• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What you ‘strongly dislike’ about those Yamahas!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptPat

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last Yamaha experience was ~20 years ago, I believe it was a student model that fought every note I tried. That experience has colored my view of the brand which has not received serious consideration in subsequent instrument purchases.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
On saxes, which I played for twenty years, Yamahas always seemed to me to have a lack of depth in the sound. FWIW, I settled on a Selmer Alto and Keilwerth Tenor, respectively. Meaty.

On trumpets, for the models I want to play, to me, there also wasn't the same depth of core I could get from a Bach or Benge. But these Yamahas weren't "soulless" and not as superficial as the saxes.

I now play a Yamaha trumpet and there's a lot you can do with focused mental imagery and mouthpieces that can overcome this tone problem. To be honest, the Shew is the lightest horn I could find - I have some medical/physical problems - so am using that. I'm not satisfied with the sound.

I have a bad left wrist from years ago accident. I wear a COPPER JOE wrist collar when I play. Takes a lotvof the weight off.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 50 trumpets in the last 25 years. Many Yamahas. 6310Z (twice), 8335LA. 8335 in three different configurations. 9335CH (3x). 9335NY. I finally found a Gen. One 9335CH that I like a lot, and it's been my daily driver for the last two years. However...I love the look of a horn in lacquer with the nickel balusters. I have that on my Committee and my Del Quadro. I have been looking for a Bach with that look. I wish Yamaha would make a 9335 series horn with that look. I think stradbrother has it right: The Yamaha horns are very consistent, but often lacking in "character."

So...this week I pulled the trigger on a vintage Elkhart era Bach 37. It's a REALLY good one. Even better than the Mt. Vernon era one I compared it to. Long story short--always make sure you have a few thousand dollars available in credit at any time, and when something really good crosses your path, JUST DO IT! I missed out on a couple of great horns that I should have begged to buy. I saw a video once of Arturo trying a demo horn, and he told the rep "I'll take it!" The rep tried to take it from him and said "I'll get you a factory fresh one." Arturo wasn't having it and restated "I'll take this one!" There's a lesson there.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
OtherJMitch

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most people on here. My first horn was a Bundy, but my current is a Xeno from a couple years ago, and man it is nice. It does feel a bit sterile, but it just takes a bit of effort and you can get a lot of character from it. Some of the artist models (9xxx) play like a great Bach. I have a very good 239 C trumpet and a friend of mine let me try his Yamaha Chicago C. Very very similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: