• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Used drum and bugle corp horns?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who had the posting about the used horns on drum and bugle corp sites.

Does anyone have a link to actual used horns for sale on one of their sites?
I visited a few of the sites by linking up off of
dci.org and could not find any horns for sale.

Thanks
Mark
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't eBay one good site to get used trumpets...?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, it's the Cadets/Crossmen and Cavaliers with the used horns, due to their deals with Yamaha. Check their websites to see if there are any left.

Also, I think the Troopers have some old two valve sops left if you're interested.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the Cavaliers and the Cadets and Crossmen all have their Yamaha's up for sale here's some links http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?cmd=showstory&id=396
http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5186
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was looking for.
Thank you for finding those sites for me.

Mark
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this thread
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=21704&forum=7
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you looking for bugles in the key of G or marching brass in the key of B flat?

I have may g horns for sale.
KungFuCharlie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sale your G bugles? My brother and I have enough of those old horns to field our own corps. I just need a Kanstul powerbore and my collection will be complete.
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-07 13:12, camel lips wrote:
are you looking for bugles in the key of G or marching brass in the key of B flat?

I have may g horns for sale.

I am looking for a B flat horn. I went to the bluecoats site and they still have 10 kanstul B Flat marching trumpets for 400 dollars each.
They are around 950 dollars plus shipping at wwbw.com so that is a decent price for a used one.
Those may be a little too big bore at .470 for all around use and may be a little hard to play for my daughter who is in high school now.

I went to the other two sites mentioned in the thread and found some Yamaha Xeno B flat trumpets for around 1000 dollars that will be only 3 months old when they are sold this august. That might be a good deal if the trumpets are in like new shape with minimal scratches or dings.

[ This Message was edited by: mark125 on 2004-07-07 19:25 ]
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-07 13:50, KungFuCharlie wrote:
You sale your G bugles? My brother and I have enough of those old horns to field our own corps. I just need a Kanstul powerbore and my collection will be complete.

I hear you there.I would like to trade about 7 of the DEg's I have for one Powerbore.The powerbore is one sweet bugle.I play one now with the Music City Legend and I talked jsut about everyone into buying one with the exception of two.

I plan on playing Mello next year.Time to order a Kanstul Mello
flugle-me-elmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of warning...three months old in a drum corps.......think dog years! Depending on the corps those things can get pretty beat up and mistreated. Cavaliers or people using Xenos are probably fine...but be weary of some. IF a corps (for some reason) didn't require members to wear gloves at rehearsals, the amount of sweat acid gunk can wear through plating pretty quick! (trust me...my reciept from Anderson Silver Plating shows it). Just some more input..

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -- Douglas Adams
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful. You get what you pay for. I bought a d&b trumpet last year. The outside was kept shiny with just a few minor dings, but the inside was totally neglected. It came with the 1st and 3rd valves reversed, the inside had thick green/black fuzzy stuff growing throughout the entire horn, the valves were black as tar, all the slides were stuck and the leadpipe has pit marks inside of it where it's corroding. The kids also carved marks into the tuning slide. And it was used by someone with very large, acidic, sweaty hands. The silver and gold is eaten away a bit through in one spot and silver is gone in a couple of other spots. The valve stems were corroded, the springs were rusty and the pads and corks all needed replacing.

I spent A LOT of time and some money cleaning the trumpet up, even had it at the shop, but not everything will come clean. It still sounds good though, so, for the money, it was worth what I paid for it. But don't expect a like-new looking horn to show up at your doorstep if you order one.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The kids also carved marks into the tuning slide.

This is a tuning system developed by Wayne Downey, who has been with the Blue Devils for many many years and has won at least 10 High Brass trophies. Depending on the temperature and humidity level, the players will all set their tuning slides to a certain mark and fine tune it from there.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
mark125
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I will more than likely not buy one of those horns. I was wondering why someone would use a horn for only three months then sell it for a 33 percent loss.
On one of the sites the horns are up to a few years old that are for sale. Maybe they are taking care of their horns better to make them last for a few years instead of a few months.
I will keep on looking elsewhere and possibly just buy a new one to get a warranty and avoid the hassles.

Thanks
Mark
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cadets/Crossmen and Cavaliers sell their horns b/c they get some new ones from Yamaha every year. They started off with the 6335's and started rotating Xeno's in when those models came out. Bluecoats have had their Kanstuls for a few years. I'm not sure why theirs are for sale. I guess they want to rotate in some new horns. You should expect a certain amount of wear and tear considering those horns are used for close to 10 hours a day, outdoors, for three months straight.

KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As sales manager at Kanstul and as a member of the brass staff of Impulse Drum & Bugle Corps, I have observed the following:

Certain brands tend to stand up to the rigors of drum corps better than others. It's a fact that there are 20+ year old Kanstuls (and 25+ year old Benge American Heritage and even 30-40+ year old Olds bugles) out there still in use. There are 20 year old Kanstul bugles in Indonesia and Thailand where parts are not readily available. They are still in use today. I have seen some "vintage" DEG (Getzen-made) and King horns that seem to have held up over the years. Only time will tell if the Yamaha products will hold up in this increasingly-demanding activity.

I have observed three year old Kanstul mellophones used by Spirit Drum & Bugle Corps that have a high resale value even though they have essentially been used three fall seasons by the Marching Southerners of Jacksonville University and three seasons by Spirit.

Another observation is that most corps now take very good care of their marching brass/bugles in order to protect their investment. Gloves and proper care can now ensure that those horns will have top resale value (or trade-in value depending upon the agreement with the manufacturer)

We are also finding that Kanstul horns are the "weapon of choice" for most senior, alumni and reunion corps. The members of those corps are usually required to provide their own instrument, as opposed to most Junior corps which often have full sets of horns for their use.

(the edit was to replace Malaysia with Indonesia - my mistake)

[ This Message was edited by: KanstulBrass on 2004-07-15 11:55 ]
madster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old single valve bugle that I am considering puting on Ebay. It is about the length of a trumpet and it says W.F.L. DRUM Co chicago Ill and the numbers 4346. I can't find much info on the net except that W.F.L. is what teh Ludwid Drum Co. was called. The bugle is in good origional condition. Email me at doria1@aol.com if you want more info.
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles is correct about Kanstul being the Weapon of choice with drum and bugle corps but mostly in high brass.

Just this past weekend I witnessed the Atlanta Corpvets and looked hard at the horn line.Almost the entire sop line had Kanstul power bores and the mello line was carrying Kanstul in large numbers.Kanstul defiantly has its act together making high brass for marching bands and drum corps.I would only use a DEG high brass horn for a plunger and that would only be in a emergency.

When in comes to lowbrass its about a 50 50 split with senior /alumni corps.DEG seems to do a very good job with low brass instruments because they are most all built by Wilson.

When it comes to contras its almost un-heard of to see a Kanstul contra floating about.I never see one.That is not to say they are not out there.I just haven't seen one.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluecoats and Spirit definitely use the Kanstul contras. I just think that not many corps want to handle them, especially the old folks. They're a beast! To me though, nothing sounds better than Spirits contra line on those 21" belled Kanstuls in BBb. I get to see them and Corpsvets twice this, plus a bunch of other great corps. Woo!

fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Coats had like 10 Kanstul Coliseum Bb trumpets left last time I checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: