• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vacchiano!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a recording of "On The Waterfront" with Vacchiano playing first trumpet.
I vividly recall that moment at the end of the suite where the trumpet is supposed to dominate the ensemble. It is one of the few times the trumpet is sanctioned to soar above the ensemble. Vacchiano burns!!!
Wilmer
mconley1986
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. His high register playing especially sends shivers down my spine. I am so sorry to hear that he's having heart trouble. But no matter what happens, at least we know that his memory and influence will live on. I love the that quote:"William Vacchiano has passed one his art to enough people to populate a small city!" Too bad I forget who said it.
redhawktrumpet85
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Vacchiano is simply amazing. His recording of Mahler 5 under Bernstein is incredible, and his recording of Pictures is also amazing. He has such an awesome sound, and is one of the most complete players I've heard (maybe short of Bud). Not only did he play at such a high level, but his teaching success may never be rivaled. To turn out as many successful students as he did is simply astonishing. God willing, he'll be with us for another few years.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-12 23:21, redhawktrumpet85 wrote:
Mr. Vacchiano is simply amazing. His recording of Mahler 5 under Bernstein is incredible, and his recording of Pictures is also amazing. He has such an awesome sound, and is one of the most complete players I've heard (maybe short of Bud). Not only did he play at such a high level, but his teaching success may never be rivaled. To turn out as many successful students as he did is simply astonishing. God willing, he'll be with us for another few years.
Each one of us is unique. Vacchiano, Voisin, Glantz, Herseth, Mager, Krauss, Bliger, Murphy all bring their own qualities to trumpet playing.
Wilmer
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great reference to Vacchiano in an article about Mark Gould from the Jan 2001 ITG Jounal. He talks about Sound and then relates that to his vivid listening experiences with Vacchiano’s sound:

From page 20, “When I go to clinics, they talk about bright and dark. Bright is bad. Dark is good. This is the wrong model to set up. I like to hear a sound that is very centered and focused, one that has brilliance and can be both bright and dark. That kind of sound can have many colors, but the core of the sound has brilliance that will project. People used to tell me that Herseth had a dark sound, and I looked at them as if they were insane. [laughter] Are we hearing the same guy? There are dark elements to it, but there’s a lot more going on.”

And my favorite from Page 18, “Yes, I heard Vacchiano. I remember his sound. That sound! It was a big, strong, chocolate, beautiful sound.”
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, where does Gil Johnson fit in to this picture (along the idea of beautiful sounds)?
-efwd
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efwd,

In a topic last year called What does “core sound” mean? there are some references to Gil Johnson’s sound in the middle of the post that may interest you. I really enjoyed this post!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-08-13 16:24 ]
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-13 15:59, etownfwd wrote:
So, where does Gil Johnson fit in to this picture (along the idea of beautiful sounds)?
-efwd
Gil would be playing when I arrived at lessons. He liked to play the Rene Laurent Etudes. Quite often Gil was playing the much miligned long belled Bach piccolo, and sounding like an angel.My lessons were at the Settlement Music School in Phila.
Gil was filling in for Sigmund Hering who on tour with the Philadelphia Orchestra.
Gil's sound was focused, warm and vocal. He sometimes sang along with the lesson.
I am touched every time I hear"Blumine."
Gil Johnson...........velvet, rich velvet.

Wilmer

[ This Message was edited by: wiseone2 on 2004-08-13 17:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: