• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Have a GOOD Bach! But…

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: I Have a GOOD Bach! But… Reply with quote

Hi all,

A pro player play tested my open box Bach 180S37 yellow brass bell for me yesterday and evaluated it as a 10 out of 10. He’s a classical player and his sound concept is brighter than mine. He compared it to a Yamaha and his own Bach he had with him and I could immediately hear a warmer sound with both of those horns that I personally prefer re warmth.

My Bach projects like crazy, more than I even want, but it’s controllable too. We both agree the playability is excellent. I think he likes it even more because of his sound preference. After he started playing it he was looking at it, like what is this!? I’m trying him as a teacher, and he only went so far as to tell me his opinion that this Bach of mine is a good one.

I have a couple more weeks to go for a potential return. The horn only cost me like $2293 out the door and it’s so new I’m using white gloves to play it.

I’m going to ITG primarily to play other horns. As an older amateur comeback player 5 months in I’ll be able to get some impressions, but probably not enough with limited time there. I can only do one day.

If I have a 2nd trumpet it should be a soft player I can noodle around with occasionally, trying to learn to play by ear. My Olds Ambassador could fit that purpose.

Should I risk giving up my Bach to find something a tad warmer? It appears brassandwinds increased the price of their 18037 open box Bachs approx $500 since I bought mine, even tho the May sale is still in effect.

Edit: I should add, at my age and level of ability and experience, my only expectation to play in a group is college or community beginning/intermediate level wind ensemble, as I did previously.

Last edited by Rhondo on Wed May 22, 2024 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the horn.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
Keep the horn.

Keep the horn!

Question: whats the serial (you can format it like: 777XXX)? Is it silver plated?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever heard a Bach 37 that was too bright. Some may prefer the warmth of the 72 but the 37 is reliably fine for most situations. What mouthpiece are you using?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
rrova

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah keep the horn. The way it seems to work is that almost everyone has a story of playing a really awesome Bach then spend the rest of their lives looking for one that plays as good but never finding it.

Keep the horn and don't look back. Really tough to find something better then a really good Bach.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard a Bach 37 that was too bright. Some may prefer the warmth of the 72 but the 37 is reliably fine for most situations. What mouthpiece are you using?

Bach Corp 5C, and I recently got a Corp 5B, which feels quite similar but I don’t yet know exactly how it affects sound etc. The 5C Corp is what I played before and it’s always felt right. I briefly tried current 5C, 1.5C and 3C Bachs.

Last edited by Rhondo on Wed May 22, 2024 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Quadstriker wrote:
Keep the horn.

Keep the horn!

Question: whats the serial (you can format it like: 777XXX)? Is it silver plated?

791XXX

Yeah, silver plated
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Keep the trumpet Reply with quote

Keep the trumpet. This trumpet will only help your sound.
Jupiter 9e silverplated short shank mouthpiece
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoiler: this is a Spoiler.

From the way you describe your ability and the level of ensembles you may play with, it sounds to me that you may be putting the cart before the horse.

It doesn't matter how a professional sounds on a particular horn, it's how you sound. And need. You might find a Yamaha YTR-2330 just what you need at present.

Beware of GAS.
(Gear Acquisition Syndrome.)

Adams A-9 Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Getzen Capri Cornet (for sale).
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
spoiler: this is a Spoiler.

From the way you describe your ability and the level of ensembles you may play with, it sounds to me that you may be putting the cart before the horse.

It doesn't matter how a professional sounds on a particular horn, it's how you sound. And need. You might find a Yamaha YTR-2330 just what you need at present.

Beware of GAS.
(Gear Acquisition Syndrome.)

2230 costs almost as much. I can play well enough to tell the difference in horns, which makes it more enjoyable to play. I can afford it and any difference in cost is negligible to me…. This horn also appears to have zero issues. Nice if I don’t have a valve issue as I did with my last one.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I risk giving up my Bach to find something a tad warmer? It appears brassandwinds increased the price of their 18037 open box Bachs approx $500 since I bought mine, even tho the May sale is still in effect.

If a horn with a warmer sound really matters to you, and you don't believe you can get there with the Bach you are demoing (such as with a mouthpiece change or rounder main tuning slide), then yes. Even if it is a "great" Bach, if it isn't right for you then there are plenty of other makes/models to choose from.

You might find that a Bach 18072 or 18037G helps you get a warmer sound, but there are many, many other makes/models to choose from. The Getzen 3051 is one of my favorites, but not as easy to find.

On the other hand, someone who's only been playing the horn (again) for 5 months might not be able to get the sound they want on any horn. Given the price you paid for your Bach and the price of new Bachs you could hold onto that horn for a while until you know for sure if it is a good match for you. You'd likely still be able to get close to what you paid for it as long as you take good care of it.

Good luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Bach Corp 5C, and I recently got a Corp 5B, which feels quite similar but I don’t yet know exactly how it affects sound etc. The 5C Corp is what I played before and it’s always felt right. I briefly tried current 5C, 1.5C and 3C Bachs.

Nothing unreasonable about that. Perhaps you'd favor a 72 bell. My first Bach was a reverse leadpipe 72/25 which I loved until it got stolen.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEEP THE HORN!

If you get rid of it too soon, you'll kick yourself later.
Of course, feel free to buy more horns ...

... so keep it for a year. If it doesn't feel right, put it away for a year while you play another horn steadily. Come back to the Bach, and if it doesn't feel right, then sure, sell it.

... but for some of us, our embouchure and taste changes, and what didn't work then, might work later.

(I wish I hadn't sold my old Yamaha YTR736, my old Hasselblad 500 C/M, my old '79 Honda CB650 ...)
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music

Last edited by mograph on Wed May 22, 2024 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I Have a GOOD Bach! But… Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Should I risk giving up my Bach to find something a tad warmer?
No!
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s easy to play and plays in tune and the tone quality is even top to bottom I’d keep it. Small changes in the mouthpiece like a slightly larger throat or a different backbore may get you to a warmer sound. Or a different mouthpiece. Lots of players gravitate to a 1.5C to get a bigger, rounder, warmer sound.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reluctantly jump on the band wagon and also say keep it. A good Bach is quite rare IMHO. However, if you do not like the way you sound on it, what difference does it make?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
I will reluctantly jump on the band wagon and also say keep it. A good Bach is quite rare IMHO. However, if you do not like the way you sound on it, what difference does it make?

What he said.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo,

Watch this interview of Arturo Sandoval with Jens Lindemann. Arturo discusses and demonstrates the concept of trumpet "sound" beginning at the video 6:00 minute mark. I think Arturo would advise you to "Keep your Bach trumpet!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJ6OiVLX9I
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
Rhondo,

Watch this interview of Arturo Sandoval with Jens Lindemann. Arturo discusses and demonstrates the concept of trumpet "sound" beginning at the video 6:00 minute mark. I think Arturo would advise you to "Keep your Bach trumpet!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJ6OiVLX9I

Ah yes, I’ve seen that clip. Thanks for posting the link!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s really up to you. You choice should make sense for you, and that may or may not align with what another person would choose.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: