• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tryouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uttrumpethoss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an audition I have coming up I had to pick out two contrasting pieces. I've decided to play Arbans #6 and Charlier #2. What would be better to play 1st? I'm not sure if i should pick the one I can better, worse, or go with fast or slow. :-/ so i thought i would see what everyone else thought.
1 1/2 C Megatone (silver)
bftrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the etude that you sound best on and are most comfortable with first. This will help ease the performance anxiety that will most likely be there. By starting off with your most comfortable etude, you will relax and play up to your full capability and that will also help keep you more relaxed for the second etude (which should also sound just as good as the first, don't go to an audition with something questionable)! Good luck with your preparation and your audition.

Ben Fairfield

[ This Message was edited by: bftrumpet on 2004-08-14 16:23 ]
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play the lyrical etude first. This helps me calm down, get the air going, get used to the room, be expressive etc... then, the technical etude second to have fun, show off a little and now that the hardest part is over (the lyrical etude)
cbradwhitfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Benji on this one; any audition where you can choose your own material is a chance to show your strengths rather than display any of your weaknesses. Seeing that you have already selected two contrasting styles (as required), then I would suggest that you perform whichever work sounds the best first. In most cases, the jury will have its mind made up after the first piece anyway, so it makes the most sense to begin with whatever is the most comfortable, and we are usually most comfortable with pieces which call on our strengths rather than our weaknesses. Good luck with the audition!

-B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: