• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone ever take two Bb trumpets to a gig?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tptptp, I don’t think I qualify as a great player at all. But as long as my gear fits in my Fusion Urban triple bag, I’m happy. The moment I’ll need another triple bag is the point I’ll start worrying
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would usually try the concert programme on all my Bb trumpets and find the best compromise candidate for the widest range (often a heavy goldbrass Yamaha 6335GH).
If the variety it too wide (Mozart Mass to funky gospel), I will bring a Vienna Rotary trumpet for classical and a brighter/wider/looser Bb (often an Adams A5 or Conn 6B) for commercial stuff.
And don't get me even started on selecting the right mouthpiese cup and backbore for the occasion
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdublc wrote:
All. The. Time.

Not to diverge, but while I bring multiple horns to a gig, I leave my valve oil at home. I never take oil to a gig. It can be messy to carry and - wait for it - I have a spare horn in case I have a problem.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often. Here's why: if you play a summer pops concert with the orchestra, your orchestral horn may still get the bulk of the playing, but what if you have a lot of classical stuff, but also a set with show tunes, movie themes, and so forth. Or, you play a whole set of "Star Wars" music (use my E3L4 for that a lot), or you play some pops tribute to a rock band, etc. These concerts with the mix of genres musically, will usually find me carrying my Bach72G large bore and my Bach 72* medium large bore trumpets. They are just the right tools, and I already own them, so why not use them?
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only took me 40+ years to figure out that trumpet/flugel is not the only combo one could carry to a gig, so you guys seem to be decades ahead in strategic gig planning. In the past it was just „have trumpet, mp, music stand, mutes, bike, let’s go (oh yeah, valve oil, too )“.

Come to think of it, when my big band recorded a CD in the late 1990s I actually did bring two Bb along. One for almost everything (like AL just said) and one for the high tunes. All but forgot about that until just now.

… and so, a fascinating new world of options is opening up before me
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Often. Here's why: if you play a summer pops concert with the orchestra, your orchestral horn may still get the bulk of the playing, but what if you have a lot of classical stuff, but also a set with show tunes, movie themes, and so forth. Or, you play a whole set of "Star Wars" music (use my E3L4 for that a lot), or you play some pops tribute to a rock band, etc. These concerts with the mix of genres musically, will usually find me carrying my Bach72G large bore and my Bach 72* medium large bore trumpets. They are just the right tools, and I already own them, so why not use them?

I do something similar, except with mouthpieces. Changes in style/genre happen quite frequently when playing say, movie or (broadway) musical music. Switching between a shallow mouthpiece for a more commericial, bright piercing sound for say bigband and latin music, followed by a more traditional piece played on an orchestral mouthpiece. For some arrangements I've even switched during a piece (fortunately that doesn't happen too often). I can definitely see how someone would use a second instrument for that too, especially if like you say, you already own one anyway.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:

I do something similar, except with mouthpieces. Changes in style/genre happen quite frequently when playing say, movie or (broadway) musical music. Switching between a shallow mouthpiece for a more commericial, bright piercing sound for say bigband and latin music, followed by a more traditional piece played on an orchestral mouthpiece. For some arrangements I've even switched during a piece (fortunately that doesn't happen too often).

Fascinating. I use allways one trumpet and one mouthpiece during the concerts I perform (that is or symphonic work, or soul-jazz stuff or Mariachi Brass music); for symphonic work I sometimes have to carry both c-trumpet and Bb-trumpet but as well I use the same mouthpiece.
But I do carry a bottle of valve oil everytime.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ll side with those posters who bring different mouthpieces to a gig - irrespective of what kind of gig, classic music, dance gigs or whatever.

Maybe this has to do with my two parellell music roads in life - brass band and big band? Being kind of used to different styles of playing, cornetty or trumpetty with subdivisions so to say.
I´ve learned, inside out the meaning of cornetty and trumpetty.

My main trumpet battle axe throughout life has been the King Super 20 Symphony, an incredibly versatile horn - as convenient in symphonic settings as in big bands.
My new horn, the Yamaha 6335 RC is versatile too but probably not to the same extent as the King. More dependent on mouthpieces??

Another variable - I´ve never played on screamer mouthpieces - not even for lead; instead Bach 1 1/4 C or lately when lead Schilke 14B - so my sound might probably be best described as middle of the road, not too bright, not too dark. Trying to blend in - a skill honed in the front row section. Then, of course, playing lead is the very opposite of playing cornetty. So always an ear to the setting.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: