• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Classify HS Players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some of you people out there try and rate and give different levels of high school players out there and some different schools where they could continue? and where is really the cut of where you cant continue...
All-State, All-District, for me IMEA District 7 I believe, then like All-School District, Then like 3rd or 4th at your school... I dont really know what exactly I'm asking but I hope you can decipher what i meant...kinda hard to explain.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're wondering if you're a good enough player to be a music major or participate in a college music program. Is that close?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is indeed the case, there is no answer of what is good enough and what is bad enough to be a music major. The only qualification is loving to play/teach your instrument, and a desire to be the most proficient at it that you can be. Somebody is always better than you (in my case, more than a few somebodys!), but the secret to being a successful college music major (IMO) is finding a program and a teacher that you like, a studio that you fit in well with, and then going to town on that trumpet! It's not what you've done before you go to college, it's what you do while you're in college that counts. Hope this helps.

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
GrumpyPe0n
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes someone is always greater than you...that's why we practice to make ourselves better than that someone
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind is that many times when auditioning the panel or whoever is listening to judge whether they would like you in the school or not they are listening for potential. They want someone that they know will be able to grow as a player along with having a great and friendly personality.
Adam Metzler
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt you're right on with the idea that i don't know if im good enough. I'm a sophmore in HS and this year I've made extreme strides in my playing and my director is really impressed. I unfortunately haven't been able to play with a private instructor yet, I start next Wednesday I'm excited, and I just really need to polish off my playing according to my directors and such. I feel that I have lots of room to improve and unfortunately don't think I'll ever be best in my school, we have a prodigee type player, but I absolutely love to play and teach, I used to want to teach history but have found the same drive in helping with my old elementary school trumpet section...gotta start somewhere, and i really think that I could do it. I can kind of get intimidated about my playing in different settings around peers that I really respect. My director told me next year I've got a real good shot at getting second in our top symphonic band and playing lead in the top jazz band but I still don't feel very confident. So I guess the question is when should I feel confident in my playing as far as being able to get to the next level. Up until this point I've just kind of coasted with my range, double A at this point which I'm happy with, but now my directors are working with me one on one and im gonna start lessons so I'm really starting to think about college. I would really like to go to a good program but don't want to bother with some auditions if I don't really have a chance anyway So as far as those different levels are there certain schools that might kind of correlate, and I do understand every place is different like the schools are different and where I went to school is different but I'm just trying to find someplaces to look at seriously.
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do auditions for honor bands and everything in your area, youth symphonies and such. It should help your confidence level. Also, try out for msuci camps for over the summer. If you go to any, they will help you alot.

"Do not be afraid to copy someones style, it is through this process that we begin to develop our own."~Phil Smith, New York Philharmonic principal trumpet
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion to attend some music camps. When I was your age, I went to several camps. That gets you out of your school bubble. You get to work with some serious players, play challenging music. That will give you a clue of how you stack up to other players your age. So many players are top dogs at their school, but compared to other schools may not be as good. It is a real eye opener. Luckily for me, in high school days I knew I was the best at my school, but it did not go to my head because I had attended camps and heard players better than me. I also started playing professionally at age 17. I played 4th trumpet in a wonderful big band. I knew there were cats better than me. I was just glad to be improving and playing which is what I love to do. If you take lessons, that would be a great idea. I only had one year of lessons in high school and I still went on to college and was successful. Lessons definitely give you an edge. Good Luck!!
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience, let me tell you that making ensembles and auditions don't really matter. Citing an example...
I made All County Jazz Band my junior year. I decided to (and was looking forward to) try out my senior year (I just graduated btw). I gave rides to 3 people, going to the audition. One was a buddy from my school who plays trumpet, another was a girl from another school who as well plays trumpet, and the third was my ex girlfriend *grunt* who plays bari sax (and clarinet, some flute, tenor, blah blah blah). The results came back a few days later from the audition, and out of the 4 people going to the audition in my car, I was the only one that didn't make it. The guy from my school had taken great strides in trying to improve, so I can say that he earned it. My ex...I don't like her very much at all, but she earned the seat. The girl on trumpet had only played jazz a couple times before (period. End of story). She made 2nd (solo) book in the ensemble. I had a bad day for an audition.
That didn't piss me off. Honestly, it didn't. It took a few minutes to realize that, but I don't think i could've cared less after that. It was a single audition, and I knew I was perfectly capable of playing in the ensemble, so I didn't see any reason to cry over spilled milk. I wasn't even thirsty, so to speak. I had a lot of other musical endevours going on anyway, so losing one thing wasn't the end of the world.
...But what did piss me off is that she didn't show up when it came time to play in that band. She ended up doing her school musical (pit orchestra trumpet) that day, even though I offered to find her a sub for it. Hey...not my life.

Oh, the moral of the story is to just practice and become as good as you personally want to be. Screw everyone else's progress.

I have for sale:
Courtois Prestige 311 Bb trumpet. Search "courtois" in the marketplace and it'll show up, & see http://www.blasticore.i8.com/hornsale.htm MAKE ME AN OFFER!

[ This Message was edited by: blasticore on 2004-05-22 13:38 ]
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you're right. It is really about improving and getting better. Don't compare to others. Be the best you can be.
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There's a tremendous difference between judging honor band tryouts and evaluating college auditions. The focus on the honor band tryouts is to get the currently most capable players correctly selected for an ensemble RIGHT NOW. The college audition is more about identifying what a musician can be capable of accomplishing over a multi-year period. Yes, of course many times the same people will be looked at approvingly. But many times not. If you were a veteran DMA professor of applied trumpet, do you really want the hotshot freshman (with the Clarke book, the double C, and the attitude) who's never heard of Charlier etudes much less ever played one, to spend the first several years in your studio fighting your best efforts at giving him an education in musicianship? Maybe, maybe not. Some students' (successful) backgrounds make them far less teachable in a college/university studio than others with less apparent talent, but greater willingness to leave attitude and self-absorption at the door. The physical and technical sides of trumpet playing lure many away from taking an interest in, let alone successfully discovering the music.

Two nights each week, I coach young people in club level track and field for UK Athletics. The US college/university audition approach is often quite similar to the talent identification process for AAA elite selection and training programs. Example.... between (1) a U17 female who has been training/running for 9 years can run 800m in 2:15 and has a VO2max of 60+, or (2) a U17 female who has been training/running for 2 years can run 800m in 2:25 and has a VO2max of 48+, which athlete will outperform the other 2 years from now and forever after? It's all about development of potential. Not whether you were the first in your school to reach the next step, and not whether you started playing at 18 months and played your first high C at 6 years of age. Be patient, learn to accept corrective feedback as you begin private instruction, and believe in yourself.

Dave
londonhusker
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you really judge potential though as far as auditions? So one thing to take out of possibly making these honor bands is to remain humble cause that pays off down the road? That's one thing I have accepted because as frosh another player was that hot shot who got first chair and honor band and stuff so I understood that there are most definitely people out there better then me I just want to get better...any more feedback is good
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmkt16,

One thing that I can say for certainty - The feeling of being slightly out of your league will never completely go away, so long as you retain your humility. And I've found that that humility can propel you to great heights. As soon as you start feeling that you're better then everyone else at everything is the time to worry...

It sounds like you have what it takes to "give it a shot" at the collegiate level - There are many wonderful teachers out there that can transform you and show you ways of playing and thinking that you may never have thought of. They will be able to show you ways to develop confidence so that you can go into pressure-filled situations knowing that you have what it takes to perform great music.

And it also sounds like you're starting early enough to do some diligent research on who exactly to study with. I'll leave that up to you and other posts on this forum - There are lots of posts regarding who the most accomplished and respected teachers are - They are a great place to start, and if you have the means, you should try taking lessons with them. Find out what they have to say regarding your potential.

Good luck with your journey - It's a fun one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!!!!! To everything previously

my own two cents

I'm a trumpet player yet to graduate HS but have been accepted and will be going to Umass Amherst in the fall as a trumpet performance major.
I am by no means the best trumpet player. HAHAHA, sorry makes me laugh to even think it.... anyway the point is no one knows whether you are good enough to cut it. not even really you. I don't. My dream is to play trumpet in a big time symphony. is it going to happen? am I good enough? I dont know, but Im gonna try because its the ONE THING I WANT TO DO. to give you an idea where I am as a player. my range is a high C ish. some days higher, most days lower . I play in a youth symphony in Manchester. and have only been to allstate once. If I were to rate you, I'd say it doesnt matter. Do what you want to do. Period. End of sentence.

Even if you only get accepted to the local college or university try and go for it anyway. My percussion instructor went to the "tiny local college across the street" and he is phenomenal! He's a Nationally recognized percussionist. SO like everyone else said start researching and take lessons with potential professors, that is definitely the best research you can do. best thing... free lessons!

~J.R.R. Tolkien
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! Follow you dreams.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're from Chicago. My suggestion is to VISIT the U of I in Champaign-Urbana. Call the music school and set up a time to visit with the trumpet prof there. He will be able to tell you exactly what you need to know. Don't be too intimidated to make this call. It's important and will tell you a lot more than you can get here.
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I visit UofI a bunch because our high school always does stuff there and alot of people go there for music. It seems really cool, gotta love the hall at kranert center. I love that environment. I plan on taking up that suggestion and calling down, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best and most overlooked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: