• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Hollow Men

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this solo performed when I was at camp 2 weeks ago. It was by Vincent Persichetti, and based on a T.S. Elliot poem of the same name. It was very neat. Can anyone tell me about it?
Kenny Roe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've performed it a few times. Both with piano and string ensemble. Fantastic music. Persichetti was a wonderful composer. I would advise you to read and study the poem to keep things in context.

Good luck to you.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Elliot" is correctly spelled Eliot.

THE HOLLOW MEN is one of Eliot's most famous poems.....written in 1925. If you go to a good library, you will find dozens of books about this particular poem and perhaps hundreds of articles or sections within literary books on it. Cool poem. You should read it. The poem is interesting because it has meanings on several levels. It is obvious that Eliot is speaking of man's self-destructive nature and speculation on what lies after death.

I have performed the work with piano several times but have done it with organ perhaps 50 times. I have also recorded it with organ. It was originally written by Persichetti in the mid-1940s for solo trumpet and strings. I think it would sound great with strings, but I have never played it with strings or heard it that way. I hope to someday.

The music does not literally follow the poem. However, it does display the same coldness (hollowness?) and intensity (anguish?) of the poem. About 3/4 through the piece it explodes into an "apocolypse" which is described in the poem as well. After that, a return to stark and cold harmonies ("open" chords without thirds or sixths sometimes) with the trumpet playing soft and serene "tapps" figures.

It is a great piece of music. I have found that telling the audience (verbally) a bit about it, and sometimes reading a few small sections of the poem, will really help the audience to understand what it is all about. I have always noticed much better applause whenever I gave some explaination before playing it.

Hope this helps.

Dave Hickman
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a recording by Chris Gekker that I really enjoy: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001SHY/qid=1091757086/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-2706217-3508728?v=glance&s=classical

Anthony Plog has recorded the Hollow Men with organ: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000016IJ/qid=1091757086/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-2706217-3508728?v=glance&s=classical

I think Plog also recorded it on LP many years ago, probably not available any more.

Enjoy,
Matt
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the David Hickman recording with the Naples Philharmonic, he plays it with organ and it sounds great!! Thanks a lot Mr. Hickman!!
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say one of the two most personal and sincere sounding pieces written for trumpet along with the halsey stevens. the closing lines of the hollow men put chills down my back.. emotionally a very deep-touching work! david hickman's recording with organ is a must have and of all 3 recordings i own with this work, hickman's evokes theses previously stated reactions like no other. BRAVO mr. hickman and thanks for contributing to this topic!!!!
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started working on this piece as well. I have heard the Yoram Levi recording with organ (not strings) and I liked it, though I don't think he put much feeling into it. Anyway, I think I enjoy most of Persichetti's works because of how vastly different they are from each other. Compare Hollow Men, Parable XIV and Pageant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: