• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

University of Flordia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Flordia has offered me money, but I really don't know anything about them... can anybody tell me anything about their music program? Or engineering/science?

Stuart
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is an engineering major there. He was valedictorian of my highschool, and he has recently told me he is struggling there with some of the difficult classes. He is a hell of a F. Horn player as well. -Max-

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard only the best about their miscelaneous science and medical programs. That'd be the school to go to for that, hands down. However...
I've been told that if you really want to pursue music, UF isn't the greatest school out there. I was advised to go anywhere else. FSU would be a good shot in that direction.
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science/Engineering go to UF.

Music go to FSU.... though FSU doesn't have bad science or engineering stuff either. It'd be worth your time to look into that.

I did look around before I made my choice to come to FSU, and it's #1 here in florida. But if FSU doesn't meet your fancy... I would say USF. Decent music program and a wonderful engineering program. My step father is a product of the engineering program there and he has done rather well. Let me know if you have any more questions or if I could be of any more help on the subject.

Nick
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one of the best schools overall in the country. The wind Ensemble is amazing, and Dr. Waybright is an amazing conductor. The teacher there is Dr. Davis. I hear mixed fellings but she is an overall great teacher. She used to be presedent of ITG a while ago.
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At USF, Dr. Cobel is a great teacher, and the studio is nice. I don't know very much about the school

[ This Message was edited by: Carusofiedagain on 2004-04-11 20:13 ]
Timofei

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother got his bachelors in music ed from UF (saxophone) and is lead alto in the Air Force band in Boston. He actually began as an engineering major though, which is why he went to UF in the first place, so I'm inclined to agree with most other posts here that Florida is probably the top uni in the state for academics. Waybright is fair for a director/conductor at this level. I don't know anything about the studio professors though. I would never have considered a music degree at UF.
I went to USF (actually with beboppinfool for a year or two). I studied with Don Owen and learned a heck of a lot. He really got me to open up my sound and sound like a real trumpet player. I don't think he's around anymore, since he was planning retirement last I knew (1999). Bill Weidrich is a fine conductor though, and I have a great deal of respect for him. From what I have seen and heard, USF really seems to be used as a stepping stone for a lot of professors and conductors. Just look at Mallory Thompson, who went from USF to Cincinatti to Northwestern.
I wouldn't recommend FSU unless you have an enormous ego. You'll need it. The heads there are swollen up almost as bad as what I dealt with at North Texas (and FSU isn't even close to being in the same league). Still, you'll get more out of FSU than UF.
I heard about a decade ago that North Florida had a decent jazz program. I don't know if it ever went anywhere though.
Miami has an overall a good music program, but the trumpet prof who was there last I knew was a drunk (seriously) and really just a nasty old man.
Stetson is nice if you want to pay an arm and a leg to study in a small school with a jerk (if Almeida's still there).
I did a lot of research when I was in high and was fortunate enough to experience Tri-State(FSU), Festival of Winds(USF), and the Honor Band(Miami), so I was able to visit campuses and meet a lot of faculty.
If Florida offered you money, FSU and USF probably will too. Maybe not as much, but you'll receive a better education.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timofei,

Um...

-Craig Morris is a drunk and nasty old man?
-Stetson is indeed expensive, but Tom Macklin is teaching there now.
-John Almeida teaches at University of Central Florida. Every time I've talked to him, he's seemed pretty personable. He struck me as a nice guy. How's he a jerk?

(Post edited for spelling. Man I'm lazy...)

I have for sale:
Courtois Prestige 311 Bb trumpet. Search "courtois" in the marketplace and it'll show up, & see http://www.blasticore.i8.com/hornsale.htm for pictures. $700, or a Strad.

[ This Message was edited by: blasticore on 2004-05-04 16:36 ]
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that would be Gilbert Johnson, who is now dead. Way to insult a guy after he's gone. And Moffatt Williams was previously at Stetson. I love it when people spout of info when they don't know what they're talking about. Maybe you should get your facts straight first... Oh, by the way, I'm an FSU alum, thanks for insulting me too. Sounds like you are the jerk...
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An addendum to my last post: That's a pretty nice first post there, Timofei. Perhaps you should consider your insults and critiques a little more carefully in the future, as you may find yourself in the midst of a barrage of nasty messages. Just a tip...
lewis4545
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to stand up for John Almeida. He's definitely not a jerk. He's a great guy, an excellent trumpet player, and excellent educator. I was a private student of his during high school about 20+ years ago and he helped me greatly in preparing for college.

In terms of choosing schools, I guess you need to determine what will be your major and minor. If music is your major, then I would would recommend USF or FSU. USF has really come on strong over the past few years in every subject. If you are going to major in engineering, then UF is probably best but USF would also be a good choice. Good luck!

"This world is a circus, so you have to do serious things with a light heart."
- John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: