• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB mouthpieces are magic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: ACB mouthpieces are magic Reply with quote

I have an ACB 7B along with a Bach 7C, a Yamaha 14B4-GP, a Yamaha 11C4, and a trial of 3 Curry pieces. The curry pieces are 7C,5C and 3C.

The Bach 7C is good but the higher notes are hard to hit, the Curry's just don't work well with me. I cannot hit the the high notes very easily, I feel like articulation suffers and intonation is bad. I'm very flat on C above the staff and other notes are all over the place. The Yamaha's are kind of stuffy but intonation is good.

The ACB 7B, which is deeper than the Bach 7C, plays in tune, I can play the low end vey nicely and full, intonation is very good and, here's the kicker, the high end is right there even on tired chops.

So the ACB 7B piece is deep but plays in tune and has a good high end. It's like magic. I don't get how it can be so deep and yet still play high.

I'm sending the curry's back and just committing to the ACB 7B.
rpoutan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ACB mouthpieces are magic Reply with quote

I've found similar results with my ACB 5CV (V Series) trumpet mouthpiece. It's a great all around mouthpiece that is fairly deep. It produces a full, clear, and somewhat warmer tone. The piece is very efficient and has an easy high end. I also like the 5CTF (Hybrid Series) for solo playing and a darker tone. It works really great for softer playing and for ballads. The 5C rims are also very comfortable.

Last edited by rpoutan on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. He makes some pretty great pieces. I've got 5 or 6 of them, 3 that I use all the time. My main piece is a 3* in a slug blank, followed by a MV3C in the modern blank, and a 3TF in the modern blank. After playing Bach and Warburton for years, I really like the ACB pieces. They just work better for me.
tonino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MON! I have 15 ACB pieces.
Italy is years behind USA so it's not easy to find here other enthusiasts to comment such an evolution in mouthpiece design.
I'm a collector of the 17C1 and 17C2 Bach NY mouthpieces.
My main ACB axe is an acrylic blue marble top CB (Clifford's mouthpiece rendering by ACB with all the improvements and mass distribution of Trent's design) with an ACB A2 backbore. Trent recently finished and sent me the brass clone of my acrylic top. It's on the way... The ACB CB is richer and more resonant than my originaL 1930 Bach 17C1.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ACB 5CS is an amazing mouthpiece!
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main "everything" mouthpiece is an ACB 10CV, and I use an ACB Lead 1.25 for lead playing.

Most comfortable rims I've ever come across.
1948 Holton Model 48
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see in my signature I love the ACB mouthpieces as well. Even sold my GR mouthpieces (trumpet) in favor to the ACB pieces.

To me the ACB mouthpieces are more free blowing and fuller sounding then many other mpcs I've tried, without loosing the upper register.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Fluegel-Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the ACB MV3C piece in the traditional style blank. It's a great mouthpiece and Trent is a first rate guy to do business with.
flugelnovice
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would the 7b translate over to a cornet mpc? Is the ACB number system the same for trumpet and cornet mpcs? I'm down for some magic and something very bright.

Vintage King tenor trombone, clunker mpc(?), wick 4.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this chart: http://s275.photobucket.com/user/jazzmanta/media/DSC01702_zps8e4b1410.jpg.html
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
638skibum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: ACB Mouthpieces Reply with quote

BobD, I too am sold on ACB pieces. I took a chance & ordered a TA1 and found it almost "magical" like you stated. It's somewhere between a 5 & a 7 & with a cup just a bit deeper than C to my thinking but I was surprised in the upper register.
tonino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MON! I never talked to Trent about this so it's just a personal poor-man thought but I would like to understand with yours and Trent's contributions all the positive aspects related to the design of the standard blank which is my fav. It could remind the old beloved Al Cass. But it's not that thing. While many makers (as well as Trent with his heavier blanks) tend to distribute the mass and weight with integrated booster-like designs, his standard blank has its weight distributed towards the top of the mouthpiece. The rest of the body is essential, almost skeletonized if compared to a standard design like Bach.
I wouldn't change ACB with any other brand.
I'm a collector of Bach 17C1 & 17C2 and I can honestly say that ACB's Clifford Brown take is a real improvement of what I consider one of the most efficient mouthpieces ever made (the 17C1 and not the C2). I play this sizes because I like it and not for emulation.
I would buy immediately a ACB Harry Sweets mouthpiece... and this purchase would be done for pure feticism and emulation;-))
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, I know, but same topic.

I got an ACB 1-27 cup in today (for a friend in Canada - thank you, Heather), and I am REALLY impressed. It's not a real deep cup, appears to be a simple modified V with a fairly open throat, but W O W; it produces a big, clear sound. I haven't had an experience like this with a mouthpiece in a couple of years - but it is impressive.

Pretty soon after Trent started making mouthpieces (or perhaps Pickett was making them for Trent), he demonstrated his TA-TF (Trent Austin Trumpet-Flugel piece). It's the only new mouthpiece I've bought in probably 15 years or so, but so well worth it. While it appears to be be a standard TF, having the requisite DEEP V cup, the drill isn't too large at all. It's a bit hard to figure the drill size the way the cup is, but I'm guessing maybe a 23 or 24 throat. At any rate, I've thought of it for some time as a 'soloist mouthpiece'. Huge. lush sound - but with it's nominal throat size (for a TF piece), it's not hard to shoot up above the staff. I've had it for close to 10 years I think, and it's a superb mouthpiece to use in just about every horn I've had in that time. It's a classic - Trent put out a truly supreme piece when he offered his TA-TF.

I'll attach a YouTube vid of Trent discussing his 1-27 piece... Kudo's to Trent - and enjoy his discourse and demo of a really impressive moouthpiece.

Link

Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree ACB mouthpieces are great, and also great is the service and the mouthpiece problem-solving of Josh at ACB.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you were looking for a not too deep rotary mouthpiece? Currently test driving Frate but there is something about the resistance up high that does not quite line up (yet?) — but really dig the sound and slotting. Any ACB suggestion (and then go find that piece in Europe w/o custom ordering it )?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
So if you were looking for a not too deep rotary mouthpiece? Currently test driving Frate but there is something about the resistance up high that does not quite line up (yet?) — but really dig the sound and slotting. Any ACB suggestion (and then go find that piece in Europe w/o custom ordering it )?

His 1.25C fits your description. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM1UcLahyDk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: