• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral Parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to get serious about finding an orchestral gig. What are the best orchestral excerpts books out there? Also, where can I find complete parts (not just the excerpts)? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Williams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portland Sheet Music (sheetmusicservice.com) is where i get all my stuff. There are other books such as the Bartold series (currently out of print but some are still floating around) and the "Top 50 Orchestral Excerpts" Book howerever it's idea to learn from the original part, i believe.

Another great series is the Rob Roy Mcgregor collection of studies based on many of the most popular excerpts. They are a little pricey but filled with great ideas on how to approach literature and how to approach new music as it comes along.

it's important to own and study the scores of these works as well, Dover miniatrue scores are very affordable.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orchestral Musician's CD-ROM Library volumes I and II are released and have complete parts for all section parts (for instance, the trumpet CDs have complete parts for Trumpet I, II etc...) and volume III will be out soon. These CDs are compilations of the most popular orchestral pieces, not necessairily the most popular trumpet audition pieces, but they cover many and at $20/CD is a very good deal. Then you just have to buy a few parts here and there to fill in the blank. Hickeys.com also sells parts if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Stuart
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Rob Roy Mcgregor books are great. By the time you get done playing through the practice examples, often the exerpt seems much easier. And they serve as an example of how to practice.

[ This Message was edited by: patrick32378 on 2004-05-18 16:21 ]
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Brandt study book.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't waste money on excerpt books. The MacGregor books aren't simply excerpts, so they're an exception to the rule, but for the most part, there are better ways to obtain excerpts. The traditional method is to find a buddy, a teacher, or a library with the parts and go nuts with the photocopier. You can also order parts for most of the standard repertoire through Kalmus. (Or through intermediate dealers, but in the end it likely still comes from Kalmus.) The International excerpt books are too full of errors and omissions to be worth the investment, IMO.
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-20 22:51, Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
I wouldn't waste money on excerpt books. The MacGregor books aren't simply excerpts, so they're an exception to the rule, but for the most part, there are better ways to obtain excerpts. The traditional method is to find a buddy, a teacher, or a library with the parts and go nuts with the photocopier. You can also order parts for most of the standard repertoire through Kalmus. (Or through intermediate dealers, but in the end it likely still comes from Kalmus.) The International excerpt books are too full of errors and omissions to be worth the investment, IMO.

I would definitely prefer to have the actual parts. I also would prefer not to just copy everything I can find. I don't have a problem paying for the music. I just wasn't sure where to start looking for the orchestral parts. Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-18 11:55, tpetplyr wrote:
The Orchestral Musician's CD-ROM Library volumes I and II are released and have complete parts for all section parts (for instance, the trumpet CDs have complete parts for Trumpet I, II etc...) and volume III will be out soon. These CDs are compilations of the most popular orchestral pieces, not necessairily the most popular trumpet audition pieces, but they cover many and at $20/CD is a very good deal. Then you just have to buy a few parts here and there to fill in the blank. Hickeys.com also sells parts if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Stuart

I don't think I've ever seen those CD's. Where are they available?
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-21 11:00, drtrumpet1 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen those CD's. Where are they available?

http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=19546&forum=4

Links to both Vol I and II. III should be out in teh winter.

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: