's crook' dichotomy, and many others. One I tried Schilke model A1 and XA1 horns back-to-back, and didn't feel that the mouthpiece was more or less 'at home' with either design.

Hope this helps!
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the general mess of cornet mouthpieces, cups etc. I played soprano cornet using a Monette Eb cornet mpc recently. It has a very rounded bowl type of cup. My normal Bb cornet mpc with a flumpet cup worked SO much better! In other words, it helped make the unplayable, playable.

It was, however, a Sovereign soprano.

Pity it took a 2 hour rehearsal to work it out.

cheers

Andy
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am experimenting using an old Monette PRANA FL mouthpiece with a Monette 993 instrument.
Result is quite nice in my opinion. I would prefer to have a Monette cornet but the 993 is what i have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: