• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Xerox Ethics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's the setup....I really like the Bartold series of orchestral excerpts, and so does my trumpet prof....I'm going to be working out of them soon, he says. I've been looking forever for a copy, but haven't had any luck. I'm told they're out of print, and that's why they're unavailable.

Here's the tricky part....the music library has the set in the stacks. I know photocopying books is more than slightly illegal, but is it wrong to copy the books considering the availability? I was planning on copying them and getting them bound so I can use them for awhile. Anybody got thoughts on this? Thanks for the input.

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I useto work at a Kinkos...where they had to pay a penalty for illegal copying, so we were trained on this issue. I also do "reprint permissions" at my current job in legal publishing. The deal is, 1. you are using this for educational purposes 2. you won't be making money directly by using the book, and you won't be selling your copy 3. you have made a good-will effort to buy the book and can't find one. Go make the copies for yourself and forget about it!
baroquetrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found out something recently about the Bartold excerpt books that's very interesting. From what I understood, all but 2 or 3 of the books were prohibited from being imported to the US because of NAFTA (something about production in Europe? I have no idea about specifics). However, a local music store recently put in an order to International Music and was able to get all but 2 of the 10 in the set (numbers 4 and 9, I think -- because they are out of print, not because of trade restrictions.

Personally, I would suggest that you make the copies, though. It took about 6 months to get in the 8 books that I have, and cost quite a bit. All but those 2 volumes ARE still in print though, I'm just not sure WHERE...no place in the US that I have seen or heard of.

-Pat
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even heard of the books (sorry, I really haven't) but if the publishing company is still around they will be glad to give you photocopy rights for free. I know I had to do this for a few pieces that were out of print and only available at the library.
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's information online about copyrights.

Yes, it's a pain. But it's more of a pain if you get caught and it IS illegal. (besides, since you posted about it here, if you do it they'll have no problem finding you )

Bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't about the same books but...

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to copy some pages from a Theory textbook for some college students. I didn't feel comfortable distributing 5 or 6 pages.

I fired off an e-mail to the publisher and I got an e-mail back within two days basically saying. "Good luck, go for it."
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that one is allowed to make a single copy of something for educational/personal use.
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, this is what I don't like about copyright laws....everybody seems to have a differant understanding about them. I've been asking some people here at school about this too, and I've gotten four differant opinions on how far you can go with xeroxing music from four diiferant people. I just wish somebody would sit down and explain the law to all of us so we could all obey it....

Thanks for letting me rant for a bit.

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I just wish somebody would sit down and explain the law to all of us so we could all obey it....

I believe I did that. A small amount of copying for educational purposes is LEGAL. The law is there to protect intellectual property value, and as the material is unavailable, and you won't be selling it (that's the bigie) you won't be prosecuted because you won't be preventing a potential sale. Furthermore (that's a legal word) you are such small potatoes that even if you sold the copies, you still would get away with it. In a Cajun accent: I garontee it!
boarder509

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was auditioning for schools 3 years ago I was trying to find these books. I searched for weeks and weeks, I only found two, that would be extremely expensive to get cause they weren't coming from the US. My old teacher knew a guy he'd taught years back that he thought had them. I looked them up and sure enough he did. I copied and bound them, and I'm the only one at school now who has the books. Its been so educationally rewarding.
Kyle
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever have copyright questions, U.S. or overseas, the U.S. copyright office has an e-mail address on their site you can e-mail your questions to. They usually respond within a day or two. If they cannot help you usually the original publisher can. (I believe I typed that above.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: