• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet MIDI website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klorenz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, hope all is well! I'm sure that many of you are aware of the trumpet midi website that I have created about a year ago. If you are not familiar with this website it is:

http://www.geocities.com/trumpetmidi

I built it a little over a year ago and as you can see, it's pretty shabby. Although I was an information systems major in college, I have little experience in web desgn and I don't really have the time/patience to put into this website. I'm sure there are a lot of web designers/computer hobbyists on this forum that could put together a professional looking website with it's own domain. As a just graduated from college and started my first full-time job, I don't have a ton of money to spend, but wouldn't mind putting a few bucks into this website to make it look great. I also wish to add a lot more content as sequencing classical trumpet stuff is one of my hobbies (I'm real exciting aren't I!! hehehe). Anyway, if anyone is interesting in building this site, please contact me via this forum or by email at klorenz@loyola.edu. Please send me information about costs as well as sample websites you have created in the past.

Also, for future updates, what would some of you out there like to see. I have access to a lot of music scores. Would there be any likelihood that people would be willing to pay for my services or website? I would also like to start including some PDFs of tunes. I'm not trying to blow my own horn (pun intended!), but i know that I have the most comprehensive trumpet MIDI site on the web. Do you folks think that it would absurd to charge a small amount for access to certain material on the site?? All suggestions/criticisms/requests are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all, and be well!
~Kurt Lorenz
klorenz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does no one have any feedback or comments to make on my site at all? I'm trying to make this site as helpful as possible to my fellow trumpeters! I want to make this as nice a site as possible with really useful stuff......I know MIDI files cant sometimes be jumbled up by notation programs, so I do plan on creating PDFs. Having no feedback makes it a little hard to know what to change or add. So come on guys, let me have it!!

All the best,
Kurt
Shaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This is nice. This is a definate bookmark for me, because I do a lot of arranging. MIDIs will definately be a huge help.

As for the site format. You may want to go to Best Buy or somewhere and purchase Frontpage or Microsoft Publisher. Both of these programs make webpage design very easy and they look nice too. As for right now, the site looks fine! I bookmarked it after about 15 seconds of looking at it. I'm can't wait for the PDFs!

Good Luck,
wtp
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that not all that many use trumpet midi files, thus the dearth of response. As for the site, it seems a reasonable, functional site so why worry too much about appearances? I have a slow dial-up connection so appreciate a clean site.

As for doing it as a service, there are a number of folk doing it already (transcription, and midi files), some for fun and some for pay. One catch is that you'll have to deal with copyrights and such if you truly want to make money (any money) on it.

FWIWFM - Don
klorenz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that since the majority of these composers on my site are baroque and long gone, then their music was not under any copyright whatsoever. I thought that making arrangements on these pieces are free territory. I don't want to mess with copyright laws, so let me know please! Thanks!
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know -- I'm not a lawyer! The old stuff should be fine, I'd think, so long as you're not talking about a specific arrangement. I was thinking more along the busines lines -- doing it for money. Presumably you can transcribe/arrange the old stuff as you like and sell it as PDFs or midi or whatever. I honestly don't know the details, just that a couple of people with whom I've corresponded (and one personal experience) have made me wary of the laws... My best advice on copyright law is to find somebody else to advise you!

There are folk on TH doing arrangements who can likely offer some advice.

As for the rest of your site, I'm swamped at work right now, but do plan to take a look at the files when I get a breather (end of the month).

Thanks! - Don
Nickyboy2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might add some jazz and swing type stuff to it also not just the baroque stuff

Getzen 300 Series (Lacquer)
Zeus Guarnerius (Copper, Nickel. Brass)
1918 C.G Conn Wonder Cornet (silver)
NYTC Stage 1 California C (Silver)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: