• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Resistance - Mute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Resistance - Mute Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Lately I have been warming up with a harmon type mute ( why ? trying to get to the center of the notes by having the mute buzz ).
I feel the mute gives me comfort, limits my overblowing and thus I am much more at ease.

I guess it's a matter of added resistance to the air column but maybe I am wrong.

How would you have this same ( or at least more of it ) without a mute ?

First guess would be a ' tighter ' mouthpiece but I fear the tone would suffer ?
Tighter horn ?

Eager to read your thoughts

Thanks

JiCe
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mutes too but usually prefer something less restrictive, like an adjustable cup mute or a straight mute.

You can also increase resistance playing with the bell pointed toward and close to something like a shirt on a hanger.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Pandemic, my playing is feast or famine. When I'm not quite up to it, I switch to a slightly tighter backbore on my mouthpiece. (Threaded top and backbore system.)

So right now I'm in fair shape and using a Warburton PT backbore but could drop back to the Warburton 6 if needed. The Warburton 6 is tighter than a stock Bach #10 backbore but is a dark sounding backbore.

This is cheaper than changing trumpets - I've tried that too.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
don't try to research the same things nor feelings, which would be detrimental to your playing. Getting used to muted playing risks to false your marks while playing open, and you'll crack notes and will make your high register more difficult.
If you want to avoid overblowing by playing by feeling, do what Bobby Shew teaches : put cotton ball in 1 or 2 of your ears
best
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have no choice.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Resistance - Mute Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Lately I have been warming up with a Harmon-type mute (why ? trying to get to the center of the notes by having the mute buzz ). JiCe

That's assuming the Harmon's pitches are all exactly true. They may not be, then that process is giving you false results.

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rationale for using a harmon doesn't seem valid to me. To improve your playing with an open horn play an open horn.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my original post wasnt clear.
I'll try and explain my goals and hopes

I am in the process of changing some of my playing characteristics ( I wont go into details )

For this process, I have to let go some of my habits and have to commit to a specific process.

One of my goals is opening up the sound ( yes and no sound - JVL would understand if he is who I think he is ; ) . And the harmon is just a way I found to know instantly if I hit the spot ( or not ).
I dont play much with it, just to grasp the concept and then I go open.

What I discovered is I kinda like the resistance the mute offers and was wondering if a tighter set up would give me a little of what I like.

Thanks for your input

JC
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
I think my original post wasnt clear.
I'll try and explain my goals and hopes

I am in the process of changing some of my playing characteristics ( I wont go into details )

For this process, I have to let go some of my habits and have to commit to a specific process.

One of my goals is opening up the sound ( yes and no sound - JVL would understand if he is who I think he is ; ) . And the harmon is just a way I found to know instantly if I hit the spot ( or not ).
I dont play much with it, just to grasp the concept and then I go open.

What I discovered is I kinda like the resistance the mute offers and was wondering if a tighter set up would give me a little of what I like.

Thanks for your input

JC

Saying you want to make things more clear yet deliberately omitting details of specifically what characteristics you're trying to change and why you think using a harmon is going fix them are contradictory.

It's not clear to me how adding more resistance you have to work against is going to rectify overblowing, eliminate certain unspecified habits.

I think you'll find that opening up your sound is going to be a matter of opening your teeth and oral cavity a little and blowing more.

You said you were eager to hear people's thoughts, my thoughts remain the same - if you want to improve you playing on the open horn play the open horn.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the exact details, but the great NY studio trumpeter Bob McCoy used to teach students to play a passage in one type of mute, then to repeat it in another mute, then repeat it open horn. Unfortunately, as I said, I don't remember the specific instructions of what types of mutes he wanted you to use.

Bob McCoy bio in case you're not familiar with him - from https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Bob_McCoy

Bob McCoy (1929-2011) was the original trumpet player in the Sesame Street house band (with Mel Davis later assuming the chair).

McCoy was a long-time member of The Tonight Show band under Doc Severinsen, and played under Severinsen on records. He was also an active session player for jingles and commercials recorded in New York. McCoy played with pianist Peter Nero, The Manhattan Transfer, Enoch Light, and jazz trombonist Urbie Green.

McCoy also played trumpet on The Electric Company. He played for Broadway shows, on the cast albums, for Hello, Dolly!, The Wiz, and others. In the 1980s, McCoy worked with Yamaha designing a custom-made trumpet and mouthpieces
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do some exercises with a practice mute (shh mute) to see how easily I can play it really flexible, slippery, easily, and through the full range. I also do some bending exercise with it. It has been helpful.

Harmon, however, is a little trickier to practice with. I find to get the full buzz you need to give it more gas, which can lead to poor playing habits, for me. It depends on which mute you are using. I mostly use a Jo-Ral aluminum bubble mute.
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with a Harmon or a very open practice mute, in the way you describe can be helpful for finding the center of the tone. Playing where the mute resonates reveals if you're in the zone
Playing too much with a mute is never good, but in smaller amounts, it can be a helpful check up.
When we play open horn, we color the sound to our liking. Which some times can distract us from playing in the center of the tone.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsHusum wrote:
Playing with a Harmon or a very open practice mute, in the way you describe can be helpful for finding the center of the tone. Playing where the mute resonates reveals if you're in the zone
Playing too much with a mute is never good, but in smaller amounts, it can be a helpful check up.
When we play open horn, we color the sound to our liking. Which some times can distract us from playing in the center of the tone.

Great write-up here. I wanted to add that while it is useful for finding the center, you are training the body's response to the imagined sound. So if you begin to start to "nail" the center of the sound with the mute in, you've done positive things for your overall approach (your blow/swing/form). However, when you remove the mute, there is a learning curve there as well. Ultimately you have to begin to know what a "centered" sound is like without the mute and have your body know what to do when you want to achieve it. You're working two aspects at once.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to practice using all the mutes.

As far as practicing fundamentals, my teacher Bill Adam would sometimes have me put in the Harmon and “blow the hell out of that thing “ in order to help engaged the buccinators.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: