• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Suggested Order of Study of Different Approaches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 13:59 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great opener, David! This is very thought provoking.

I think that the Chicago and Adam concepts aren't any more advanced than the others. Therefore, I don't see them as being part of a sequence. To me, the Chicago & Adam approaches (which have much in common) sort of work with and around the other approaches you list. They are more of a psychological approach-a way of thinking and an attitude-as well as an approach to trumpet tone that can easily be applied to all of the other approaches you mention. It seems to me that, regardless of which set of exercises you are working on, if you approach them with the Chicago/Adam approach (free flowing air and vivid mental picturing of the desired result) you will reach your goals quicker and more musically.

Likewise, I wouldn't eliminate Caruso from your list of "traditional approaches", particularly if you include other less than mainstream approaches like Maggio or Gordon. For instance, Mr. Adam counts Maggio as one of his teachers and often mentioned that many of Maggio's students were assigned some sort of long-setting exercises that are quite similar to Caruso's calisthenics. Fro some reason these long-setting exercises were not included in Carlton MacBeth's book of the "Maggio System".

I have found that a small amount of Caruso work is complementary to just about any traditional approach to the trumpet.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2002-05-16 19:34, Quadruple C wrote:
Having qualified teachers for any approach to the trumpet is very valuable and often times very needed.

Well, I agree completely with that statement! Am I to assume your ordering is for those without a teacher? Certainly getting good sound first seems important, and that's perhaps the most difficult thing to do without a teacher. Clyde Hunt and others have call and response format beginner's methods, with recordings, to help out. Some of the "methods" out there will work with about any other system, as PH notes. But, if you find a method which works for you, why try all the rest? Curiousity? (I can buy that one!) I'm confused.

Without a teacher, I'm not sure what the ordering means, exactly. There aren't specific books and exercises for some of these, and you left some off which do have texts (e.g., SC, Costello, Reinhardt, Caruso, Maggio, TasteeBrothers ) Where does Jeff's Balanced Embouchure fit in? Or, Clyde Hunt's Sail the Seven C's (boy, gotta' love that title!) I assume from your words it's from easiest to hardest to learn?

I also agree with your last statements, being an experimentalist engineer rather than a real musician...

QuadC sez: I like the idea of learning all of the approaches and finding what works best for you as an individual. Take what you like and leave the rest.

I'm obviously not sure what you are looking for in response, making this perhaps the most disjoint, haphazard post I believe I've ever made. Help me out here, OK?

Curious and confused - Don
PH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that "BADBOY" masquerading as Don Herman?!?
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 14:00 ]
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I waited several minutes before going ahead and hitting the "submit" button just because I wasn't sure what the heck I was saying. I think I overthunk this one! Now, I don't know whether to delete the whole thing, or leave it as an example of just how badly logic and language can be shredded...

Bottom line: With a teacher, order don't matter because you get the instruction from the teacher. Without a teacher, order doesn't matter because some things will click immediately (Clyde's "aha" moment) for some and not (perhaps not ever) for others.

Does that make more sense? I think I need more than three hours sleep tonight...

Don - slinkin off, tail down, to lick wounds and snuggle up with a dictionary and my Harbrace handbook... Oh, the heck with it, I think I'll reread Song and Wind! yeeessshhhh...
PH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, you know I'm just funnin' with ya!

Sleep tight!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-24 14:01 ]
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2002-05-16 23:05, Quadruple C wrote:

(1) Hello Don, Nice to have you in the Chicago forum by the way.

Thanks! I'm hoping to do a better job than I have been -- maybe when school's out.

(2) My suggestion was simple in that some players may want to see and incorporate things from more than one angle, that is all. I hope this helps. David

Yes, much. The "try different things" idea is one I think very important, and is underutilized by many of us. Especially since there's such a wealth of information (new, old, and old made new

Thanks! - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: